huckfinn

french links

can someone settle this for once and for all

Uh, no.;)

The strength is the same in either orientation.

I'm partial to barrels to the inside, on the theory that it's nicer to the slider grommets. But PISA used to ship Tempos with the barrels to the outside.

In most cases, I prefer the long side to the risers and short side to the lines, so the barrel interferes less with the orientation. Except on some tandems, where the size and number of lines make a bigger wad than the riser end. And at least one poster here likes the short side to the riser side, thinking that the g-forces of opening are more likely to tighten the barrels that way. (I don't know if that applies to reserve links, though, which experience many more opening shocks in the upside down -- packed -- position than they do in the upright -- reserve deployment -- position.)

As long as we're on theological arguments, should Slinks be wrapped clockwise or counter-clockwise, and does it change based on left-right or front-back?

Mark

IMHO, the longer leg of the link goes on the riser. Never put it this way but I guess that's screwing up toward the canopy to tighten. This gives the riser webbing more room, more important with type 8 risers. The barrels should be to the inside on both sides to minimize slider damage.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I was taught:
* long-side to the riser
* barrel to the inside

The reasoning had to do with getting the least-bad failure mode in case the barrel should somehow work itself open:
* it's better to lose a line than the whole riser
* it's better to lose an inside line than an outside line

So by this theory the "port" on the link should be on the inside, nearer the lines than the riser.

Just what I was taught. I'm not saying that's "right". I intend my french links to never come open in the air.

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

should Slinks be wrapped clockwise or counter-clockwise,

Wouldn't that depend on which side of the equator you are on?:)

What about people jumping over the equator, maybe one way for the left risers and the other for the right, of course if the did a 180 turn in free fall..... Wow this is complicated:D:D:D

Nullius in Verba

IMHO, the longer leg of the link goes on the riser. Never put it this way but I guess that's screwing up toward the canopy to tighten. This gives the riser webbing more room, more important with type 8 risers.

CMan,

This too is what I was taught... "short side towards the canopy, long side on the risers."

On the reserve, I was told that its not necessary, but its a nice touch to alternate the barrels, one in-board, one outboard, side-side, on the front and rear risers, while maintaining the short side of the line towards the canopy. The theory being not to have the barrels laying on top of each other in the reserve pack tray if the reserve risers / links should wind up perfectly on top of each other.

On the reserve, I was told that its not necessary, but its a nice touch to alternate the barrels, one in-board, one outboard, side-side, on the front and rear risers, while maintaining the short side of the line towards the canopy. The theory being not to have the barrels laying on top of each other in the reserve pack tray if the reserve risers / links should wind up perfectly on top of each other.

That is the way I do it and top them off with a set of slider bumpers.:)
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Yeah, I've seem that. But I usually DON"T put plastic slider bumpers on reserves. I unpacked a friend rig and after floor deployment on bumper was about 3 feet up the lines. One friend's only modern cutaway was at his wedding when a bumper went up his main lines. Yeah, yeah I know tie them down. I was a Nazi about it for mains at the DZ. Still am. But for reserves why take the risk. Let the slider get nicked to eliminate one potential probem.

I've kind of changed my mind. Sometime I put them on reserves. Like the cloth type better. But on a lot of rigs I still don't.

And on reserves I usually spread the riserd enough that the links aren't on top of each other so your not stacking the barrels anyway.

With soft type links you don't need to worry, except it took me a long time to accept them. The idea of fabric on fabric that moves is a big no-no in climbing. It took 10 years of main soft links on one active customer to convince me they just didn't move enough to cause problems. But I believe the slider stops are needed. Just recently we had an experienced jumper have a hard opening and have his slider come down over his small stainless links and lock up a toggle, on type eight risers. Don't want to see this on a reserve.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

I've kind of changed my mind. Sometime I put them on reserves. Like the cloth type better. But on a lot of rigs I still don't.

I make my own bumpers out of 1 1/2" Type IV and tack them in place.

Bit o'triva...

Q: Why do they call them "french links"??

Had someone ask me that at the DZ last weekend.

A: Because a lot of them are made in France! :P

... they didn't believe me until I found a set... and a magnifying glass... that were engraved as such.

:D

I believe Wichard used to make them and probably still does. Wichard used to make swords many years ago but now make a variety of maratime S/S hardware, but these days many imitators make them.

Mick.

Bit o'triva...

Q: Why do they call them "french links"??

Had someone ask me that at the DZ last weekend.

A: Because a lot of them are made in France! :P

... they didn't believe me until I found a set... and a magnifying glass... that were engraved as such.

:D

The originals were "Rapide links" made by a French company named Mallion.:)

Isn't maillon just the french word for link?

More trivia: they are a french invention and are made near Geneva, I think the company is called Preguet.

Edited...
Geezzz Sparky, didn't get it at first... lol :P

No, the french word for link is lien.

I was going by PPM said.:P

No, the french word for link is lien.

"Lien" is a link in the sense of a bond, a connection, or now also a web link.

But "maillon" is the French word for a link of a chain.

[outrageous french accent]
"Maillon rapide", eet eez simplee de link dat eez quickky, non?
[/outrageous french accent]