kirrz

Car Problem- Please help!!!!!!!

I just did something really stupid.. I accidentally drove a bit over 5kms (3 miles) with my handbrake on... I didn't realize until I parked the car and got out and smelt a burning smell.. I looked under the car and saw something liquid dripping slowly... just a tiny, slow drip..

I left the car for about 15 minutes and went back down. I did a bit of google research and read that I probably fucked up my brake pads badly and it said to check the tyres. The tyres are fine (they're new) and the burning smell.. although still there, has subsided... The dripping also stopped leaving a small pool of something. So I drove the car out so that I could see what the liquid was... it's water.

What happened? What do I do now? Is it ok? Did I screw up something badly? I was going to ring a mechanic but I'm afraid they're going to make me go in and pay 100s of bucks to replace something that is fine.. Do I need to check something out?

I'm so stupid!!!!!!!! Please help me!! I don't know anything about cars... just bought it 3 days ago!!

Edit to add: It's a 1.5L Mazda2 2002 Automatic if that makes a difference!

the hand break only works on the rear wheels. If your cars has rear drum breaks you probally only overheated them and no real big deal. you might pull off the wheel and drum and have some one look at the pads, but 3 miles.. Did the car stop ok when you finally figured it out. Your frount brakes do most of the stopping...

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

the front brakes are disc and the rear brakes are drum. the car was totally fine and worked normally... i just noticed going up a bridge that it wasn't really being very powerful when accelerating but i'm used to driving a 5L car so i assumed it was because of the engine size...

so it's ok that there was a bit of water dripping?

the front brakes are disc and the rear brakes are drum. the car was totally fine and worked normally... i just noticed going up a bridge that it wasn't really being very powerful when accelerating but i'm used to driving a 5L car so i assumed it was because of the engine size...

so it's ok that there was a bit of water dripping?

The water is probably from your AC, did you use it in that 3 miles? You should get that every time you run the AC. You probably just shortened the life of the rear brakes and stunk up the car. LOL If nothing feels different in the near future I wouldnt worry about it. Listen for any noises from the rear such as squeaking or a metal to metal sound indicating the pads are worn out, I doubt it though. Next time you rotate your tires have them do a brake inspection, most places do it for free.
Oil change every 3,000 miles, rotate tires every other oil change 6,000 miles.
Drive safe! Skydive hard!

J

to quote a famous stoner comedian:D

" I drove today for about 5 miles with my emergency brake on...... doesn't say much for my dumbass.........doesn,t say much for the emergency brake either..... instead of emergency brake, they oughta call it a make your car smell fucked up lever. "

adjustment or replacement of your rear brakes, at the very least a visual inspection by a qulified person, and one of those pine tree shaped air freshners and you should be good.

excessive heat to your rear drum brakes from riding it while manually activated could cause components of the hydraulic system that are located there to leak(brake fluid). and could result in total failure of your hydrauilics(brake pedal) also wouldnt be a bad idea to check your transmission fluid and replace it and the filter if necessary riding the rear brakes puts a serious strain on a vehicle not designed for such loads.

......but thats just me I'm kinda anal about my vehicles

if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

Thank you everyone!! You guys are awesome!! I've never owned a car before so I was absolutely freaking out.

Totally correct on the A/C.. had it running the whole time. Car is due for regular service at the end of the month so will have them check out the brakes as well!

Thanks so much once again guys!! You are awesome!!