TheGirlWonder

Teaching children not to skydive...

by Rabbi Goldson

http://www.aish.com/family/mensch/Son3_Skydiving_is_Dangerous.asp

I read it.. It sounded like he has been drinking the holy water again. It was mindless drivel from a high school teacher.

I sent a strongly worded letter to them which basically said

"just because you were so brave to take a tandem jump once, does not qualify you to make broad, sweeping assumptions about the sport of skydiving being a sport for the intellectually lazy, or about the dangers involved, or the safety procedures involved with skydiving.

Things you said in your article point out quite clearly that you have no idea what you are talking about, so why don't you go pick on snowboarders?

Skydiving is dangerous, as are many activities in life, such as rolling out of bed too fast, driving a car, brushing your teeth with other people toothbrushes, going inside the ear canal with a q-tip and taking advice from fools that portray themselves as experts just because they like the sound of their own voices."

I had considered doing the same thing, but then I though to myself, "Hey, this guy is a Rabbi and set in his ways. Nothing I write to him is going to change his mind and will only reinforce the stereotype of skydivers being unstable."

Then, I didn't write him.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

let him try and convince people to shelter their kids. the cool and adventurous ones will take the plunge anyways. if everyone did it, it wouldnt be as fun. not everyone can be cool

My kid (EllieBOO)should be in on this one!! She waited 10 years to make Her first jump this past sept 9th... She is FULLY aware that if she crossed the street at the wrong time that she could be HURT! She is also fully AWARE that if She took an commercial airliner from (lets say) JFK to London that She might not make it across.... Hell.... and or back!!! HOWEVER, Her 18th birthday present could not have ever come sooner than it did, when She made Her FIRST jump a mere few weeks ago..., a few stability bugs to be ironed out still, but She is a percerVIERer... Just like John Glen, The Wright Brothers, The Christa McCullufs of the world, etc etc.... I wonder how often this Rabbi flies across the globe??? What if something (God forbid) happens on His pilgramage to the WALL in Israel....... HUH???

Ellie is on MY right and my BABY girl (MollyBoo) is on MY left!!!

OBTW... I will admit that I have NOT read this Rabbis article!!! I don't NEED to, because I already know almost a WHOLE country of closed minded sheep.....

what an idiot! It is because of skydiving that I can look at the big picture of life and not sweat the small stuff. I love what birdshit wrote. I wish I could be so quick to think of things like that to say.

YOU did dude right here (its what I say ALL the time... ""...the big picture of life and not sweat the small stuff. ""

YOU are RIGHT ON with that thought process my friend!!! "Don't sweat the SMALL stuff"... : DD

Without psychological effort we would never learn the practical skills to succeed professionally

Usually those guys who "succeed professionally" are suck-up ass-holes that push the others down while they climb to their professional success! Society traps!

Bullshit is the glue that ties together the society!!
Lock, Dock and Two Smoking Barrelrolls!

those are the words of a close minded fool, that is just waiting to die.

his spirit bound by the fear in his heart and mind, not mature enough to understand that there is something else there, besides an "adrenaline rush". something that inspires and frees the human spirit in all of us.

I enjoy the beautiful sky, I enjoy the beautiful ocean, and I enjoy mother earth together with alot of awesome people that I love and are truly alive inside. people who are there for more than the adrenaline rush, people who will summit a rock, go high in the sky, go deep in the ocean, go faster and go farther just because they can. just because being there with others that feel the same way is so fucking special.

there is something else out there, that this guy and alot of close minded people are blind to.

free the mind and the spirit. and encourage others to do the same, show them the way.

if he's scared, he should say he's scared and leave it at that.

mentality like that would have us all still in the stone ages hiding in caves praying for something devine to save us and lead the way. sorry weak ass shit!!!!!

BTW, danny awesome picture, you have two beautiful girls there bud.
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

What the heck was all that jiberish about? I caught something about skydiving (put my beer down in interest) and then Mozart (picked beer back up) and then something about wine (reminds me I have a half drank Bottle in kitchen). What's his point? Live boring only to arrive at death in one piece. I'd prefer to skid into death all used up saying wow what a ride.

CSA #699 Muff #3804

what an idiot! It is because of skydiving that I can look at the big picture of life and not sweat the small stuff. I love what birdshit wrote. I wish I could be so quick to think of things like that to say.

Exactly, skydiving has changed my life so much FOR THE BETTER! Close minded people suck....

That entire article was about how he didnt want to spend extra money on life insurance.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

"no shit, there i was, trying to save some money, and no shit, i'm not lying, i couldnt do it because i've skydived!!!"

dont people say that jews turn every penny twice!? :)
to feed the stereotypes i say, well, telling by this article, there must be something to it..

Exactly, skydiving has changed my life so much FOR THE BETTER! Close minded people suck....

+1

probably he was one of those tandem students that spew up already on the way to altitude, then in the door, in freefall, under canopy and finally, back on the ground..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Has anyone else every seen that question "Have you ever skydived?" on a life insurance form? Although I am getting to middle age, I have no need for more life insurance than my work provides.

What would the purpose of a such a question be? Is it, as the Rabbi surmised, really asking "Are you an above-average risk taker who has a higher likelyhood of dieing in some risky activity, being it skydiving or motorcycle riding or climbing a 20 ft ladder to repaint your roof trim?"

And what would the change in premiums be for checking yes on such a box?

It is a shame that someone who did a jump now thinks of it as a "cheap thrill" that detracts from an appreciation of the subtle and hard won pleasures of life. This guy sounds like a real killjoy. No amusement parks or bicycle rides for his family, its "appreciating the beauty of watching paint dry, the paint you applied". Sheesh. Someone needs to find a Talmud equivalent quote to "Live a little".

Btw, it sounds like the good Rabbi did a Static Line jump, not a tandem.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

:oI'm not too surprised about the responses here :|... we are a bunch of skydivers afterall, so it would be hard to find anyone agreeing with him ...... He's most likely not a fool or an idiot, the article stated his personal feelings and he's perfectly entitled to them. He's not going to put any of us off or affect our lives in anyway.
Some people need to take a few deep breaths and open a couple of cans :D.

P.S our sport is dangerous:o

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome