Morrison79

Pachinko

We had a machine at home years ago. I think launching the ball right helps, but it's been a long time. Are the balls still engraved with symbols or characters? Noisy buggers.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

put a ten yen coin in the side of the thing that you use to launch your balls. will allow you to control their dispersal as they're set to spray & pray. that should allow you to collect a couple trays of steel balls and plenty of time to smoke cigarettes and drink Suntory...

then once you get a shit pile of balls the trick then is to pick the toy that will get you cash across the street when you put it in the little hole in the wall that hands you back cash. especially if you're not Japanese. might help if you speak the language...

people actually make money playing that game...

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

As far as I saw the balls just look like ball bearings.
The machines are noisy as hell though. There is a knob that you control launching the balls but I am unclear what exactly you are trying to do.

All of the balls in ours had Japanese lettering formed into the surface.

I don't remember the knob. It just had a chrome plated flip lever that would launch one ball at a time. You could control the launch by how far you moved the lever down before letting it spring back up and launch the ball. We had the machine when I was in grade school, so it's possible I'm remembering wrong. I'm certain, though, that I wanted to kill my little sister for playing that thing while I was trying to read>:(

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Now you got me curious. I'm going to see if we still have the thing. it might be worth something. Ours looked like the picture, but it was in much better condition. Here is a writeup about playing them (the old ones, anyway).

http://faculty.ccp.edu/faculty/dreed/Campingart/pachinko/game.htm

-NickDG

I think that post about the coin trick was from someone else. Also, the machines they use now are different and have electronics inside. The one we had was probably 1960's vintage. Mechanically they might be the same though. I haven't read tht thing about how to play them.

How does the gambling part work? Do you just buy a bunch of balls and trade what's left when you're done for cash, or do the machines take money now?

The machine we had was equipped with a buit-in ashtray, which seemed kind of interesting. I always pictured a smoke-filled room with machines covering every wall. God that would be noisy inside!

-NickDG

Basically it works a lot like a modern slot machine.
It accepts between 1000 and 10,000 yen billls.
Then it gives you a credit and you push a button to get the balls. Once you run out of balls you push a button and more balls come out until you run out of credit.
As far as trading them in I have no idea, I lost about $100 in less than 10 minutes. :S
OMFG it is noisyer than a jet taking off.

The one we had didn't have a money slot so I guess you would just buy the balls like poker chips. So do the balls actually come out of the machine into a lower tray so you have to move them up to a feed tray, or is it done automatically inide the machine? It must be possible to win or people wouldn't do it.

-NickDG

The balls come machine into a tray on the machine.
If you win enough, not likely for me, than there is a large tray underneath that you can move the balls into.
I am sure that it is possible to win, I was talking to a guy at work here and he said that he won 80,000 yen over the weekend.
He explained to me that for each ball you get in the center hole, you get 4 balls in return. Any ball that does not go in the center hole you lose.