MikeFB2764

Drop Zone Map

In one of the previous threads (http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2144023; there was some question about the largest cluster of DZs.

I put together a map of all of the DZs in the US to get an idea of what kind of coverage the US and each state has. The map is located at:

http://aerialdynamics.com/dzmap/

This map uses google mapping technology, so you have the ability to zoom in and scroll on the map. Also, you can switch to a satellite view of the map for photos (some of the rural areas do not have hi-res images).

I gathered what data I could find. This is by no means a complete or accurate set of data! Sorry if anything is missing or inaccurate. This is just a sample page.

Check it out when you have a chance.

-Mike

Looks like you did a good job. Just thought I'd give you an fyi if you want to keep adding to it. You missed my wonderful DZ. Skydive Delamarva, that's in Laurel, DE.

Sorry about that! Like I mention, I gathered what data I could, just to see how this concept would work. Unfortunately there are some DZs missing.

I don't know if there is an need for a site like this, but if there is enough interest, I can enhance it and make the data more accurate.

Thanks,

Mike

Very nice!

That would be great for road trip planning.

Perhaps a link to the DZ website would be enough to give all the additional info a person would desire without too much burden.

The Waynesville DZ in Ohio is no more, I think.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Very nice!

That would be great for road trip planning.

Perhaps a link to the DZ website would be enough to give all the additional info a person would desire without too much burden.

The Waynesville DZ in Ohio is no more, I think.

Adreniline Air Skydiving in Santa Rosa, CA is no more as well.

Made a couple of updates to the web page. Nothing major. I added functionality so that you can select a state and the map will zoom to that state.

The page is at: http://aerialdynamics.com/dzmap/

Again, the DZ data is not complete or accurate. I will try to figure out how to get that data updated. Any ideas?

Also, there seems to be a problem with Firefox on the initial load. If you get a message about a script loading slow, just click continue. I am looking into this.

-Mike

So...after a couple of hundred hits on the page, what the consensus? Is this useful? Should I enhance it? Continue to develop it?

Your thoughts are appreciated.

-Mike

It'd be really useful to make the popup dz names link to their homepages.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

[reply
It'd be really useful to make the popup dz names link to their homepages.

Yup, there definitely needs to be more DZ information on the site.

What would be nice would be to allow the DZs maintain their own data. The question is would DZ owners be interested in this?

I use something similiar on a webforum @ work. It runs a query against the db for things like - last log on, last post etc...
- It runs thru google as well. If you would like I could send you the code. We could easily develop a db to include pics,clickies whatever.
This is the one @ work
www.buckmasters.com/forum click on member maps in upper right corner. You may have to register. PM me if you would like a temp id. to check it out.

BSBD
Home of the Alabama Gang