arai

selling/buying rigs online

I'm interested in hearing stories/advice of buying rigs online.

I'm at 25 jumps now and have been jumping a hornet 190, and when talking to my local instructers and riggers when I mentioned buying a 170 (something like a sabre or pilot etc) they thought that would be fine. The trick is finding gear that not only is the right canopy size but fits me, I'm 6'3". Our dz requires cypress or eqiv for A licence holders, and next year they will be manditory for all jumpers so I know I need that as well

I would love to find something local so I could jump it and see how it feels, but I know that when your looking for something specific its easier to find it on a place like this with the amount of people that post ads.

I'm curious as to how you sellers deal with the obvious problem of someone wanting to see the condition of the gear before purchasing?

Is it possible (or rather likely) that a seller would ship to a dropzone to have it checked out by their rigger (almost acting like an escrow) to protect both parties?

I'm really interested in getting some gear, and have seen a few ads that might fit my requirements, but wonder how to protect myself, both in terms of what the rig should be worth and the condition its in (especially being new to the sport) but I recognise that the seller doesnt want to get ripped off as well.

So I thought I'd see how people who have bought rigs in here before have dealt with it. I'm hoping me being in Canada doesnt complicate it too much

sorry for the questions but it could be worse right? I could be asking if I should buy a stiletto 120 because I found a really good deal and not to worry cause I can just take it easy for the first 50 jumps :P
thanks

-arai-

I've bought and sold several rigs online and have never had any significant issues. I've used various methods to protect both parties. If I have a potential buyer that is not comfortable sending money up front, I'll ship to a reputable DZ so he/she can inspect the gear. While I'm making arrangements with the DZ I also check on the individual to ensure that he/she is trustworthy. I've never had a problem with that. Some buyers have contacted my DZ to see if I'm reputable and I actually very much encourage that because I know what the result will be. I also encourage skeptical buyers to contact others I have sold gear to. I've never ripped anybody off and never been ripped off, but I do a little research and encourage buyers to do the same.

These days you can't be too careful, but you can still conduct business and be comfortable with it.
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Is it possible (or rather likely) that a seller would ship to a dropzone to have it checked out by their rigger (almost acting like an escrow) to protect both parties?

Yup, that's the normal way it's done.

...it could be worse right? I could be asking if I should buy a stiletto 120 because I found a really good deal and not to worry cause I can just take it easy for the first 50 jumps :P

Smartarse :P.