MikeFB2764

Drop Zone Map Revisited

Some time ago I posted a link to a DZ Map project that I was working on (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2150435). Now that mapping technology, specifically satellite imagery, has improved, I have revisted this project.

You can check out the revised DZ Map at: http://aerialdynamics.com/dzmap/ .

I have switched mapping providers from Google Maps to Virtual Earth. While the mapping functionality between the two is similar, Virtual Earth seems to have better satellite imagery. Granted, I havent confirmed this with all of the DZs, but the few that I have, it was the case.

Disclaimer: The data that I am using is old and incomplete. This project is more of a proof of concept and will be improved on.

I look forward to your feedback.

Mike

They're kinda right on top of each other. Now that I look at it again, one of them should probably be Skydive Tampa Bay.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I'm not sure where you are getting your dropzone information from but Waynesville Sport Parachute Center in Ohio hasn't been around for a few years at least (if not longer...)

Although they might still do soaring at that airport...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I could see payment options for the DZ being listed, sure. I need to figure out the scope of data that would be listed and more importantly, who would maintain it.

Could you highlight which DZ's are accepting Skyride Certificates?

THAT would be helpful.

Great idea, turtle.

TripleF

You're right. Like I mentioned, this data is not accurate. I used a listing that I came across about 2 years ago (from the first cut of this map).

This data is by no means a comprehensive source of DZ information. It is just a means of putting together a proof of concept.

When and if, this project gets off the ground, a more comprehensive source of data will be put together.

Thanks,

Mike

I'm not sure where you are getting your dropzone information from but Waynesville Sport Parachute Center in Ohio hasn't been around for a few years at least (if not longer...)

Although they might still do soaring at that airport...

Aren't they links to 2 different pictures?
one in front of manifest and one in front of city hall?

I just hovered over the marks and saw the words, I didn't open any pictures.

and you said that like we didn't deserve to be listed twice!

He can list it a hundred times, doesn't make a difference to me. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Normiss, Skymama,

What browsers are you using. I am not seeing the same results. I see one listing for Z-hills and one for Skydive Tampa.

Thanks,

Mike

Aren't they links to 2 different pictures?
one in front of manifest and one in front of city hall?

and you said that like we didn't deserve to be listed twice!;)

You're right. Like I mentioned, this data is not accurate.

Well.. darnnit it should be accurate... seriously man... j/k.

I understand... actually I think its pretty cool... and the virtual earth system is really nice (it seems to be much more current then the google earth images in my area... and I really like the "birds eye" view...)
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...