billvon

San Diego/LA fires

I'm in Camarillo. was going to go surfing on Sunday.
Had a shocking change of plans!
The smoke and wind is tearing my nose and eyes up here. I can't imagine what it would be like where you were at. I pass Pepperdine quite often, interesting story about Lily (the owner of that castle)
Later,

the evacuation area is less than 5 miles from my house. some smaller fires and a larger one merged and it's moving west quickly.

right now, it seems to be staying to the north of me, but i'm packing some things up just in case. The "good" news is that a lot of the potential fuel that would track a fire near my house actually burned in the 2003 Cedar Fire...which means any fire that comes my way would move slower...not that THAT's a big comfort, heh.

They have ordered a massive evacuation of the area north of Highway 56, between I-15 and I-5, and south of Lake Hodges...that is a LOT of people and a lot of area. it includes a lot of Rancho Bernardo, including my husband's office and a lot of his colleagues' homes. He is out of town on business, which makes this doubly fun for me...i have to handle this myself.
:S

They've set up qualcomm stadium as an evacuation center...so that gives you an idea how many folks are affected by this.

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

The one burning in Castaic is really bad too. We're in Simi and the smoke is so bad, it's hard to breathe outside and there is ash everywhere.

The wind is just insane today. Horrible conditions for a fire. :S

I hate fire season.

Hope you guys are ok today. The wife and I headed to Valencia (from Frazier Park area) late afternoon yesterday to see a movie. By the time we hit Pyramid Lake on I-5 the smoke was very prevalent in front of us. We turned around at Magic Mountain, completely socked in. It was really a complete surprise to me and I sincerely hope all of these fires are stomped the fuck out soon. I live in Pine Mountain and we recently had the Zaca fire in the area and it woke me up a bit to these wildfires.

I wish everyone in danger the best, and remember stuff is just stuff, you can get more. Take care of you and your loved ones.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

My friends FIL lives in Escondido, his factory is there too.

He was just forced to evacuate the premises, and his home as well.

I hope the fire does not destroy any more homes or livelyhoods.

From the current CNN article.

"The situation continues to deteriorate," fire chief Bill Metcalf said at 10 a.m. Pacific time, with numerous structures lost across the county.

"I think there's a very good possibility it will reach the coast before it's finished," Metcalf said of one of the fiercest blazes.

Metcalf said the fires were consuming homes in the communities of Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, Forest Ranch and Lake Hodges.

"We have more houses burning than we have people and engine companies to fight them," San Diego Fire Capt. Lisa Blake said, according to the Associated Press. "A lot of people are going to lose their homes today."

[:/]

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

fire is still staying north of me. They are evacuating Pomerado Hospital, which is about 2 miles north of my house...and apparently there's homes burning in that area.

Many houses on fire or destroyed in Rancho Bernardo and Escondido, as well.

I have a bag packed, and already loaded my gear (gotta save that!) and some other vital possessions into our van in case we need to leave. so far it looks like we won't have to, but you never know.

250,000 people evacuated, and that number is growing. keep San Diego in your thoughts.
Never meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

I live right off of Hasley Canyon in Castaic. The top of our neighborhood was evacuated at 6 AM this morning and we are waiting to hear if we will be told to leave. Cross your fingers for us!

Theres another fire in Irvine right off the 241 toll road. I was driving to work today and had to pull over and stop because the smoke was making my eyes burn and water so badly that I couldnt see. looks like 2004 is repeating itself. [:/]

Poetry don't work on whores.

Theres another fire in Irvine right off the 241 toll road.

That fire is right behind my house, we had to evacuated last night @ 10pm. I came home to check on things this morning and there were ashes & smokes everywhere.:S
"Love is doing small things with great love."

Lacrosse: Legally beating men with sticks since 1492

i'm still at home, though they've started evacuations to the north and south of where i am.

I am ready to go, the trailer is hooked up and packed...so if/when official word come to leave i can just put the dogs in the van and take off.

Nice thing about having the trailer is that i can park anywhere.

>The top of our neighborhood was evacuated at 6 AM this morning and
>we are waiting to hear if we will be told to leave.

The evacuation list is changing minute by minute here. 15 is closed - 15 is open - 15 is closed again. Scripps ranch mandatory evacuations - then cancelled when the fire died down. Now the winds are whipping it up again. You really have to listen constantly to hear what's going on.

I'm still at home...the fires are north of me. I got some pictures last night of the fire line on mt woodson, about 3 miles from my house. It's not coming this way, and we haven't received any evac notices yet. All my stuff is packed and ready to go.

here's hoping!

We've had Ralph (the bus) packed for more than 24 hours but haven't yet been told to evacuate. Or, felt the need. We could see flames yesterday on the hillside to the S/E but the firefighters knocked those down. Just a ton of smoke, the air quality is really bad in Northern Escondido. The wind died down about 3 hours ago and it's pretty calm now.