vortexr1

2 of last 3 jumps RESERVE RIDES.

Last week had a right broken steering line. Decided it wasnt flying great and i didnt feel comfortable trying to land on risers. Today, first jump . Pulled at 4000'. Canopy opened and had tension knots on left side on lines A and B. Tried to correct them by flareing. The canopy was spinning and almost directly in front of me. I decided to cut away around 3000'..
Landed fine. I guess im writing this to see if anyone else has had reserve rides so close to one another? And any advise you might have.

Not sure of how many jumps on the current line set . I jump different rigs usually . Yes, the opening was hard when the line broke. I didnt pack the rogs that mafunctioned on me. I am packing with the help of a packer.
Dz owner said packers were probably the cause.

I had 2 in a row during a swoop comp. I decided it wasn't meant to be, so I dropped out. After the 2nd I took the time to inspect and test jump the gear in different configurations with the help of my rigger and found out it was my Pilot Chute. Not enough pull / snatch force and it was spinning and bouncing like crazy. Its amazing what a difference a good PC can make on openings.

Anyway the lesson I learned that day is to Maintain your gear, and each and every time you have a mal, try and figure out why it happened. Don't ever take the attitude that - oh well shit happens - Figure out why it happened and fix it !! Investigate it!

Go talk to your rigger, instructor or anyone else that you know will help to make sure you don't have a 3rd any time soon.

Now it could be something with the gear, but it could be you too. Maybe get video of you at pull time on your next jump, how is your body position, how is the opening sequence. The video will tell you (or someone experienced) alot about what might be happening.

Hope this helps

Cheers

I had 2 cutaways in 3 jumps as well. Not on the same canopy...

First cutaway was my 2nd wing suit jump on a borrowed Sabre2 135. Lazy pull caused line twists up the wazoo.

Second cutaway was 2 days later. Fun camera jump and had a tension knot on my Stiletto 135. See here

Honestly, the first one really freaked me out. I've had 5 cutaways prior to this, but this one really messed me up. The 2nd cutaway was pretty routine and I actually felt better after that one.

Not really much advise to give. You did the right thing in both cases. Sounds like your 2nd one was somewhat like mine!!!

ThAnks. Ya the second one i was more aware and alert to the situation. The one thing i was thinkin was. I was thinkin if i was gonna be given shit by the other jumpers. I mean i have only 30 jumps and already 2 reserve rides. Didnt want it to look like i was just pulling the reserve before i troed to fix the problem.. guess thats me just bein a newby.lol.

ThAnks. Ya the second one i was more aware and alert to the situation. The one thing i was thinkin was. I was thinkin if i was gonna be given shit by the other jumpers. I mean i have only 30 jumps and already 2 reserve rides. Didnt want it to look like i was just pulling the reserve before i troed to fix the problem.. guess thats me just bein a newby.lol.

First thing first, worry about your own ass before others..
Stay high pull low

Jeez dude there aren't going to be any rental rigs left after you cut them all away! LOL! Which one were you jumping the PD 210 or the Spectre 210 that you cut away originally? I'm glad to say that I wasn't the cause of this tension knot...haha...glad you are safe buddy. Are you going to be up there next weekend?

A lazy pull on a wingsuit can lead to the wings being partially open and asymmetrical, so you start turning under the canopy as it deploys. It can spin up fast. I have had a couple where I had my hands on the handles ready to pull when the canopy stopped spinning up and started to unwind. I reckoned I would cut away when the twists reached the top, or the canopy started diving.

It is important to get the arms in and the legs closed.

Ya ill be jumping next .weekend o was laughing my ass off when i read this..lol...i tried gettin the knots out, but no go.. when i cut away i couldnt believe it.lol..i need to do a check dive. So of your able to do that ,ill pay your way up..see ya this weekend..
Hey will you ask Alex if he got my dvd of my jump finished editing? Thanks

Jeez dude there aren't going to be any rental rigs left after you cut them all away! LOL! Which one were you jumping the PD 210 or the Spectre 210 that you cut away originally? I'm glad to say that I wasn't the cause of this tension knot...haha...glad you are safe buddy. Are you going to be up there next weekend?

A lazy pull on a wingsuit can lead to the wings being partially open and asymmetrical, so you start turning under the canopy as it deploys. It can spin up fast. ...

ALSo, it can happen on a non-wingsuit jump. If the pilot chute is not tossed into clean air but rather dropped into your burble, it will give the bag a chance to dance around. I noticed it when I started having too many openings that were off heading. I concentrated on giving the pilot chute a good throw and the problem went away.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

A lazy pull on a wingsuit can lead to the wings being partially open and asymmetrical, so you start turning under the canopy as it deploys. It can spin up fast. ...

ALSo, it can happen on a non-wingsuit jump. If the pilot chute is not tossed into clean air but rather dropped into your burble, it will give the bag a chance to dance around. I noticed it when I started having too many openings that were off heading. I concentrated on giving the pilot chute a good throw and the problem went away.

I am pretty sure that most line twists that are not caused by having a shoulder low are caused by: 1. the bag popping out of a tight container asymmetrically thus starting the spin. 2. Riser covers releasing at different times again starting the spin.
While the curved pin is fairly easy to pull it can take up to 10 pounds of pull/lift to get the bag clear of the container.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

A lazy pull on a wingsuit can lead to the wings being partially open and asymmetrical, so you start turning under the canopy as it deploys. It can spin up fast. I have had a couple where I had my hands on the handles ready to pull when the canopy stopped spinning up and started to unwind. I reckoned I would cut away when the twists reached the top, or the canopy started diving.

It is important to get the arms in and the legs closed.

Wrong. I pull from full flight regular basis.

Its important to have stable position for pull.

I had 2 cutaways in 3 jumps as well. Not on the same canopy...

First cutaway was my 2nd wing suit jump on a borrowed Sabre2 135. Lazy pull caused line twists up the wazoo.

Second cutaway was 2 days later. Fun camera jump and had a tension knot on my Stiletto 135. See here

Honestly, the first one really freaked me out. I've had 5 cutaways prior to this, but this one really messed me up. The 2nd cutaway was pretty routine and I actually felt better after that one.

Not really much advise to give. You did the right thing in both cases. Sounds like your 2nd one was somewhat like mine!!!

I have had 2 in 4500 jumps. My first looked just like your video on a stiletto 135 but I WAS A 2000 ft so I got rid of it alot quicker than you did. I would have chopped yours with in 5 seconds you were not ever getting control of that. My seconds was on a sameri 105 loaded heavy line twist as well packed by a packer.

Was just thinkin the same thing. Since about the 5th WS I've always pithched in flight and flew through the deployment. Especially on BASE jumps. I only have about 150 WS jumps though so . . .
If yer gonna be dumb, ya gotta be tough!!
Cuz stupid hurts

A-54266 - BASE#1374