DancesWClouds

Landing Characteristics

Hi all—

Landing has never been my forte, and after busting up both knees on my last landing (4 yrs. ago) I am rather paranoid. I am not afraid of starting to jump again; did the wind tunnel a few weeks back and was pleased to learn I can still fly. It's just that last part (landing) that really trips me out.

My previous canopy was a Triathlon 175 which NEVER flared well for me. Other folks who jumped it deemed it to be 'just fine'. Hell, I couldn't even completely stall the damn thing upstairs. I finally had taken to wrap it a few times which helped, but in some situations you just don't have the opportunity to do so before landing. I have seen the new owner take several face plants on it as well (my specialty).

I had several qualified people look at it and declare that it was in trim, or at least within the tolerance range.

Soon shall come the day that I'll be purchasing a canopy again. I'm pretty sure I want a 9-cell this time, possibly elliptical (though I'm a very conservative pilot), but I need soft openings (bad back) and lifty landings.

I had about 500 jumps when I quit, and feel that when I return I'll emotionally be at 200 or less.

Suggestions?

°
Dances
Muff Brother #2169

"You can take the girl out of the sky, but not the sky out of the girl!"

I'm pretty sure I want a 9-cell this time, possibly elliptical (though I'm a very conservative pilot), but I need soft openings (bad back) and lifty landings.

To me that screams Safire2. Semi elliptical 9-cell, looong ~1000ft openings (a bit too long for my liking but soft as you like), lovely handling and feel in flight and finally, flare power that just never ends. The control range is deeper on the Safire2 than other canopies but if you use the full toggle stroke its got more stopping power than anything else I've jumped.
Do you want to have an ideagasm?

Suggestions?

1) Take a canopy control course as soon as possible.

2) Don't buy a new (or used) canopy until you've had a chance to demo a few. Stick with more conservative types - Safire1 or 2, Sabre2, Pilot... and even though you think you want a 9 cell this time, I'd suggest demoing a Spectre as well.

3) Keep your wingloading light (1.0-ish) until you know you've got your landing issues worked out.

Suggestions?

1) Take a canopy control course as soon as possible.

2) Don't buy a new (or used) canopy until you've had a chance to demo a few. Stick with more conservative types - Safire1 or 2, Sabre2, Pilot... and even though you think you want a 9 cell this time, I'd suggest demoing a Spectre as well.

3) Keep your wingloading light (1.0-ish) until you know you've got your landing issues worked out.

i'll second that.Demo,demo and than demo some more untill your happy about the canopy.

good luck & welcome back
F

------------------------------------------------
NIL VOLENTIBUS ARDUUM.
(nothing is difficult for those who really want it)

If you're not very tall, with not-very-long arms, then a canopy with a long flare stroke might not be the best choice. So yes, demo, demo, demo, and keep that in mind. I found a safire1 to be almost impossible to land well on a no-wind day; partly skill, and partly the long flare.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)