jdthomas

finding suprises during a repack

To make this thread easier to find, in response to another thread.

Contribution:

After his first jump following a I&R a few years ago, a friend showed me his main, which was mostly white, that the rigger had stained by spilling coke or coffee onto a sizeable portion it. B|

Pretty big stain. The rigger denied it and there just wasn't anything (civilized) my friend could do about it.

He sold it and bought a new main and soon after a new rig. I think he couldn't stand not only the thought of his gear being bespoiled, but also wondering if there wasn't some other agent quietly eating away at the nylon.

For those who will wonder - yes, he disclosed to the buyers. ;)
"Even in a world where perfection is unattainable, there's still a difference between excellence and mediocrity." Gary73

Bullshit. What is the difference between a packing weight, temporary pin, or a cleenex left in the rig. The problem is all the same. The rigger wasn't doing his job properly. The jumper NEEDS to know this. It is his life. Give him the information and let him make his own decisions.

I think it should have been between you and the rigger....the onwer didn't need to know this. Now, depending on the riggers reaction...maybe then tell the owner, or not.

I think it should have been between you and the rigger....the onwer didn't need to know this. Now, depending on the riggers reaction...maybe then tell the owner, or not.

As a rigger who do you work for, the owner or the last rigger that packed. I won't withhold any information from the owner. He has a right to know about his gear.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

As a rigger who do you work for, the owner or the last rigger that packed. I won't withhold any information from the owner. He has a right to know about his gear.

Sparky

For the life of me I cannot understand why a rigger would NOT tell the owner. We're NOT working a rigger's Thin Blue Line here. If I found out my rigger hid something from me, it be the last time he ever touched any of my equipment...and I'd be very vocal in letting everyone know why.

If any of you are that type that you would not tell the owner please post your name and place of work and think about this:
If the guy takes it back to that rigger and that rigger screws something up to the point of the owner's injury or death...YOU would be as much to blame as the screwball rigger. If that doesn't bother you, please post your name and place of work.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I don't understand why it is not the owner's business? I strongly disagree with this. You are not badmouthing the other rigger by telling the owner about the Kleenex or anything else out of the ordinary. I would be quite pissed if something like that was kept secret from me due to some unwritten "rigger brotherhood" rules.

I have to agree with Sparky. I know I am a lowly Military rigger, but in the military world there is no doubt between someone’s feelings on their ability to NOT do their job properly, and the person who jumps the Rig........we have a saying... " I will be sure always!" You guys who jump my job, I hold your life in my hands.... A bunch of little mistakes adding up together is how most rigging disasters occur. If you ever get to go to a military Malfunction Review Board you would see that most tragedies are preventable by people being held to a HIGH standard. If you can’t be perfect you probably should not rig…… just my lowly 2 cents worth. I will shut up now. Good read though!!

Saw a GREAT one this last week. I was in a loft and they were packing a reserve that on inspection of the data card said something like "Noted 6 holes in canopy cell". Sure enough there were six holes in the canopies cell that the rigger did not patch. At least the rigger noted the defects found even if he did not fix the holes. :D

I couldn't stop laughing since they were debating writing on the repack card things like "Patched holes previous rigger found and did not fix" or other witty replies. :D

NICE!

How big were the holes?

Found a bunch of holes in this canopy a couple days ago.

Customer declined repair. :D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Saw a GREAT one this last week. I was in a loft and they were packing a reserve that on inspection of the data card said something like "Noted 6 holes in canopy cell". Sure enough there were six holes in the canopies cell that the rigger did not patch. At least the rigger noted the defects found even if he did not fix the holes. :D

I couldn't stop laughing since they were debating writing on the repack card things like "Patched holes previous rigger found and did not fix" or other witty replies. :D

The regs. require he list any defects he finds, they make not mentions of repairing said defects.

Sparky

(c) Each certificated parachute rigger who packs a parachute shall write, on the parachute packing record attached to the parachute, the date and place of the packing and a notation of any defects he finds on inspection. He shall sign that record with his name and the number of his certificate.

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The regs. require he list any defects he finds, they make not mentions of repairing said defects.

Sparky

(c) Each certificated parachute rigger who packs a parachute shall write, on the parachute packing record attached to the parachute, the date and place of the packing and a notation of any defects he finds on inspection. He shall sign that record with his name and the number of his certificate.

More over, the customer may well have been informed of said holes and opted to not have them dealt with, fir what ever reason.
If the rigger deems it is NON-air worthy they can refuse to pack it and state so on the card, cant they?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?