VTflyer

VT skydiving rigging loft burned / fire insurance questions?

Last night, the rigging loft at Vermont Skydiving Adventures burned from an unknown cause. Except for a few tandem rigs and AFF rigs, everything is gone, including the gear of the employees and several regular jumpers. Needless to say, everyone is devestated. I lost all of my gear myself.

Here is the insurance issue. The dropzone's insurance doesn't cover the gear that was owned by jumpers like myself. It was suggested though that our homeowners would cover it. Does anyone know how insurance might cover property damaged in a fire, but not in the home (it was stored in a secure rigging loft)? I know I'm covered for damage after $1000 in my home, but I don't know about this situation. There are several people in the same position.

While I am not officially speaking on behalf of the dropzone management, I myself can say that any help or donations of old gear (altis, suits, anything), would be very greatly appreciated.

My homeowner's insurance would cover it, but I had my rig specifically written into the policy. They may cover it just as a misc. loss... I guess you could try submitting a claim and see what happens.

Me too. I worry about something happening to ,y rigs and camera gear. I leave the rigs at the DZ. the camera gear Comes with me but I've been getting more and more nervous leaving my stuff at the DZ I may end up bringing at least one rig home with me.
My photos

My Videos

Yes, but is it covered if it was damaged in a fire elsewhere?

I have my rigs and other valuable items covered under "out and about" cover. My insurance would pay out if the gear burned (or was stolen) at the DZ.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Chris,

As has been pointed out, it will depend on the policy, but a lot of policies do cover loss, unless the loss was created as a result of the homeowner's negligence. So, for example, if it was unreasonable to store your rig at the dz, the insurance company may try to weasel out of it. But since a lot of people did this, my guess is that it would be a hard argument for an insurance company to make.

I have an old jumpsuit I can donate. PM me with where I should send it.

- Jeff

Yes, but is it covered if it was damaged in a fire elsewhere?

_Most_ insurance will cover your property if it is momentarely out of your possession (say, in a rental car that gets stolen, etc...). Rigs are high value items, and you may have had to declare it individually, and of course, some insurance plan may not cover it, but you should be OK if you have some sort of content insurance.
Remster

I just went to a new insurance agent today to get a different home owners policy than what I had (long story why) and my old policy covered my rig. The new agent told me that as long as I didn't use it for work it would be covered. If you use it for work you would have to have it insured as business property. The new policy I have is Travelers Insurance. I wish you luck with this. And it does cover it away from home. I keep mine at the dz all the time too and specifically wanted a policy for this reason.

Because my gear is the only thing(s) of any value that I own, I made sure my renter's policy covered replacement in the event of any damage or loss. It would've been covered no matter what, but I had a rider drawn up which specifies the dollar value to be reimbursed. As others have said, I think most policies have something similar.

In any event, I am heartbroken to hear about VSA's loss. I am from VT; I learned to jump at VSA. It is - IMHO - the most beautiful dropzone imaginable (even with the mini donkey farm in the foreground...). No matter where I am, it will always be my home dz. I'm putting a check in the mail today. It's not a lot in the face of the amount lost, but every little bit counts...

Best wishes and blue skies to Ole, Terry, and the whole gang.

- Jess (aka J2)
May the (relative) wind take your troubles away...

Thank you all for your help and generosity. Luckily, I have been able to make a claim with my homeowners insurance not only for the cost of the gear lost, but also for some of whatever more it will cost me to replace. Hopefully, the others will be as fortunate.

So glad to hear that you're covered. Whew!

Call me untrusting but I never left my gear at the DZ. The pain in the ass of dragging it home at the end of the day was far less than having to replace it and the peace of mind made it all worth it.

Now that I live on a DZ, I worry a lot more about loss than I used to.
[:/]

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

not to bag on anyone, but what is so hard about taking your gear home? i have one bag for my cameras, and another for my rig...just flopp them in the back of the jeep and go...no problems, no worries. good to hear your rig was convered though. now if you have 3 or 4 rigs...thats another story.

Here is the insurance issue. The dropzone's insurance doesn't cover the gear that was owned by jumpers like myself.

Just a thought, but what if the private gear that was lost was in the loft for work, like inspections, repairs, repacks, ect? I would think that would transfer the liability to the loft, and thus their insurance? you could try this route for those that may not have renters/homeowners insurance...
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Here is the insurance issue. The dropzone's insurance doesn't cover the gear that was owned by jumpers like myself.

Just a thought, but what if the private gear that was lost was in the loft for work, like inspections, repairs, repacks, ect? I would think that would transfer the liability to the loft, and thus their insurance? you could try this route for those that may not have renters/homeowners insurance...

It's not a single question, but separate ones. Liability of a party, and liability of a party's insurance company, are 2 separate issues.

Under the theory of "bailment", if the party who is in control of the loft is the same as the party to whom you entrusted the rig for safekeeping, then the loft potentially could be held liable for the loss if the loft failed to take all reasonable actions to protect the rig while under its safekeeping.

Whether the loft's insurance company must pay for a customer's destroyed rig is governed solely by the language of the loft's insurance policy.

not to bag on anyone, but what is so hard about taking your gear home? i have one bag for my cameras, and another for my rig...just flopp them in the back of the jeep and go...no problems, no worries. good to hear your rig was convered though. now if you have 3 or 4 rigs...thats another story.

It's not like they can take all their editing equipment home and juice and Ole are so used to leaving their camera gear there. Accidents happen and it's too bad we lost a lot of gear and video equipment. It's not HARD to take the gear home. Just sometimes doesn't seem necessary. It's a great place to be and none of us would have expected this to happen. but it did. and it sucks.

I am an Insurance agent. Each state can have different polices. But read you policy. If you are a sprot jumper and keep you gear at the DZ, your Home / Renters insurance would probaly cover the loss. But if this is how you make your living, ie live at the DZ and most of your income is video ing tamdems, I am sure there is no coverage, you would need a commerical policy. But if you are in the grey space: you have a day job but do some skyding for $, you might be covered if it is just a hobby... The Insurance co could ask for your tax records if they wanted to.

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

I think everyone shoveled and did all they could to clean up the place the day after it happened. Orange brought up 7 rigs for us to use and have been AWESOME at helping us through lending video equipment as well. The skydiving community is awesome... so great to have such nice people who understand the need and love of the sport. :)