simplyputsi

Paint out of carpet home remedies anyone??

In my quest to paint my entire condo I finally managed to get paint on the carpet. Bad part is that it is white paint and the carpet is like tannish. So it stands out. Anyway.
Can I just get some warm water and carpet soap/cleaner and scrub it off, or is there some remedy that I'm unaware of. I thought about paint thinner but am pretty sure that will jack the carpet up. I could cut it out with scissors, but I'm sure it would be noticeable.
So anyone got ideas on how to get this shizzy out. If it matters it is latex based.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I bought something at Target (don't know the name of it off-hand) that took black paint out of a tan colored carpet and it only cost about $5.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

google doesn't tell you what really works, people, real live ones do. Irish Bastard:o:D:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
oh that there is funny.

If you've allowed a latex paint stain to dry, contact a professional carpet cleaning service to see if it can remove the stain. You may have to live with it.

This is what your google article says. I don't believe that shit.

Skymama, I expected more from you;)
Skymama's #2 stalker -

Skymama, I expected more from you

What more do you want?

really?? How about you in one of those outfits I posted back some time ago, on your hands and knees scrubbing my carpet.

ha. Well you asked;):P

I'll check target. I'll look in the cleaning aisles for something that cost about $5. I might try the warm water and dish soap thing though on one of the spots first.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

ha. Well you asked

At least you know the answer to your request. :P

It's not in the regular cleaning aisle. It was in the hardware area, where they have the heavy duty cleaners. If you wait till I get home, I'll give you the exact name of it. I've also found out that it works really well on cat puke stains. :S
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Exacto knife and coffee can or similar, core and replace with contact cement on the pad and nap.

Problem is I don't have carpet to use for replacment. So cutting is not an option.

I can wait till you get home mama, I won't be tackling the problem till this weekend. maybe I should just wait till I'm done painting, as I'm sure to spill more on the carpet. Maybe I'll actually use a drop cloth this time.

Spence, really man quit trying to use other peoples ideas as your own:P

Skymama's #2 stalker -

Problem is I don't have carpet to use for replacment. So cutting is not an option.

Actually "they" suggest cutting a matching piece from an unobtrusive spot, like a closet, and switching the pieces. That way, it won't be noticed. But, it's much easier to try and clean it first!

Your only sure bet is rearranging the furniture or buying a rug. I can't think of anything that will remove the paint but leave the carpet undamaged.

Blood usually works - but only in large quantities - give it a try.:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Your only sure bet is rearranging the furniture or buying a rug. I can't think of anything that will remove the paint but leave the carpet undamaged.

ok debbie downer geesh!!! :P:P

actually I am pretty sure I could at least dilute it enough that it would somewhat blend in with the carpet. Might just make that part of the carpet look really clean.

Mass quantities have not been spilled we are talking drops here and there, but enough to be an annoyance, specially if I am trying to sell the place.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

If you can't get the stain out, grab a mason jar lid and an x-acto knife. Cut a portion of the carpet from another spot in the room where some piece of furniture is pretty much in its permanent spot using the lid as a pattern. Be sure to cut around the threads (whatever they're called) to prevent ripping. Remove the circle of paint free carpet. Cut the paint stained carpet out using the same lid and insert the stain-free carpet. Orient to best match and glue that piece down.

Let me know if it works. I've never tried this or really ever heard of it. I'm just curious as to whether or not this will work. :ph34r:

FallRate

Ok, the stuff is called "Krud Kutter". Klever marketing, huh? :P Right on the front it says, "removes dried latex paint". It worked for me with no damage to the carpet, I swear.

I've told this story before, but here goes.
My son did a big mural on his bedroom wall 8 x 14
a tribute to Disney. It has Dumbo the Elephant, the Seven Dwarves, The Evil Queen, the Sorcerers Apprentice, and Tinker Bell.
All primary colors.
His buddies helped him paint it in the middle of the night. So did our dog Sidney. Sid had to go out, so one of the buddies went down the long hall, down the stairs, thru the living room, thru the dining room, and thru the kitichen to open the door. When the buddy turned around he saw BIG BRIGHT BLOOD RED paint foot prints that went thru ALL of the rooms on my brand new (light grey) carpet and wood floors.
My son woke me up, sure that I was going to kill him, but needing immediate help to clean up the paint. Unfortunately, it was ENAMEL. What we found was this.
Keeping it moist was key, as long as it stayed moist, I had time to work with the individual fibers to remove the paint.
I used anything that said "petroleum distolate" in the contents.
Mineral oil, denatured alcolhol, paint thinner. I had all of the buddies keep the fibers moist, then I worked from spot to spot, cleaning individual threads, til we had cleaned up every last FRICKING FOOTPRINT. It took all night.
Luckily, I owned a violin/music shop at the time, so I had plenty of stuff available at the shop.
These kids were about 13 or 14 at the time. They all just turned 30, and this year they told me which buddy it was that did the tracking. I told him thanks for taking the dog out.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Another to try is "Goof-off." It removes dried latex paint and doesn't seem to hurt textiles. It has a very strong chemical solvent smell to it, so close the doors and windows and lean in real close when you're using it to get the maximum effect.;)

For latex paint that hasn't dried, soak the carpet with water, then suck up water with a carpet steamer or wet/dry shop vac. I've gotten entire quarts of paint out of light colored carpeting that way, no traces left. :)