liftedtitan

How Scary Is This!?

I'd venture there have been at least a billion jumps in history. How many jumpers have ever impacted a lower flying plane?

several, in freefall or under canopy. Most of them ended with fatalities.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I'd venture there have been at least a billion jumps in history. How many jumpers have ever impacted a lower flying plane?

US recreational jump activity right now might be 3M/year. World wide, it might be 10 or 15? Military adds more, but many of those are low (like real low) static lines where you see the gophers on the ground.

so the billion isn't a certainty, and as said, there have been impacts.

Well... if you wanna just wait for the green light and GPS spot then this is what you get.
Proper spotting includes having a fucking look for aircraft in conflict EVERY time...
at least this is what I was taught.
If you choose to leave it up to the loadmaster to do this then this is your choice...
or you can choose to loadmaster yourself...
your choice.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

Well... if you wanna just wait for the green light and GPS spot then this is what you get.
Proper spotting includes having a fucking look for aircraft in conflict EVERY time...
at least this is what I was taught.
If you choose to leave it up to the loadmaster to do this then this is your choice...
or you can choose to loadmaster yourself...
your choice.

g.

How are you gonna spot a plane that even isn't there yet (like in this vid, the plane was passing by just when the skydiver was in freefall)?

Also, goodluck spotting on a twin turbo L-410 with 22 people on board waiting for you to quickly get your ass out the door..
"Dream as you'll live forever, live as you'll die today." James Dean

Also, goodluck spotting on a twin turbo L-410 with 22 people on board waiting for you to quickly get your ass out the door..

The idea is that if you are at the door you start the process of spotting before it's time to exit.
Owned by Remi #?

The idea is that if you are at the door you start the process of spotting before it's time to exit.

Exactly

One Skyvan I jump has instructions on the door....
"Check tandems hooked up + check spot"

But another aircaft (same DZ) conflicts with the message...
"Green light = open door & GO"

Spotting includes checking for aircraft in conflict.

As parachutists (except students) we are all responsible for our choices. If one of our choices is to allow someone else to open the door who doesn't consistently look out for the spot then so be it. Another choice could be to have a look for yourself on jump run before green light or power off... get yourself near the door... learn to spot... take over the spot...
.. or you could just leave it to someone else and take what comes.

Conflicting aircraft over DZ's is nothing new and something that has been a problem in skydiving for decades...

... so why don't we look anymore??
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

Its a pretty big sky.

No, it's not.

Dude, a lot of people on here are going to inflate the significance of events or risk because they are dorkzoners (internet skygods). I have never even come close to this type of situation and neither has anyone I know.

>I have never even come close to this type of situation and neither has anyone I know.

I have, twice. Once I was the one close to the other plane, the other I was in the plane that almost got hit. The sky is not always as big as it seems.

Of course, I'm just a dorkzoner instead of a real skydiver, so feel free to disregard any concerns expressed here.

>Of course, I'm just a dorkzoner instead of a real skydiver, so feel free to disregard any concerns expressed here.

No not necessarily. You've seen it happen, ok. Now if you're going to say that this happens to be a signifcant problem, I would say you're a dorkzoner.

Like I said, I've never seen it happen and no one else I know has seen it happen. Maybe they just have better traffic controllers at Perris/Elsinore? Sometimes I have to remember that all DZ's and their safety-culture are not created equal

isnt radoing between ground and pilot a standard procedure!? "bla-bla-bla, you may drop"!?

and i've seen planes underflying a whole load too, its not as if they wouldnt hear the conversation that is going on between ground and plane..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

Spotting the exit point and checking for aircraft are two different tasks.

Just some things to think about:

Where is an aircraft at the time we stop looking out, start our climb out, exit, do some freefall and open our parachute to become a hazard?
Does everybody check that far away? Can we even look at these places in the sky?

I bet that the 180° sector opposite the door gets almost never checked.

>and i've seen planes underflying a whole load too, its not as if they
>wouldnt hear the conversation that is going on between ground and
>plane..

Often they will not, if they're not on the same frequency.

>I bet that the 180° sector opposite the door gets almost never checked.

Correct, and that's a problem. You have to lean out to look under the plane, in a 45 degree cone.

Correct, and that's a problem. You have to lean out to look under the plane, in a 45 degree cone.

Exactly, so jump f$%k out and PRAY that you don't get struck by a plane. That's what I'm thinking every jump. Sometimes people actually designate me as "OTTER SPOTTER" (we coined the term :-)) on the jump. I just fly outside the formation and make sure to alert the guys if any planes are closing in on us.