Will Hamilton be F1 World Campion tomorrow?

Congratulations to Raikkonen, Great race, Shame Alonso had technical problems but thats F1.

Alonso had no tech problems... he was just slow! ;) (in the interview, he didnt hint at any issues, just that he couldnt keep up with the Ferraris after the 1st 3 laps).

Hamilton had the tech problem.
Remster

Congratulations to Raikkonen, Great race, Shame Alonso had technical problems but thats F1.

Alonso had no tech problems... he was just slow! ;) (in the interview, he didnt hint at any issues, just that he couldnt keep up with the Ferraris after the 1st 3 laps).

Hamilton had the tech problem.

I beg to differ, When the Catalan reporter asked Dennis if Alonso had technical problems he said yes
As for Hamilton He probably pushed the wrong button an had to do a reset:P

Gone fishing

When the Catalan reporter asked Dennis if Alonso had technical problems he said yes

HAHAHAHA....
and if Mr. Dennis said it.....
LOL, Thech problems?????
Alonso never said anything... (ok i didnt watch all of his post race interview) correct me if i'm wrong ;)
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

He'll never get to repeat his first season though. He'll regret this his whole career. It's like doing your first jump and not getting video ;)

I didn't get video on my 1st jump and I don't regret it.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

NO WAY!!!!
You didnt see it????
I'd have to say it was one of the most interesting and fun F1 races I have watched (on tv anyways)
I know here on speed channel they replay late in the night.....

I don't have a TV. Haven't needed one since Beverly Hills 90210 ended:$

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Just wanted to get your thoughts on something. F-1, has had a rather 'controversial' season, with the McClaren-Farrari thing. Today, they announce Raikkonan the winner. They came back and said 'wait a minute... his fuel was 2-3 degrees cooler than it should've been and those ahead of (I believe) Hamilton were guilty of the same offense. Then, they said 'No', Raikkonan was in fact the winner. What do you think?

edit to add: Now, penalties have been levied and appeals filed... Hamilton could be declared the winner!

Chuck

It wasn't Raikkonen but rather the BMW Sauber and Williams drivers. Had they been penalized, Hamilton would've moved up to fifth and win the title. Oh well.

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-f1-braziliangp&prov=ap&type=lgns
Why don't you just go to the police station in a red clown suit and let everybody know what we're doing here?

I have a phobia for moobs. Thanks, youknowwhoyouare.

It looks like McLaren is going to appeal the FIA Stewards' decision about the fuel temperatures.

Found this here: http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns19812.html

McLaren to appeal Stewards' decision

McLaren says it will appeal the decision of the Stewards in Brazil not to punish the BMW Sauber and Williams teams despite the fact that fuel temperature in all four cars was more than 10-degrees C beneath the ambient temperature, which is not allowed according to the regulations. McLaren says that it accepts that it was beaten fair and square by Ferrari in Brazil and says that that it simply wants to understand how cars can be found by FIA officials to have broken the rules and yet not have any punishment.

It is important to point out that the events of Sunday night were not caused by any protest from McLaren but rather resulted from a report from FIA Technical Delegate Jo Bauer to the stewards, drawing their attention to the problem.

This is a fair point and it comes eight years after a ruling by which Ferrari won the Malaysian Grand Prix when the measuring techniques of the scrutineers were called into question in the International Court of Appeal.

This is effectively what has happened in Brazil as the stewards ruled that they did not have "a precise reading of the temperature of 'fuel on board the car' which shows fuel at more than 10 degrees C below ambient temperature" nor did they have a regulation stating "in clear terms" that the definitive ambient temperature shall be that indicated on the FOM timing monitors".

The stewards added that there was a "considerable discrepancy between the ambient temperatures recorded by FOM and by Meteo France.

This provided them with sufficient doubt as to the true ambient temperature and that it was therefore inappropriate to impose a penalty.

Given that the outcome of the World Championship might have been at stake, depending on the penalty imposed, this decision was not an easy one to take but it must raise questions about the quality of the scrutineering methods, particularly in the light of the Ferrari bargeboard case in 1999.

There is a very sound philosophical argument that asks the question of what technical rules are worth if they cannot properly be measured - and further questions about why things have not been improved during the eight year period since Malaysia 1999.

It is a sad reflection that a great sporting day should have to end with such questions, but at the same time it is right that these questions be asked - and indeed answered in a proper fashion.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I was watching 'Wind Tunnel' with Dave Despain on Speed channel and he announced it. I was writing here to see if, anyone else had heard something.
Not being familiar with F-1 racing, I am especially curious about fuel temperatures at the time of car fueling. I had never heard of it.

Chuck

Here's what I know.

FIA rules require that the fuel in the cars be no colder than 10C below ambient temperature. That's to prevent teams from cooling their fuel in order to get more in the cars during pitstops and more importantly, cooler fuel increases horsepower. FIA somehow monitors the fuel temps, either in the cars or in the refuel tanks in the pits. FIA measures ambient temperature using the FOM (Formula One Monitor), which might be part of their lap timing system. FIA also has a contract with a meteorology company called Meteo France, who goes to each race to, I assume, provide weather information which would include ambient temperature. I assume that the FOM temp is the one normally used to measure ambient for fuel tem checks.

The cars from two teams were found to have fuel that was too cold. If those cars were penalized, McLaren driver Lewis Hamilton would be F1 World Champ instead of Kkiki Raikkonen from Ferarri. Somehow an issue was raised about the fact that the ambient temp as measured by the FOM was a few degrees warmer than that measured by Meteo France. Using the Meteo France temp as ambient would mean the cars were legal. It turns out that the FIA rulebook is not clear regarding how to measure ambient temperature, i.e. it doesn't require that the FOM temp be used. So the stewards decided that they couldn't penalize the cars. Here's part of what they said:

(We lacked) a precise reading of the temperature of 'fuel on board the car' which shows fuel at more than 10 degrees centigrade below ambient temperatur (and) a regulation stating in clear terms that for the purposes of Article [6.5.5] the definitive ambient temperature shall be indicated on the FOM timing monitors alone.

"In view of the matters referred to above, the stewards consider that not withstanding the presumptions referred to above there must be sufficient doubt as to both* the temperature of the fuel actually 'on board the car'* and also as to the true ambient temperature as to render it inappropriate to impose a penalty."

*I'm not sure about this part of their statement. The full statement has not been posted on the FIA site yet.

Anyway, it looks like the rule may have been poorly worded, but unless it's a new rule it's hard to believe the problem wasn't discovered earlier.

McLaren says that it accepts that it was beaten fair and square by Ferrari in Brazil and says that that it simply wants to understand how cars can be found by FIA officials to have broken the rules and yet not have any punishment.

-NickDG

McLaren says that it accepts....

They really have disapointed me this year. 1st they steal/buy documents/technology. Then they cue their drivers. Then they use a gearbox that was not crash tested. And this weekend they use 2 sets of wets - the penalty of which has always been a loss of grid positions historically, and get away with a 15000 Euro fine. Less than the cost of a front wing.

And now they bitch.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Just wanted to get your thoughts on something. F-1, has had a rather 'controversial' season, with the McClaren-Farrari thing. Today, they announce Raikkonan the winner. They came back and said 'wait a minute... his fuel was 2-3 degrees cooler than it should've been and those ahead of (I believe) Hamilton were guilty of the same offense. Then, they said 'No', Raikkonan was in fact the winner. What do you think?

I think it would be extremely bad for F1 if the championship gets decided in a stewards office!

F1 is full to the brim with extremely complex technical regulations which the teams will all push to the breaking point and most teams will run an illegal car, knowingly or un-knowingly, at some point in the season. Sometimes they'll get a warning, sometimes a fine, grid penalty for the next race, loss of points from the race - Honda were even banned from two races last season after running an illegal fuel pump. It's happened before, but I hope it doesn't happen now even though I wanted Hamilton to win.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

I think it would be extremely bad for F1 if the championship gets decided in a stewards office!

F1 is full to the brim with extremely complex technical regulations which the teams will all push to the breaking point and most teams will run an illegal car, knowingly or un-knowingly, at some point in the season. Sometimes they'll get a warning, sometimes a fine, grid penalty for the next race, loss of points from the race - Honda were even banned from two races last season after running an illegal fuel pump. It's happened before, but I hope it doesn't happen now even though I wanted Hamilton to win.

I can understand that. This all sounds so familiar... NASCAR. They too, have their complex technical regulations. For an example, one car that won a race was fined and lost owner's points because the car failed an after race inspection... the right rear of the car was just a bit too high. He was still, the winner.
This most recent thing with F-1 seems to be over the difference in fuel temperature by 1 or 2 degrees cooler than is allowed in relation to the ambient temperature. As I understand it, even the stewards are confused by the rule.

Chuck