karenmeal

Starting Grad School

I officially start grad school today! We've had orientations all week long and yesterday I got to find out who my clients will be. I was happy to learn that both of my clients have pretty straight forward issues to deal with. No rare diagnoses or anything like that. So that is good.

Ok.. now be honest, just how hard is grad school and how different is it than being an undergrad?

-Karen

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Hard to say because every program is different, but in general grad school isn't that drastically different - just a lot more focused. You, of course, are gonna rock. B|

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I have two Masters. My belief that the grad school is just more "focused" than my undergrad classes. The profs were usually very engaging.

In my field, the classes on research & assessment are taught by those very good in those fields, but they tend to be boring. Of course that is not the case in every university.

Congrats & God's speed in your new adventure.

steveOrino

Most of my classes weren't too bad...lots of papers and busy work, but the ones that were most challenging like A&P, Pharmacology were definite buggers. I think the thing I hated most was all of the rewrites on my thesis. I must have rewritten that thing 100 times it would seem. Every program is different so it is hard to say what challenges you will face. The only thing I wish my program would change is the amount of clinical time - which I think should actually be increased. But once you are done it is an awesome feeling of accomplishment!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I officially start grad school today! We've had orientations all week long and yesterday I got to find out who my clients will be. I was happy to learn that both of my clients have pretty straight forward issues to deal with. No rare diagnoses or anything like that. So that is good.

Ok.. now be honest, just how hard is grad school and how different is it than being an undergrad?

-Karen

Well, I started grad school 40 years ago this month. Big difference from undergrad was being invited to TGIF with the faculty. And knowing that I wouldn't have another exam for 3 years.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In my field, the classes on research & assessment are taught by those very good in those fields, but they tend to be boring. Of course that is not the case in every university.

That is the exact case for my class on behavioral research!! Totally boring (stuff I have learned many times already). I just want to hear stories about my professor's experiences in the field.

So far school is good. Lots of work, but I am enjoying it. Having 4 sessions of therapy to prepare for and debrief takes the biggest portion of my time. The classes are really no big deal right now. I don't even think grad school would be much more difficult than undergrad if it weren't for the clients.

Anyways.. time to get back to work.B|

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Great job, congratulations! I did my Bachelors, Masters, and Ph.D. while working full time and raising three kids. It is tough at first, but you will get into a groove. Once you are there, try not to let life detour your efforts. Grad school is usually more specialized toward your area of interest and far more exciting. You will love it and you will be great!

I did my Bachelors, Masters, and Ph.D. while working full time and raising three kids.

I don't even understand how that is physically possible.:S I'm at school from about 8:30-5 (or later) and then doing homework from about 5:30 to 10 with a dinner break.

Work by day, time with kids, school at night...like a machine. Like I said, you get into a groove. I am now a school principal, work weekends at the DZ, raise my three kids by myself and teach grad school where I watch others suffer the same regiment. It can be done and the wonderful reason they call a Ph.D. a terminal degree is that I don't have to go back and do it again. While I know I'm addicted to work, it helps to take care of my kid's college, cars, and other stuff. Keep a good positive attitude and you will do fine in grad school. It's a blast!

You need to put "Photo courtesy Joe Fucking Jennings" on your avatar. :D

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Then it's just naming dropping Krisanne..

tsk tsk.;)

Now really.

I've got my first therapy session in an hour and a half and am in a mad coloring frenzy at school making stimulus items! Who knew there was so much coloring involved in grad school?:P

You say name dropping like it's a bad thing! I printed out some of the photos from the LP womens' record attempts for my "I love me" wall and I thought about attaching a little plaque to the frame that says "Photos by Joe Fucking Jennings." :D