thedarkside

Psyco Packing a Pilot

A friend of mine just got a new Icon with a Pilot main (169) Has anyone had experence with this main and Psyco packing? This is the way that I pack my safire 2 and it makes it much easier with new canopies. I don't want to give him bad advice if it's not recomended. Thanks! -- Johan
Keep going faster until the joy of speed overcomes the fear of death.

I was trying when my was new. It does not help. Its slippery from silicone.

You may check this

You may find textual description among my posts.

Doesn't look like a pyscho pack to me...

You dont actually "pack" the canopy different between PRO or pyscho packing, you just bag it differently. It if were my personal canopy, I'd pyscho pack it, thats what seems to work for me.

I believe Fergs psycho packs his pilot. He only does wingsuit jumps so I imagine the openings should be good.
He may see this thread and post.

Yep, I've psycho packed 100% of my pack jobs for past 1000 jumps or so. Latest gear is Icon with a Pilot main. It always opens soft and on-heading. I especially love psycho for new canopies as it goes into the bag so nicely.

Remember that most manufacturers do not recommend psycho, so if you choose to use it, consider yourself a guinea pig (whilst enjoying the ease of packing and nice openings, ha).

Blue Skies,

fergs
B|

Thank you everyone for a reply!! I'll be sure to relay the message to my friend, since I'll have to teach him how to pack. I started to Psyco pack when I had my Saber 2 due to a constant off heading openings. Believe it or not it was a fix! Then I bought a Safire 2 which the factory recomends the psyco. I currently have a crossfire 2 (Also made my Icarus) which recomended against the it. That is why I was asking about the Pilot. I wasn't sure if maybe there was something with the design of the wing that would make this packing style not feasable. Thanks to everyone again!! -- Johan

The difference, as I understand it (which doesn't say a heckuva lot--look at my profile ;) ), is:

Psycho pack is similar to the pro-pack up until the point where you place the fan-shaped blob on the floor. With the psycho pack, you flip the canopy over at that point so that the side that's normally against the floor is facing upward.

Then, instead of bunching or folding the "wings" of the "fan" underneath the canopy (like with the pro-pack), you criss-cross the ends of the fan and make them overlap each other to reduce the size of the "fan." Then fold the ends inward so that the canopy is the width of the d-bag. Then roll it up like a sleeping bag (with the bridle sticking out the side of it) and stuff into the d-bag, making sure the grommets face up rather than down. Then flip the stuffed bag back over again, making sure you flip/rotate it the opposite way you did when putting the canopy on the floor in the first place. Then continue as usual.

But a picture's worth a thousand words. Here's a link on Precison Aerodynamics' website that shows a video of somebody doing this in about 60 seconds:

http://www.precision.aero/packing/mvc-002v.mpg
"DOOR!!!"

The Icarus site a great place to start (If you want to learn) This is the way that I do it. There are differnt methods. I still flake out my canopy like I'm going to PRO pack. When I lay it down I induce half a line twist. (Lay it down with the nose up) Cross the tail and then roll it up, like you roll your sleeping bag to get it to fit in the carrying bag. Keeping the bridle clear off to the side. then I turn my d-bag upside down and put the canopy in. here comes the tricky part. I need to turn the d-bag the opposite way that I layed the canopy down. To get out the half twist that I induced earlier. If I turn the d-bag the wrong way...guess what, I just packed myrself a full line twist. That's about it. I have found it a great way to pack a new canopy because you are rolling out all of the air. It doesn't have a chance to re-inflate on you when your trying to stuff it into the bag. It's a quick and clean way to pack. Please do not try this for the first time until you know for sure it's OK with YOUR canopy and have guidance with someone who is proficient with packing this method...Hope this helps! -- Johan