RkyMtnHigh

Prescription Refill Charge

This is a first for me...

I received a bill in the mail today from a doc's office with a fee of $10 for calling in a prescription refill to the local pharmacy:S. It wasn't a situation of them needing to expedite the refill phone call or make any changes..nothing out of routine practice. It's just Cataflam, an anti-inflammatory, not a critical care product.

Has anyone else been charged for a doc's office to make a phone call to a pharmacy?

I wonder if it is legal to do that - geez, that isn't something that I have ever heard of.:S

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Refer to the original post..the doc's office made the call. It doesn't state that the doc himself made the call.

I just noticed a marketing flyer in the envelope which states:

"Dear Patient,
To better serve you we have created a package to provide services not addressed under your insurance. We are delighted to provide the following services at a minimal charge to you:

1. coping, faxing, and mailing of your medical records (typical cost to you: $50)
2. authorization forms, faxing, mailing of your prescriptions (typical cost to you: $10 per month)
3. disability forms, work related forms, school forms (typical cost to you: $35-$75)

We are offering our patients an annual fee of ONLY $75 to cover all of these services! Please keep in mind that if you choose not to take advantage of this special offer, you will be responsible for the individual costs/fees for these services.

Thank you"

Holy cow! Talk about MARKETING!!! They send an invoice for $10 for calling in a script refill and then a marketing letter for an annual fee of $75 for future phone calls or paperwork.

Hmmmmmmmm....:S

I wonder if it is legal to do that - geez, that isn't something that I have ever heard of.:S

Same here, what the fuck?!?

So...I go to the office to get the script in person and pay a $25 copay each month, OR pay the $10/month fee for the office calling in the script refill, OR pay an annual fee of $75 for these admin services.:S

I've never heard of it. I'd call and complain about it and if the charge wasn't removed, change docs.

Since I work for the hospital system, I'm planning to call some of my Internal Med docs on staff and ask if it is a local "trend". If not, I'll change docs. But then again, he'd charge me $50 for a copy of my medical records for the new doc:S

You should send them a charge for every minute past your appointment time that you spent waiting in the waiting room

Only if you start showing up at least 15-20 minutes prior to your appointment time to fill out any needed paperwork.

You mean you don't do that allready? I know I do
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

You should send them a charge for every minute past your appointment time that you spent waiting in the waiting room

No shit! The last two times I was between 45 minutes to an hour past my appointment time before I got called back to the room, then waited an additional 15+ before the doc came in.

I inquired about the scheduling with the staff the last time, and they said that they double book patients since so many are either late due to traffic or work or cancel and reschedule. I suppose the days I went, everyone decided to make it to their scheduled appointment time. Makes me think of standing in the express lane with 10 items or less with the expectation you'll get through the grocery store quicker and someone in front not only has a lot more than 10 items, but they also need a price check!:P

I used to have a doctor who would book his own appointments. It was awesome I never waited longer than 15 minutes. One time I just sat in the chair as I was called in. I miss that doc, but that is an hour drive away.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I just send the doc's a bill for not doing their job!!! And if they don't pay up, I turn them over to a collection agency!!
You would be surprised how fast they get their act together!!! It works!!! Been there, done that!B|
Arizona only has two seasons, Hot and HOTTER!

Only if you start showing up at least 15-20 minutes prior to your appointment time to fill out any needed paperwork.

You mean you don't do that already? I know I do

You're one of the few. Our office has a 20 minute late policy. If you sign in 20 minutes or later after your appt time then it is up to the doc if they decide to see you or not. Even signing in on time means that it will be at least 20 minutes til you get to the room after being triaged by the nurse in the morning. If I have my 830 pt in the room by 845 I am ecstatic. Most of my pts sign in between 5-15 AFTER their slated appt time.

Also remember to keep in mind that schedules are planned but are not always able to be kept. Medicine rarely follows such nice timetables. Sick people have a way of staying one step ahead of you. A slot booked for a 15 minute med check or sick visit can easily become more if you get hit with the dreaded "oh by the way doc, i've been shitting blood for three weeks" as you are trying to step out of the door.
I limit my pts to their top 2-3 complaints for each visit in an attempt to keep my schedule throughout the day. Any more than that and trying to care for them becomes quickly overwhelming.

Or you could have what happened to me the other day when someone dropped by for a med refill and ended up having a seizure in the middle of the clinic. Needless to say that set me back as well.

Just a look from the other side of the looking glass.

"Also remember to keep in mind that schedules are planned but are not always able to be kept. Medicine rarely follows such nice timetables. Sick people have a way of staying one step ahead of you"

I work in urgent care and it amazes me the people that come in to the urgent care for evaluation....I send at least one out a day for evaluation in the ER as they are not people to be evaluated in "urgent care." Even with that there are days when I have 4-5 people getting IV's and meds IV.....not exactly a way to move patients' through in a timely manner. I find that it is the "by the ways" that nail you. Hey doc or midlevel provider, I know I am here for this, but I also have this issue, that issue and then there is this one. I limit it to one major (ok, maybe two) and one minor - being in urgent care helps with that a little bit....not much, but a little.:)

DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~

I appreciate your input as well as your role in healthcare, Cindy, but the doc I'm referring to is Internal Medicine, not Urgent Care or Emergency Dept, therefore his office has a bit more control over scheduling than you guys have with walk-ins and true Emergency patients.

Same here, what the fuck?!?

So...I go to the office to get the script in person and pay a $25 copay each month, OR pay the $10/month fee for the office calling in the script refill, OR pay an annual fee of $75 for these admin services.:S

I would go in and pick up the files in person (no mailing fee--well, if they'd actually give them to you)--and then I'd use the opportunity to explain that they had just lost my business. Talk about offensive. Those fees are ridiculous.
TPM Sister #102

I appreciate your input as well as your role in healthcare, Cindy, but the doc I'm referring to is Internal Medicine, not Urgent Care or Emergency Dept, therefore his office has a bit more control over scheduling than you guys have with walk-ins and true Emergency patients.

You are right, they are, but ...... I have also done rotations through there and the same kind of things happen -
it is frustrating to wait that long...happens every time I go to my pmd......2 hours after appt time I finally get in.:S. Now I schedule first thing in the morning or first thing after lunch.....I get in quicker that way.......maybe you could too? Just a thought.
DPH # 2

Just a look from the other side of the looking glass.

I always find it amusing that people are so quick to be seen "on time" but yet are so demanding with the time that they get.

Annual exam with "sexual disfunction" problems.... yeah - like that can be addressed in 15min. So, do you tell that person "Sorry Ms. Smith, but we can no longer talk about that. I have a 3:45 and you're appt was only for such and such" And some docs do - but then they get labeled as cold and uncaring. and how many people would be firing out complaints about that!

Or a "quick OB visit" - should be able to see in 5min... unless you cant find the heartbeat or she might be leaking some fluid or she has a LIST of questions about epidurals, how many people can be in the delivery, what medicines can she take, or she's crying and uncomfortable with "normal discomforts" of pregnancy or any situation that extend that visit....

Or...... how about I have to sit on labor and delivery watching a babe's heartbeat trying to decide on whether or not to do a c-section.... "do I cut her so that my clinic patients dont get all bent out of shape" or do I just sit here and watch the babies heartbeat and either have them wait / reschedule.

Seriously people. Its not that the doctor is uncaring or not valuing your time when he/she is late. It's that YOU are not the ONLY patient. It's a balancing act. And some days are good... other days you just have to focus on the important priorities ie life of the baby, right decisions for labor management, humane treatment of PEOPLE.... not always "patients" or "customers" but PEOPLE and even if that means that the schedule isn't strictly adhered to.

I do this job.... I enjoy this life.... because I help PEOPLE.

As far as the complaint about calling in the scripts. I don't know what to think about that. We don't do that in my clinic. At least my nurse doesn't charge for it.... but if some group does, I would want to know the situations requiring that. (and for the record.... I do get a bit annoyed when I'm on call and I get a call at 1:30 in the morning because some foolish twit just realized that yesterday she took her last birth control pill and needs refills! Like she didn't know a week ago that she was going to run out?! or she couldn't wait until the clinic - or at least more pharmacies - were open.)

OK... enough of a rant.

Does your office charge for making a prescription Refill call to a pharmacy? Just checking to see if this is a nationwide trend.

As far as the complaint about calling in the scripts. I don't know what to think about that. We don't do that in my clinic. At least my nurse doesn't charge for it.... but if some group does, I would want to know the situations requiring that.