ladyskydiver

An "Oh shit" moment at work...

We've had this 130 lb. St. Bernard in hospital for the past 13 days. He's got blastomycosis (a fungal infection) that takes a long, long, long time to get them healed from it...if they ever do.

I've been giving him his meds, sitting in his kennel with him and petting him this whole time. He's an absolute sweetie. :$

Well...lately he's started to be a bit snappy with my co-workers but hasn't been with me....that is until last night. Last night, I was crouched in front of him and petting him like normal when all of the sudden - no warning, no growl, no tensing up, nothing - he lunges at me and tries to bite my face. He just missed my face and went after both arms. Luckily, I only ended up with a bite wound on my hand. B|

Talk about an "Oh shit" moment. I thought I was going to have a really, really bad night last night.

His "mom" disciplined him right away and when she brought him out of his kennel, he came over and "apologized" to me. :$ But, I'm no longer giving him lovins unless he's outta the kennel! And mom gets to give him his meds unless he can be coaxed out of his kennel and the doc is there to help.

*sigh* It sucks 'cause he was so sweet to sit and pet when the night got a little long. [:/]
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

you sure it isn't a Pit Bull?
according to some people...those are the only breed that act that way

1) I'm thinking this prolly had more to do with their natural behavior... doggies that have been cage/kennel trained consider that space as theirs. If their not feeling well and don't want to be messed with, their apt to be a little snippy when in their. In short, their the alpha male in their space... period. Glad the OP wasn't hurt worse and God forbid, mauled...>>
2) I don't agree with the assumption / feeling / attitude that folks have (apparently not you Normiss... ) that Pits are naturally agressive. Doggies are much like children in that their behavior is largely a product of their environment. I've been around Pit's that are extremely loveable and friendly (willingly taking whatever comes their way and were only a danger to flys and bonifide intruders into their home/pac) and I've been around Labs (generally assummed to be loveable and good with kiddies) that would go off at the drop of a hat ...any hat. While I recognize that there are dog breeds that are better suited for one thingy or another, I think that the combination of assholes using pits as guard dogs and to 'look cool' combined with the typical media hype has given Pits a reputation they don't necessarily deserve.

Ok... got my flame proof undies on, so fire away folks. :)
Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

That's just great. Perpetuate misinformation and undeserved stereotypes. Pit bulls are the bad guys. I guess that's why when my pit bull was attacked and bitten by a dachsund he jumped back and whimpered like a baby.

I believe he was being a smartass.:D

Ok... got my flame proof undies on, so fire away folks.

You must have missed a rather lively thread about pitbulls. Normiss was definitely be facetious! ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

according to some people...those are the only breed that act that way. :S

actually .. no they're not.

My friend has a really sweet Boxer that used to love me and let me play and pet him anytime, anywhere!
one night we were all in the living room and I bent a bit to pet him, while he was between my legs, and he jumped to bite me and almost knocked me out by hitting me on my chin!
he dislocated my jaw for a second and later on, I saw some blood on my neck.[:/]

few hours after this happened, he was ok...and me too...bt I've learned the lesson.
http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org
PMS#551
I love my life :)

I'm not a vet like some people ;) but I do know a thing or two about dogs. Petting and playing with them while they are encaged in a cell/cage/crate/prison isn't the greatest idea. Most dogs I know, including mine, have a very different temperament when they are cornered or isolated in a cage - no matter how big. It's a mental thing, I guess.

Anyway, glad you're ok, and I'm sure you two will still be friends outside of the cage.

Butthead: Whoa! Burritos for breakfast!
Beavis: Yeah! Yeah! Cool!
bellyflier on the dz.com hybrid record jump

His meds are just really, really strong antibiotics so they don't make him loopy. But, I'm sure him being as ill as he is doesn't help his mood any. Poor guy.

It turns out that his mom forgot to tell us that he gets very protective of his cage once he decides it's his. And since he's been with us for so long, he's decided that's his home.

I'm not mad/upset at him. He's doing what comes naturally to him - which mom should have broken when he was younger but.... I'm just glad that it wasn't worse.

As far as muzzling him goes, once he's out of his kennel, he's ok. So, I'll just coax him out with food. :D And give him lots of love once he's out of the kennel.

:P The keg of brandy was removed prior to him coming into the hospital. >:(:D

Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Seven is not the only number to come up on a roll of the dice ...but it's the smart bet.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

Seven is not the only number to come up on a roll of the dice ...but it's the smart bet.

We did have an American Staffordshire Terrier (aka Pit Bull) in hospital for the past 11 days. She must have missed the whole Pit Bull thing as she thought your lap was where she belonged and that giving kisses was a requirement. :$ Her biggest wrong - being so happy to see you that her tail was wagging so much it hurt if you got hit by it. :D

Let's not get into the whole "Pit Bulls suck" routine, again, k? :S We already know it.

We did have an American Staffordshire Terrier (aka Pit Bull) in hospital for the past 11 days. She must have missed the whole Pit Bull thing as she thought your lap was where she belonged and that giving kisses was a requirement. :$ Her biggest wrong - being so happy to see you that her tail was wagging so much it hurt if you got hit by it. :D

Let's not get into the whole "Pit Bulls suck" routine, again, k? :S We already know it.

I worked in a large ER for three years. According to their records for the previous 8 years, about 70-80% out of dog attacks were ....wait for it ...Pit Bulls. All other breeds make up the remaining 20-30%. This data is replicated in ER's around the country.

It seems what you know is being trumped by what you want to believe. :S

I would suggest you not gamble in any form of dice game. ;)
-----------------------

ALL BREEDS CAN BE GOOD AND ALL BREEDS CAN BE BAD.

I've seen good and bad Pit Bills, Labs, Chihuahuas, Poodles - and don't get me started on good and bad cats. (The only difference in the good and bad of a breed is the amount of damage that can be done.) I do not and will not look at a breed and automatically go "Oh...it's a ________ (fill in the blank) therefore it's good/bad." :S Each animal is evaulated as they come in and each animal is INDIVIDUALLY dealt with - not assumed to be automatically muzzled just because of it being a specific breed.

My point with the comment about

is that it's been discussed/argued/etc. enough. That is not the point of this thread, and let's not re-hash the same frickin' statistics/anecdotes/etc.

I guess that's a bit too much to ask, huh?

is that it's been discussed/argued/etc. enough. That is not the point of this thread, and let's not re-hash the same frickin' statistics/anecdotes/etc.

I guess that's a bit too much to ask, huh?

It is for some:|
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Jen, based on the data at the CDC, I believe you have those numbers backwards. Pitbulls only account for less than 20% of *reported* dog bites.

My bad, it's DBRF or Dog Bite Related Fatalaties.
-----------------------