skybytch

favorite kitchen tools

I know at least some of you like to cook/bake. What are your favorite kitchen tools and why?

I love my mixer (old school Sunbeam Mixmaster, just like the one mom had when I was a kid). It makes mixing cookie dough and cake mixes soooo much easier. And since it's just like the one mom had it brings back a lot of great memories while I'm using it too.

While digging in the drawer for what I needed to make cookies today, I found a really cool plastic spatula/scraper thingie. It's got a bit of a curve to it that fits the side of the bowl perfectly, makes scraping the stuff on the sides really easy. No idea where it came from but what a great idea somebody had.

Don't use it often enough but I also love the bread machine. Warm homemade french bread.... yum...

My set of copper saucepans an a old cast iron skillet. All that non stick stuff is for the wussies.

Oh an the rolling pin for when the wife comes home late without an explanation;)

almost forgot my set of Victorinox set of carbon steel knives

Gone fishing

Wow! You make cookies? I want some!

Well, my favourite has gotta be my iron frying pan. food doesn't stick to it, it's heavy and solid and won't break if I use something sharp in it.

And the dishwasher. Never again wash dishes!

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Not really used IN the kitchen but, my Weber charcoal Grill is favorite cooking accessory. If it won't fall throught the grate, on the grill it goes.

2nd favorite is my bottle opener :P

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest" ~Samuel Clemens

MB#4300
Dudeist Skydiver #68

My favorite kitchen tool is a hammer... like the kind you can get at any tool supplier. Mine is a Craftsman. Use it to chop nuts, tenderize meat, flatten a chicken breast.... very useful.

I think that was part of why my husband fell for me, when I whipped out that kitchen hammer to chop walnuts to throw into brownie batter B|

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

A guy walks into the butchers one day, looks around and says to the butcher "What happened to your assistant?".
The butcher says "I had to fire him. He kept putting his dick in the bacon slicer".
"Oh..." says the man, "what happened to the bacon slicer?".

The butcher turns to him and says, "I had to fire her too !!!!":D:D:D:D:D:D

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

My favorite kitchen tool is a hammer... like the kind you can get at any tool supplier. Mine is a Craftsman. Use it to chop nuts, tenderize meat, flatten a chicken breast.... very useful.

I think that was part of why my husband fell for me, when I whipped out that kitchen hammer to chop walnuts to throw into brownie batter B|

Yes! Kitchen Hammer! I have one of those too! :D
~skysprite

The items that I would miss the most if I didn't have them are the set of Cutco knives and the Kitchenaid stand mixer.

I use the knives every day, and they are always sharp.

I like to bake and the Kitchenaid makes it a lot easier.
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.

Henckels knives are the best - I got a set of 3 from my g/f for Christmas. One of the best gifts I've ever received, ever. The cutting board, and a set of T-Fal pans. I'm working on finding some cast iron pans. Not new, want to find some well-seasoned at a garage sale or whatever.

Easy Does It

I have two favorite tools. I cook everynight, and personally feel that I'm pretty decent armature chef. I find these two tools to be indispensable.

French Spatula- it flexes, it's thin, and it's sharp. Perfect for getting under cookies, tossing vegetables, flipping pancakes, etc.
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/cw166/index.cfm?bnrid=3100117&cm_ven=WS&cm_cat=General&cm_pla=SiteMap&cm_ite=Products&CM_REF=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fhl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial%26hs%3Dq1Q%26sa%3DX%26oi%3Dspell%26resnum%3D0%26ct%3Dresult%26cd%3D1%26q%3D%2Bflexible%2Bspatula%26spell%3D1&flash=on

Edlund Tongs- accept no imitations. Stir with them, flip, toss, serve, ... the uses are never ending. The reason they are better than other brands are that when closed, the front lines up, evenly, so you have consistent grip on whatever you're grabbing. They also lock and are very sturdy. I highly recommend them.
** go with the 4409HDL **

http://www.edlundco.com/ki_tongs.html

my 50's model all original with milk glass mixing bowls Sunbeam Mixmaster

Mine has the milk glass bowls too. So cool.

bread machines are bleh!
they're related to iced tea makers! make it from scratch!!!

That's next on the learn-to-make list. But it has to wait until after Xmas as I have no bread pans.

It's funny, mom swore by her cast iron fry pans when I was a kid but I don't like them at all. Maybe that's cuz I always got stuck washing them...

It's funny, mom swore by her cast iron fry pans when I was a kid but I don't like them at all. Maybe that's cuz I always got stuck washing them...

Jesus christ on a cross. YOU NEVER WASH CAST IRON at the most I wipe the frypans or skillet with a damp cloth an thats only if I don't have an old newspaper handy.
If a cast iron pot, pan or whatever starts sticking the remedy is, pour in some Olive oil , heat untill smoking then add a fist full of salt an scrub all interior surfaces
with newspaper or kitchen paper, rinse out with just cold water an you'll find it becomes nonstick for a while.

Gone fishing

I have a waffle baker that I,m pretty stoked about!!!

my knives....duh, if you dont have good knives in the kitchen then you probably don't know what youre doing in there to begin with.

cast iron skillets are pretty awesome I have several. excellent heat retention/distribution and superior natural non-stick properties, when properly seasoned of course.

pretty much everything in my kitchen is useful/awesome otherwise get it the fuck outa the area.

edited to add: my gas range, gotta have natural gas oterwise youre just fucking around
if you want a friend feed any animal
Perry Farrell

The items that I would miss the most if I didn't have them are the set of Cutco knives and the Kitchenaid stand mixer.

I use the knives every day, and they are always sharp.

I like to bake and the Kitchenaid makes it a lot easier.

That was going to be my answer I sold them when I was 16 and have a compleate set from back then that was 18 years ago and they are still in execlent shape

My other tool is Garlic press
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

I have a similar spatula (flexible and strong and thin). But my real favorite is a bamboo stirrer; kind of a combination between a spatula and a spoon, that I use for darn near everything. It won't scratch stuff, and it's harder to bruise things.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My other tool is Garlic press

I bought a good garlic press, but I swear I can tell the difference in the recipe if I press or mince the garlic. Unfortunately, I like the taste of the minced better... stinky hands... [:/]
What do you call a beautiful, sunny day that comes after two cloudy, rainy
ones? -- Monday.