billvon

San Diego/LA fires

It is interesting that it shows only some very small fires to the south of the border in BAJA....

There is one hell of a dust cloud in that picture a couple hundred miles south of San Diego...Sailed thru one of those one time down there. we were 30 miles out to sea and were in a dust storm.

ok, i took some pics last night from my yard...here's a few. I tried to get a couple to get some perspective, then tried zooming in. I was using my husband's camera, which has way to many options for me to be proficient at...so i apologize for the crappiness of the photos. Not to mention i was using a .5 second exposure time...so it's blurry.

That is Mt. Woodson, about 3 miles northeast of my house. the fire is traveling west, which in the pictures is generally to the "left", hehe.

the last pic is zoomed in using a big lens...not much to see though since it's so dark.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

when I first looked for imagery yesterday I ran into this from 2003

Several massive wildfires were raging across southern California over the weekend of October 25, 2003. Whipped by the hot, dry Santa Ana winds that blow toward the coast from interior deserts, at least one fire grew 10,000 acres in just 6 hours. (Compare this scene with one captured by Aqua MODIS just one day before.)

"And the sky is blue and righteous in every direction" Survivor Chuck Palahniuk

I just put on my skydiving goggles and trainrobbery face scarf, and rode the scooter for about 8-10 miles in each direction of N. Escondido and it looks like we've seen the worst of it here. Now the clean-up begins. Rancho Bernardo got hit hard, lots of homes were lost there. With the low winds today and favorable forecast for the remainder of the week, we should be hearing some good news soon. Really glad to hear Skydive SD is okay. The sad part is...lots of people lost their homes in SD County and the fire season (for this area) has just begun.

Voluntary evacs from Highland (down the hill from the Arrow Bear fire). That's still about 10 miles from my house, and where it burned back in 2003.

My poor dog is a bit disoriented, what with just getting back from surgery (lipoma) and an Elizabeathan collar to funnel her vision...plus all the smoke. Poor baby.

The winds have shifted a bit tonight, instead of coming from the North, it's flowing from the Southeast. A bit of a reprieve.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

A close friend as well as my exhusband and his new wife and baby have all been evacuated. I've spoken to them and they seem to be dealing with it really well but afraid of the unknowns and when they can go back to see what was salvaged.

It's eerie that we here stories of people being in the clear - it just means the fire moved elsewhere. My sister was abotu ready to evac on SUnday night, and yesterday my brothers were evacuated from their school in Silverado

It's weird for me here in Fresno away from it. [:/]

My wife is hotter than your wife.

I live up in Hesperia...and have been watching the Lake Arrowhead fires move along the mountains. Last night the fire was miles long...but the winds are down now.

and, been watching this make runs over the valley here all day. Its base camp is at the Southern Cal Logistics in Victorville...very cool.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=N450AX&distinct_entry=true

So far, we are fortunate to be reasonably far away from any of the fires.

Here are some pictures I took this morning from Murrieta. One is from our side (south-facing) window, and the others are looking sort of southwest from the hill behind our house. The smoke appears to be coming from the Fallbrook (Rice Canyon) and maybe the Camp Pendleton fires.