vertigofreefly

200 Jump Wonders

How do you feel about the 200 jump wonders in our sport! They start skydiving buy all the gear, find out how difficult the learning process can be then leave and go and find something else in there lives.
The thing I find quite upsetting is that you become friends with these people and give them coaching and advice that you have learnt over many years then they simply disappear has though you are worthless.
Does anybody have this feeling?

Nope - For the 1 that stays and learns and starts to 'get it', it's worth losing the other 89 that leave in their first couple years. and the other 10 that 'kind of' stay but don't do much - in fact, these are sometimes the most 'fun' to jump with even when the jumps are an air bath.

It's normal, expect it. It's worth it.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I honestly cant believe the amount of insults that have been thrown my way since I posted this topic so I am going to reply to all of you at once.

· I am not a prema donna I can last as long as any man.
· I am not a loser 6th place is not last.
· What’s a pie hole, Is that an Americanism?

Please stop this now, take a breath and relax.

(Haven't yet read others' responses)

They start skydiving buy all the gear, find out how difficult the learning process can be then leave and go and find something else in there lives.

You're assuming quite a lot, here. I suppose I fall into the "200-jump wonder" category, though I have a bit more jumps than that.

I still have my gear. Not worth it to sell. And not "done skydiving" necessarily, but...

It's one of those things. I certainly didn't "leave" b/c of any "difficult learning process".:S I was a natural in freefall (if I do say so myself:P). It's like anything else--I did my first jump not long after my 20th birthday. After I graduated AFF I met Billy (he had about 3,500 jumps at the time. Now has close to 5,000). We moved in together. I graduated college. We bought a house. And life started moving SUPER fast. SUPER fun! But, fast! Too fast to spend all my free time at the DZ like I had been.

Skydiving requires commitment to stay current. There's plenty of mornings I've woken up and felt like skydiving, but when it's been so many months since my last jump, it becomes more difficult to rationalize. I'm all about safety. It's not safe jumping sporadically.

And since we have several other expensive hobbies it's just like, "OK, I'm done with that for now". I'm only 27. I doubt I'm gone forever. But, it's been a year since I've jumped. And in that year I've done a lot of traveling, kayaking, deep-sea fishing, riding the Harley, playing with my furry angels, and lots more.

So....you know if you don't want to be my friend b/c of that, I'm not sweatin' it. No offense. But life is too good to worry about how long it, relationships, or anything else will last. If something's good (like a friendship), I say enjoy it while you can. Plan for the worst. Hope for the best.

:)
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I haven't been in the sport very long, but I've been on the DZ nearly every day since I started (and I miss it on those rare days when obligation takes me elswhere). So I've seen a good number of people enter and shortly thereafter exit the sport, for any number of reasons that don't typcially satisfy (even when they do seem reasonable).

I think the hardest part of folks going MIA is meeting people you actually like, maybe spend a little great time with, and then they're gone when you'd perhaps hoped they'd be one of the few people you could share a passion with. It seems to me that most of us risk our lives because we love to skydive, and few people feel the same. Any decent relationship, of course, requires people relate to one another; and if skydiving is a major factor in your life, then so it must be to those around you.

Then, too, if we identify with skydiving and someone rejects the sport, then ego might move us to take it as a personal affront, which tends to ache. [:/]

Fortunately, we can jump and cheer up. :)

I honestly cant believe the amount of insults that have been thrown my way since I posted this topic so I am going to reply to all of you at once.

· I am not a prema donna I can last as long as any man.
· I am not a loser 6th place is not last.
· What’s a pie hole, Is that an Americanism?

Please stop this now, take a breath and relax.

I suspect the real reason they keep leaving, is that you won't go ATM. :o:D:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Okay, I have read all the posts, and I must say that it all sounds pretty depressing. I mean, I started skydiving and really found whatever it was that I was looking for. And to hear what experienced people might be thinking is kind of dis-satisfying. But I can say that I feel like I have developed relationships at the DZ, whether it was an instructor telling me not to do anything stupid, or another fun jumper to BS with. I guess I should disregard this whole post, b/c I know for a fact (unless something really f-ed up happens) that I will continue to skydive and learn from people that have been in my shoes. But for the most part with my short-lived experience with skydiving, any time I had a newbie question, I always have gotten what I feel to be sincere and honest answers. I can't really say that anyone has turned their back on me(not yet anyway), and I truly appreciate what all the experienced people have told me or shown me, it makes it worthwhile. And if someone did turn their back on me b/c they have more jumps, I wouldn't think very highly of that person, becasuse after all, they were in my shoes once, and it is a shame to see people like that in a sport like this... That is all, I am done ranting..

B|

Want some cheese for your whine???:ph34r:

Streaker

I love that quote......I use it all of the time!

I am one of those low timers ready to prove vertigo wrong:P:P:P I will continue to stick around to cause as much misery as possible.:D:D:D
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

How do you feel about the 200 jump wonders in our sport! They start skydiving buy all the gear, find out how difficult the learning process can be then leave and go and find something else in there lives.
The thing I find quite upsetting is that you become friends with these people and give them coaching and advice that you have learnt over many years then they simply disappear has though you are worthless.
Does anybody have this feeling?

· Only talk to and become friends with people who are quite experienced.

I would like to no if it is just me that has this feeling.

What's your incentive to get more than 200 jumps if nobody will talk to you until you've been in the sport long enough to become bitter?
I hope your not very serious about this.

Geez....I NEVER want to be standing anywhere near a dartboard when you guys play....you are so far off-target that even the bartender is in danger.

Legitimate question, so what's the beef?

"200 jump wonder" is only a euphemism.

You've never felt anything other than joy when someone leaves the sport?

L.O. is one of the very few who "get it".

You guys....and ladies.:S

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I thought you smelled nice. did I miss something?

And I didn't jump with you because you are always working!

Vint

excuses....excuses .....excuses....Miss you guys!
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

OK guys, let me try and explain what I meant in the original post, if you stay in skydiving long enough you will get to see people who start then after a while if the sport is not for them they fade away and do something else with there lives.
The statement “Only talk to and become friends with people who are quite experienced” was meant to be ironic. I am not saying that we should not talk, help and bring along newbie skydivers it’s just that when the regularity of this event happens it becomes quite upsetting when people that you thought were your friends go.

I wouldn't bother to feel too much about that if I were you.

People go on to do other things. I'm sure it's not you, it's them. I don't think it's you who's driving people away from our sport.

;)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?