billvon

San Diego evacuation center shortages (Qualcomm stadium)

Was just there dropping off supplies. Dropoff is parking area P in Qualcomm Stadium, Mission Valley. If anyone is in the area, they still need:

Cots/sleeping pads/folding chairs (for elderly types)
Garbage bags
Personal hygiene stuff (soap, sanitizer etc)

They were also asking for canned food, bottled water, towels and blankets but they seem to have a lot of that now. They are evacuating 250,000 people, so they probably won't go to waste if you bring them down.

I just saw this in the news:

Qualcomm is requesting medical volunteers. Any doctors, nurses, EMTs, pharmacists, or any other practitioners please report to Qualcomm.

and this:

Fires have forced the closure of two blood donation centers. Blood drives now in effect at Qualcomm and Del Mar Fairgrounds.

From http://www.kpbs.org/, but they don't seem to have any more details.

They are requesting blood donations and assistance with the donations if you are unable to give.

I'll be helping out since I can't give until 31OCT...:(

If you are off work and want to help, see you there.

Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

I'm about 70 miles north of SD, on the 15, so it's probably not a good idea to drive down there (if the 15 is even open). I've been looking for something locally that I can help with, but so far I haven't found anything, and unfortunately I can't donate blood. I do have some free time because my classes have been canceled for the week, but the local evacuation center doesn't seem to want any more volunteers or donations (other than cash).

Anyhow, that's great that you are helping out. And if anyone knows of anything I can do to help in the Temecula/Murrieta area, please let me know.

They are requesting blood donations and assistance with the donations if you are unable to give.

I'm all spare-supplied out after Peru.

But I have money & blood.B| I'm O+ so I feel bad not donating when there's a need or a shortage. I don't go otherwise, but since there's ALWAYS a shortage on O...

Fuck. Guess I'm going to donate blood again tomorrow after breakfast. Damn fires.

:P
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Probably the closest fires to Perris are those in the San Bernardino area, which is about 25 mi. north of Perris.

And actually the Fallbrook fire looks equally close to Perris, but to the south. And there is another fire about the same distance to the west, but it doesn't look like any are too close to Perris (or Elsinore).

Probably the closest fires to Perris are those in the San Bernardino area, which is about 25 mi. north of Perris.

And actually the Fallbrook fire looks equally close to Perris, but to the south. And there is another fire about the same distance to the west, but it doesn't look like any are too close to Perris (or Elsinore).

There was a fire just south of Diamond Lake earlier today.
I do not think it was the Fallbrook/Witch/Rose etc fire. The smoke was too low and you could see the eddy structures in the billowing smoke (from Hemet).
It 'looks' to be out or contained because the smoke is not so bad now.
The upper winds have changed directions. The smoke is now coming over Hemet. Upper winds are now SW to NE, but light.
The light outside has that eerie look - kinda what Mt St Helens ash looked like from Illinois.

And btw, the Witch fire and the Poomacha fires have combined and are 100% out of control - headed north.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

It's hard to keep up with all of the fires. I just saw in the news that one broke out in Wildomar a few hours ago (just down the road from us), but it is out now. The skies over our house are now so full of smoke that it's hard to tell where it's coming from, though I think most of it is from the Fallbrook area. We're starting to get a layer of ash on top of the layer of dirt that blew in over the weekend.

>But how about you yourself, Bill - You guys OK or evac'd?

So far we're OK. There was a voluntary evacuation that came within a few hundred yards of us, but that's since been lifted. Per the latest fire map the fires are now headed east, which means they're headed away from us - so we're probably in good shape (barring surprises.)