Blue Angels low pass w/condensation

WAY COOL!!! I wonder what kind of concussion the nearby boats and peeps recd?? I heard ordinary people (for a price) could go for rides in Flordia??? I wonder if this sorta ride is possible...

I've done a back seat ride in an F16... and I'm ordinary!!

I've been catapulted off the Carl Vinson and the Eisenhower, and I'm ordinary too.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Anybody else go through a bag of popcorn over this one or was it just me?

I was wondering what everyone else was doing/thinking...

Well... I am a pilot, and I have broken the sound barrier many many times. Please see the attached photo, which WAS NOT PHOTOSHOPED explaining what you two inferior minded people are trying to discuss. Water vapor can accumulate at that low altitude, near the speed of sound. Any questions, I'd be happy to answer....

WAY COOL!!! I wonder what kind of concussion the nearby boats and peeps recd??

The boats and people aren't as close as they appear (after the Blue Angels crash, the FAA got even more strict about this) that's just a side effect of shooting the photo with a long telephoto lens. As the distance to the camera increase differences in the distance between objects have less effect on the field of vision they subtend so you get a depth compression effect where everything in the picture looks like its close together.

Skydiving shot from high up with a gyroscopically stabilized mount makes it look like people are going in.

I heard ordinary people (for a price) could go for rides in Flordia??? I wonder if this sorta ride is possible...

The government has claimed the F18 costs $4500/hour to operate. Even if possible you'd be better off sharing costs on one of the Communist-block single engined trainers like a TS-11 or L39. I've heard $800/hour in total costs for an L39 (you are burning 130 gallons of Jet-A in that time at $4 per) although they're classified as experimental and can't be flown for hire in the states.

Wow this picture has been retouched more times than the kid on the WTC twin towers. :S

I found a site with the original picture which has been veririfed as authentic.

This is the first picture captured of a new high speed aircraft that defies all traditional notions from aerodynamics, to propulsion, to seating, to flying. It is capable of carrying two people, but as shown in the picture, can be flown by remote control or completed automate using a revolutionary new GPS system.

Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Here's what the author of the blog said:

"Hi James!

The photo comes from the UK article linked to in the post. My understanding is that they really did the low-water fly-by, and that the pic is real (albeit a long lens might have exaggerated the appearance). But of course, it is the Internet, so anything is possible! ;) At least I know the other four are real!

Ken Denmead
Editor, Geekdad.com"

The Daily Mail is the source of the original article, and FWIW it looks like a really high-end newspaper:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=488504&in_page_id=1773&ico=Homepage&icl=TabModule&icc=picbox&ct=5

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I think this is pretty conclusive:

http://jumpcut.com/view?id=C009AF72755211DC9F89000423CF037A&u_id=&them=1

Someone more geeky than me can make it a link. Even if you have to copy and paste, it is worth the effort.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

I don't think many people doubted the legitamacy of the photo.

Of the two posted yours looks like it COULD have been but I have seen lots of those pictures etc.
Conundrum's looked real to me.

I was just enjoying the discussion 'twixt a space engineer and his ego.

BTW- PSIPIKE
YOU did say that you can't comment than you jusmped on her ass for quoting you. Sometimes it's easier to step away and breathe.

Maybe you know andi (bikerbabe) but it's curious that her opinion is what made you chill.
than, again maybe because she's an officer in the AF.

Still...the photo was real.
My photos

My Videos

I'm welcome to my own fucking opinion....if its not photoshopped then I'll apologize, but I'm still welcome to believe what I want...

Not to instigate but you said it.

I have totally been in the wrong before when I was defending something I believe to be right/true. when I was proven wrong I kinda take a step back and say "oh shit, I'm sorry."
My photos

My Videos

Anybody else go through a bag of popcorn over this one or was it just me?

I was wondering what everyone else was doing/thinking...

Well... I am a pilot, and I have broken the sound barrier many many times. Please see the attached photo, which WAS NOT PHOTOSHOPED explaining what you two inferior minded people are trying to discuss. Water vapor can accumulate at that low altitude, near the speed of sound. Any questions, I'd be happy to answer....

Now that one is real. You can tell because the plane looks a little shorter than normal due to Fitzgerald-Lorentz Contraction resulting from such an amazing speed.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

The way i read spikes initial problem was that there should be a disturbance in the water below the plane when it is flying that low. He was not doubting the wator vapor being real, or that what is happening in the picture could not take place, water vapor wise.

He was looking for proof that the plane actually was in the bay when that happened.

I still don't get how the plane is in focus but nothing else, but I still don't really know how a friggen digital camera works.:|

Skymama's #2 stalker -

Probably because the photog was tracking the plane from left to right. when s/he snapped the pic the only thing in focus was the plane because the camera was moving giving the impression that everything else is out of focus.

What ever the hissy fit was all about HE was the one who said he'd apologize. He jumped all over Chelle because she said its real. it IS.
My photos

My Videos

The way i read spikes initial problem was that there should be a disturbance in the water below the plane when it is flying that low. He was not doubting the wator vapor being real, or that what is happening in the picture could not take place, water vapor wise.

He made it clear that he thinks there should be water disturbance under the plane, and that what he said was correct, however, the numerous photos and the video say otherwise.

Decide for yourself.

Psipike02 is a good guy and has quite a bit of knowledge in this area, all debates and disagreements aside. Before anyone jumps on him for his silence here, I just wanted to let you know that he got called away and isn't by a computer (or, at least, wasn't as of about an hour ago).
TPM Sister #102

Probably because the photog was tracking the plane from left to right. when s/he snapped the pic the only thing in focus was the plane because the camera was moving giving the impression that everything else is out of focus.

What ever the hissy fit was all about HE was the one who said he'd apologize. He jumped all over Chelle because she said its real. it IS.

I don't know what the hissy is all about. I don't really care. It's just that I kept reading and seeing pictures posted saying it can happen. I didn't think he was saying it couldn't happen.

I did think that it was possible for the camera to follow the plane and snap and that could possibly cause the out of focus in the background. I'm just no that good of a picture taker, yet;)
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I don't doubt that I have seen a few posts of his and he usually doesn't come across like that but he is wrong and IMO if he's that good a person he'll own up to it.

I know he's an engineer etc. I've seen the satelite link that he posted and was amazed...but even the smartest people can be wrong.

I don't deserve an apology, Chelle does. I have no idea what could have gone on in PM's but in public he came across as someone who was pissed that his opinion could be questioned.

Chelle was only arguing what she knew just because she isn't a rocket scientist (AFAIK) doesn't mean she didn't see this enough to know about it.
My photos

My Videos

Cool video.

Isn't that just an extreme version of the little swirly goodies we sometimes see coming off the wingtips of something even as small as a 182?

Yep. If you take a volume of air a X pressure with the right amount of water vapor in it and rapidly reduce the pressure, the water vapor will turn back into liquid forming a fine mist. The pressure change can come from tip vortices but is really easy to see on an airliner with flaps down. The cloud will form right behind the flaps. As soon as the air returns to ambient pressure the water disappears into vapor again.

The cone shape of the cloud that develops around a high speed but subsonic plane is (AFAIK) due to the fact that the plane is just starting to go fast enough for some compression of the air flowing over it to take place. It is either a wimpy or an incipient shock wave developing, but there isn't enough compression for a sonic boom. So instead of just having clouds form on certain places like the flaps, the cross section of the airplane is disturbing the pressure sufficiently. The front surface of the cone is the area where the pressure drop is big and fast enough to dump the water vapor out of the air.

-NickDG