marinho

Riggers! Is this possible??

Hi there,
Short story! It happened 2 months ago...
A customer brought his rig for a reserve repack. Ok, done!
After 2 months he showed up again and gave his same rig for a reserve repack! Ok, nothing wrong yet!!
I asked why he'd like me to repack it again only after 2 months and he said he washed the rig!!!!
The rig was closed, like I did, but with no seal! He said he dissasembled it, washed the rig, reassembled it and closed the reserve container. He's not a parachute rigger and the assembly and closing sequence was out of this world!!!

My 2 cents:
He could jump with his rig, with my signature on it!
Your thoughts please!!!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

Train the guy to get his ticket!

Yes he could have jumped it if the same DZ does not check BETWEEN pack jobs (they always never do).

Did he repack the reserve too or just open the container leaving the reserve in the pack?

If he did re-pack it, how was the job?
Memento Audere Semper

Train the guy to get his ticket!

Yes he could have jumped it if the same DZ does not check BETWEEN pack jobs (they always never do).

Did he repack the reserve too or just open the container leaving the reserve in the pack?

If he did re-pack it, how was the job?

What's up Nick???
Train him?? You're kidding right?!!!
Well, he did not repack it, just reconnect the links and brake lines!
That's right, if you already signed the waiver and checked in on any DZ, they will not check it until next repack!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

WOW, this makes me not want to pack a rig again with my name on it. Someone could repack their own rig or close it up without a seal and jump it. Then they have a mal burn in under a reserve mal and nobody would ever know you did not pack it. I know this is a little far fetched but I could really see a few jumpers that would do something that dumb and leave a rigger with alot of problems.

well look on the bright side at least he was honest enough to actually bring it back and get it done properly, got to give him credit for that :)

I agree! I think, visiting with the guy and filling him in on some of the 'ins and outs' of his actions. A little education, can go a long way.

Chuck

A little education, can go a long way.

But there is very little that can be done to overcome the inventive ways stupid people can fuck things up.[:/]

You raise a good point there, Sparky! We can only try... then, call them dumb-asses!:D

Chuck

That is an interesting one. I would be curious where he got his knowledge :S

I would open it up and look at the pack job and see how it looks. Is this guy a BASE jumper by chance? Most BASE jumpers pack their BASE rigs very similarly to the way I pack reserves. With just a little added knowledge and/or a manual, they could probably figure it out ...

I would probably want to stay on the safe side though and open it up and inspect it anyway. Besides I would be super curious to see what the pack job looked like.

If it looked good, I would be like Dude... here's some published info. Study this and go get your rigger's ticket. If he can do all that and do it right, why should he pay someone else to? Would you pay someone else to pack your reserve?
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

LOL. OOPS! I just read the other posts and it looks like the reserve pack job would NOT, I REPEAT NOT have passed the HANES inspection.

In that case ... it's a good thing he brought it to you :o

LOL!:P

You're right, he asked for a repack! He got some points there!
This person has 3 more people on his family that are skydivers! What about if one of them, without knowing that, grabs the rig and go skydive???
Just speculating here!!!!
Cheers,
Gus Marinho

***He could jump with his rig, with my signature on it!
Your thoughts please!!!

What does your signature on the packing data card mean?

Parachute riggers are maintenance technicians much the same as A & P mechanics and IA’s. When an IA signs off an annual inspection on an aircraft, he is attesting to the fact that the aircraft meets the requirements set out by the manufactures to pass the annual inspection on that date. The FAA puts the responsibility of insuring the aircraft is airworthy on the pilot-in-command.

When I sign and seal a reserve, I am attesting to the fact that that assembly is correctly assembled and packed and is airworthy as of that date. The rig owner may put it into the drink off of Marathon Key the next day and take a day or two to drag it out. My signature and seal are still on it, but that does not mean it is airworthy. If my seal is still intact it still means it is correctly packed, but it does not mean that it is airworthy.

Parachute assemblies much like other aircraft require continuing maintenance, and that responsibility is on the owner/user.

Dennis Anderson
D-2759
Senior rigger

Never become a passenger, always be the pilot. Fly that sucker as far into the crash as possible. (Chuck Yeager)