bigway

Rugby World Cup

I was pleasantly surprised by the USA's technical skills. There is absolutely no reason why they shouldn't become a world power in international rugby in years to come.

Agreed completely. There were 50 min of the game where they really performed well!

t

I watched a large portion of the game, as well. It was nice actually knowing what was going on - having played it for a couple of years. The US players did display some strong things in which to grow upon. We are certainly improving.

But England, despite their subpar showing, did show some things and moments that were simply marvelous. They took advantage of moments of US confusion.

That's where the US needs to improve - don't be confused. Be aware out there and keep yourself set. THere's no reason why an opposing player should be able to catch a pass and run through the middle untouched for a long run.

But the Eagles seemes entirely confortable to play defense and hope to score.

And despite a couple of spectacular fouls (the prop's trip of the American player, and the hard tackle by the American player at the end) the game was free of the violent rucks from the side, etc. Neither team seemed to take anything personally - even the hard fouls were shaken off.

And recall that it wasn't even a decade ago that the Eagles were trounced b England 106-8.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

And recall that it wasn't even a decade ago that the Eagles were trounced b England 106-8.

Also recall that the team England had 5-10 years ago being one of the strongest teams in the world.

The team that was played against the USA over the weekend was at around 30% of what they were between the period of 1998-2004.

The USA played well, however that was Englands worst performance in the last 10 years. So really it kind of counters out any comparison against older England teams.

England should have beaten the USA by 50+ points, dont think that because they did not is because the USA is much better, it was because that was a terrible performance by England.

The rugby world over is shocked at how England performed so badly, they are not shocked the other way around because the only reason the score was so close was because the England team were rubbish.

I dont meant to belittle the USA over the way they performed as I think they always have played strong rugby when it comes to the 'B and C' teams on the world stage, just not the 'A' teams.

England is an 'A' team 75% of the time over the last 20 years. However the game agaisnt the USA they performed as a 'C' team.

In the rugby world you would have the following teams that are ever any sort of competition....
New Zealand
Australia,
South Africa,
Manu Samoa,
France,
Wales,
Ireland,
Fiji,
Tonga,
Argentina,
Italy,

The above list is in no particular order..

If the list was in any order then England would be in the top 5 teams. They played like we would expect the bottom team out of that to play. Playing any of the above teams is a big game for any of those nations, The way england played the other day any of those teams would of given England a thrashing.

I just dont want to you to compare how the USA played against England over the weekend as to how they played 8 years ago against england because there is no comparisson.

That is not to say the USA are not improving because they are. They are showing alot of disciplin and some good ball handling as well as showing more endurance than they use to. I have always wanted to see the USA in the quaters and they may make it to the Quaters this year. It sure would be good for them to play Australia as it would be the biggest game of the USA teams to date and i am sure it would be a huge achievment for the USA in international sport.

I dont think the USA has ever exceeded in International team sport and maybe if they made this you guys would not have so much trouble finding a channel to watch it on.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I know you aren't knocking the US. We've come quite far in rugby, but we've got quite a ways further to go. Give us another 12 years and we may get up into a better place with it.

It's like US Soccer - we're just starting to get good in the international setting.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I am sure you guys will as well. There are many students coming from the US to New Zealand these days so they can play rugby while at school.

I just pray that the US does not grab hold of rugby with money. One of the best things about Rugby is that the boys to not get paid millions upon millions of dollars.

Nothing beats Grass Roots rugby and the World cup is an amazing sporting event. It is actually the 3rd biggest sporting event in the world and probably the only one that is not about making millions of dollars.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Nothing beats Grass Roots rugby and the World cup is an amazing sporting event. It is actually the 3rd biggest sporting event in the world and probably the only one that is not about making millions of dollars.

Nope, it's about making hundreds of millions of dollars:P
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think the winning team only gets a million dollars between them.

I remember back at school when Jonah got offered to leave our school to go and play for the dallas cowboys for the sum of 10 million dollars. This was when he was 18 back in 1994/95 and he turned it down because he wanted to make the All Blacks. Back in those days the All Blacks had normal jobs. For example, Sean Fitzpatrick ( All Blacks Captain) was a plumber. Allan Whetton was a truck driver. Fats was a piano mover.

Sure some players get good sponsorship money but they arent being payed stupid amounts of money to play rugby. All Blacks all get a free car from Ford and a salary but i doubt there is any All Black earning 1 million NZD (700,000 USD) I think Jonah was on 350,000 NZD at his peak playing for the all blacks.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

2003:
The IRB offered prize money for the first time. This included a monetary prize for the winners and a participation bonus to help the respective unions financially. This worked on a basis of the longer the team was in the tournament, the more money it received. The 20 teams competing in the 2003 Rugby World Cup in Australia were paid a minimum of £150,000 ($216,000) for their participation, after the International Rugby Board (IRB) accepted recommendations from the Rugby World Cup Board.

That sum rose to as much as £303,500 ($437,100) depending on how far the teams progressed in the competition, after the IRB recognised the large expenditure involved in sending teams to the World Cup.

As well as the guaranteed £151,700 ($ 218,500) for each team, the eight quarter-finalists received an additional £101,180 ($145,700) each and a further £50,500 ($72,800) each if they reached the semi-finals.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

Yep, NZ are coming into this tournament in a position of complete global dominance - even more so than England had coming into the 2003 RWC.

On the evidence of the opening games I can't imagine them losing to anyone other than SA, and I think that their world cup jitters would have to kick in again for that to happen as well.

England vs South Africa- Wilkinson ruled out again. (does this guy EVER play anymore)

New Zealand vs Portugal- Changes to the team only leave 4 players from last weeks game.

I have had to just get the cable tv package as it is hard to find a place to watch the world cup at 4am. [:/]

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

England vs South Africa- Wilkinson ruled out again. (does this guy EVER play anymore)

And Barkley might be out as well with a hip injury! There's already an empty space on the bench while Ashton is waiting for a FB/wing replacement to recover from illness - if Barkley is ruled out as well we might be looking at flying two replacements into the squad already.:o

SA are going to murder us:|

Dont forget about the guy who does the kicking. He has a hearing on thursday and is facing a ban. That will be three out.

the odds at the bookies are saying that SA will beat england by 35+ points at something like $2

under that it is paying something like $5.

I cant wait for this game! I love try fests and i think this is going to be an exhibition of some awesome back line tries!

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

As usual the press make a hero of a single player, the crowd follow and as soon as Johnny is out people start freaking out because our "world cup winner" is broken all the time.

Great player but sometimes i feel like we are such drama queens and defeatists when we lose a key player in ANY sport.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Wilkinson was not just a hero or a key player. He was the BEST player in the world back in 2002/3

All the all blacks were asked who the best player in the world was back before the last world cup and they all said wilkinson or carlos spencer.

Without wilkinson in the last world cup you would not have made the finals considering he scored 80% of all the points.

However since that world cup win you guys have been ripped apart since then and this is probably because wilkinson and the old captain have not been playing.

I think losing him is a huge deal just like if the all blacks lost any of our key players.

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I agree it is a huge deal, but thats the reason why we should drop the defeatist attitude and work out how to compensate (can we really?) for it.

Some might say its a realists attitude as opposed to a pessamistic one, i'd just like to see some hope expressed by the public.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

Dont forget about the guy who does the kicking. He has a hearing on thursday and is facing a ban. That will be three out.

Yeah, Phil Vickery. On the one hand I wish the ref had seen it at the time and just given him a Yellow, on the other hand I really don't have any sympathy for him. It was a stupid foul and catching the Yank on the knee like that could have caused a serious injury.

I cant wait for this game! I love try fests and i think this is going to be an exhibition of some awesome back line tries!

>:(>:(>:(

[:/]:|:D:S

Yep, NZ are coming into this tournament in a position of complete global dominance - even more so than England had coming into the 2003 RWC.

On the evidence of the opening games I can't imagine them losing to anyone other than SA, and I think that their world cup jitters would have to kick in again for that to happen as well.

Again. 1999 comes to mind. And will happen. Again...:)

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."