bloody_trauma

cutaway knife?

Doesn't the Icon container have one attached? I use one at work, (traffic cop), but I think it's too small for high speed, high stress situations. Too difficult to maneuver in that circumstance.
I live with fear and terror, but sometimes I leave her and go skydiving.

One of the rigs comes with it. Probably Icon as above.

But they are small. This one, http://www.benchmade.com/products/product_detail.aspx?model=6
probably a better choice. I have one but I don't believe the plastic sheath is secure enough. Haven't made a custom one yet.

Don't really think either type is better than some of the skydiving specific ones. Really don't need the oxygen tank wrench.;) But the bottle opener is handy!B|
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

with all this talk about hook knives at the moment. what does everyone think is the best hook knife on the market? i understand that the small plastic one is crap and people say that the long jack the ripper one is good (i think that's the name) otherwise im a bit clueless as to which is the clear winner.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

For the aftermarket ones, the Jack the Ripper knife seems to be the clear winner from the remarks I've seen.

It's definitely worth spending the money to get a decent hook knife...the orange plastic ones that come with most rigs are crap.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

with all this talk about hook knives at the moment. what does everyone think is the best hook knife on the market? i understand that the small plastic one is crap and people say that the long jack the ripper one is good (i think that's the name) otherwise im a bit clueless as to which is the clear winner.

As a CRW dog with plenty of knives, a captian hook is good a mini ripper or full size jack the ripper is good. The one that comes with the Icon is pretty good. Stay away from the crappy little bright orange plastic ones. Ilook for cross blades and metal or very durable stiff plastic handles. reach is only a mtter of concern to why you hav them in the first place. I have small medium and large on my CRW rig. The small and medium because a long reach knife may get in the way. long reach for obvious reasons.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

For the aftermarket ones, the Jack the Ripper knife seems to be the clear winner from the remarks I've seen.

I like the long, easy to grab handle of the Jack the Ripper, but I ran into trouble figuring out where I could put a Jack the Ripper. I could sew it to my RW jump suit, but my grips are right where I'd have easiest access to a hook knife. Also, I don't wear my RW jump suit on every jump.

I ended up having our DZ rigger fix up the pocket on my leg strap to accomodate a short hook knife (the Jack the Ripper is too long to go into my leg strap pocket). I liked that solution, but I recently lost that hook knife on a hard opening. [:/]

I like the way the Icon container has the hook knife on the shoulder harness. It seems really easy to get to. I like my Wings, but the one thing I covet about Icon containers is their spiffy hook knife. :)

I like the long, easy to grab handle of the Jack the Ripper, but I ran into trouble figuring out where I could put a Jack the Ripper. I could sew it to my RW jump suit, but my grips are right where I'd have easiest access to a hook knife. Also, I don't wear my RW jump suit on every jump.

I ended up having our DZ rigger fix up the pocket on my leg strap to accomodate a short hook knife (the Jack the Ripper is too long to go into my leg strap pocket). I liked that solution, but I recently lost that hook knife on a hard opening. [:/]

I like the way the Icon container has the hook knife on the shoulder harness. It seems really easy to get to. I like my Wings, but the one thing I covet about Icon containers is their spiffy hook knife. :)

While not a CRW dog, and not sure what your requirements might be, but I made a pocket for my Jack that sits across my chest strap and under my chest-mount alt. Works for me.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Ditto on the chest strap for a Jack Knife. My pouch is sewn to the back of my chest altimeter mount with the handle down. Helps keep the mount in position and is on my sternum. A part that doesn't bend.;) Accessabile with either hand. It's been there for 20+ years. Dogs will want one or two low also.:P
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've slice-n-diced some lines with the small orange plastic crap. It was cutting lines quite well.

Until the blade fell out / handle broke.... :P

I'm not saying they can't do the job..but that they're shitty quality knives in general...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I carried a Navy "hook" knife from an ejection seat survival kit. Each jumpsuit had a pocket on the front near the center chest just below the chest strap. Easy to see and can be reached by both hands.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I've slice-n-diced some lines with the small orange plastic crap. It was cutting lines quite well.

Until the blade fell out / handle broke.... :P

I'm not saying they can't do the job..but that they're shitty quality knives in general...

Agreed, that is why you won't see CRW dogs using them. I have also seen those knives after someone tried to cut dacron lines (which is what is on a lightning). The plastic handle was cut almost in half at the blade by the line. The knife was trash after one use.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

Agreed, that is why you won't see CRW dogs using them. I have also seen those knives after someone tried to cut dacron lines (which is what is on a lightning). The plastic handle was cut almost in half at the blade by the line. The knife was trash after one use.

Son, anyone can try those knives on old dacron or microline. Feel free to get another if you are not satisfied.

Son, anyone can try those knives on old dacron or microline. Feel free to get another if you are not satisfied.

No thanks, I'll get a decently made one, instead....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706