ridestrong

Falling out of your rig? Ever heard of this?

Has anyone ever been reported as falling through or out of their rig from the shoulder straps coming over the shoulders? Such as having a deployment while in a tracking dive, diving head-down, or in a wing suit etc... Assuming that the chest strap is at least routed correctly. Anyone ever heard of this?
*I am not afraid of dying... I am afraid of missing life.*
----Disclaimer: I don't know shit about skydiving.----

Thanks for the link, I read through it... Didn't see much significant discussion on this specific topic tho. I'm wondering if this has ever actually been reported as happening during an actual skydive?

I have broad shoulders/chest/upper back and a narrow waist, making it particularly scary to think what would happen if the shoulder straps slid over my shoulders. I always cinch my chest strap extra tight as I feel it keeps the shoulder straps closer to mid-line. Next time I suit up I will see if I can slide the rig off over my shoulders like in the video.

But has anyone ever heard of this happening during a skydive?

There is a poster on here that had her rig move up to her elbows during a HD jump and now tightens her chest strap tighter. She may see this and post.

I would be interested in hearing her account of it. 5 of us were recently doing a mock-up jump when one of the instructors (who was fun jumping with us) noticed one of the other jumpers in our group had his chest strap simply run through the buckle and into the elastic holder, and not through the locking buckle.

There is a poster on here that had her rig move up to her elbows during a HD jump and now tightens her chest strap tighter. She may see this and post.

I would be interested in hearing her account of it. 5 of us were recently doing a mock-up jump when one of the instructors (who was fun jumping with us) noticed one of the other jumpers in our group had his chest strap simply run through the buckle and into the elastic holder, and not through the locking buckle.

I noticed a chest strap on a new jumper routed the same way at 8k in the plane:S. I pulled her chest strap out and told her " You could have just died on this jump!" just so it would sink into her mind.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Sounds like you've been reading the Sad news for tandem thread and the first skydiving fatality this year that happened in FL...

A buddy and I were out for a few beers tonight and started talking about this same subject. The unfortunate woman in OH with the mindless TI, and the rush to be a wingsuiter kid in FL. Both situations point to lack of attention to detail, and the overall sense of complacency that comes with X amount of jumps.

My .02 is to recognize that each jump could be your last, so you should do everything you possibly can to defeat that chance. Check your chest strap, emergency handles, and leg straps and other gear methodically and in a consistent manner so you never miss a step, and so that you can quickly recognize a potential problem with your gear.

In other words stay frosty, complacency kills.
ZC OG

Has anyone ever been reported as falling through or out of their rig from the shoulder straps coming over the shoulders? Such as having a deployment while in a tracking dive, diving head-down, or in a wing suit etc... Assuming that the chest strap is at least routed correctly. Anyone ever heard of this?

Here's a dry run on the ground
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5979072227420503131#

Some speed skydivers have reported that their rig tends to pull off their shoulders in a high speed head down maneuver.

Search for Cadiz to find the thread on a fatality of that type, but she did not fasten her chest strap.

See also
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6075652443880467365#
Can you fall out of a properly fastened harness?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I have made this stupid mistake before and hope i never do it again!
I was rushed on a jump a few months ago.... Caught it at about 7k. The only problem is that I was in a sitfly and I noticed my rig was getting really loose on my back. Looked dow and say my chest strap was looser than normal. Rolled onto my back and tried to tighten the strap when I saw it was just looped thru te buckle and secured by the elastic strap. Tried to reroute it but was running outta altitude so i wrapped left hand around it as tight as I could grabbed other half of chest strap...slowed sown as much as possible and dumped. Was pretty uneventful after that and me holding it was enough pressure to keep it secure.
Problem was if I had not noticed it and continued with my jump.... who knows what would of happened.... I dont normally sitfly either...wierd how that is how I noticed it.

Scared the shit outta myself and I hope I am not stupid enough to let this happen to me again.
Team Dirty Sanchez #455,
Muff Brother #4197,
SCR #14847, DPH -8,
Dude #5150

This happened to me as well. I rushed putting my gear on 'all by myself' as I was freshly off instruction. I wanted to be like the others...ready quick and confident. Luckily, an experienced jumper, working for PD now, pointed it out to me on the ground. I was sub-30 jumps back then, renting those big ass student rigs. I could have died...shit!

I don't know about how others feel but falling out of a harness is on the top of my list of gear check because it can happen so easily--> cheststrap, cheststrap, cheststrap!

Using my custom fitted Mirage G4, I can get out of the rig via the shoulders as in the video posted above, as well as if I fold in half and slip out the ass area of the rig (This might happen if you leg straps slid to your knees during a sit, then you had opening shock). All this as stated, can be done from a fully tightened, custom fit (for me) rig.

If anyone is interested, I can probably work up a quick video. It's really not that difficult. Add a 120mph wind and a few G's of a canopy deploying and it would happen in a second.

*As an observation to the video posted...It looks like the neck area on that rig is very wide, maybe built for someone with very broad shoulders? Nonetheless, mine is not at all wide, and I can get out.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Just for clarification

From the article… Can you fall out of a properly fastened harness? by Jan Meyer

“Little bungy cross connector between leg straps
That bungy and binding tape can easily break during a premature opening if you were in a sitfly position. The fact that jumpers have these is indicative that we are already noticing that we are falling out of our rigs.“

It's my understanding that the bungy keeps the leg straps from sliding down to your knees. Thus, not putting you into a situation where the harness can slide off if you get a premature deployment in a sitfly position?? Are these modifications/bungys effective or are they giving us a false sense of security?
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Interesting video but CLEARLY that is not a properly fitting harness. The shoulders are FAR too wide and the back of the yoke hangs half way down his back.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Not to mention that there's no main in the tray allowing additional flexibility. I'm gonna try to upload something with a fully packed rig, and I'll record both scenarios.

The yoke I pointed out earlier....that cannot be a custom rig.

Odd though, mine is also a Mirage. I wonder if the articulation plays a role. Mine is fully articulated, can anyone do this on a non articulated rig, or more specifically a Mirage?
"When once you have tasted flight..."

Just for clarification

From the article… Can you fall out of a properly fastened harness? by Jan Meyer

“Little bungy cross connector between leg straps
That bungy and binding tape can easily break during a premature opening if you were in a sitfly position. The fact that jumpers have these is indicative that we are already noticing that we are falling out of our rigs.“

It's my understanding that the bungy keeps the leg straps from sliding down to your knees. Thus, not putting you into a situation where the harness can slide off if you get a premature deployment in a sitfly position?? Are these modifications/bungys effective or are they giving us a false sense of security?

I think they are a false sense of security. If someone has a main premee in a sitfly position the little bungy thing will most likely break or pull through the binding tape keeper and allow the leg straps to move to the knees.
The knots on most of the bungy things are small enough to pull through the binding tape keeper.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Interesting video but CLEARLY that is not a properly fitting harness. The shoulders are FAR too wide and the back of the yoke hangs half way down his back.

Well the 3 rings are positioned properly. The yoke 'cut' is different on different rigs.
Reflex has a high yoke, so high in fact helmets brush against the earlier models.
Racers have a low yoke, compared to others.
That was a Mirage.
People do buy used rigs that may not fit exactly as on the one it was built for.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Not to mention that there's no main in the tray allowing additional flexibility. I'm gonna try to upload something with a fully packed rig, and I'll record both scenarios.

The yoke I pointed out earlier....that cannot be a custom rig.

Odd though, mine is also a Mirage. I wonder if the articulation plays a role. Mine is fully articulated, can anyone do this on a non articulated rig, or more specifically a Mirage?

I was able to get out of my fully packed Racer that was custom built for me.
The grippers on my jumpsuit provided some resistance, but I could move the harness without extending any straps and get out the back.
Once I put on the extra strap - no more fall out. I tried this on the ground if that was not obvious.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Are these modifications/bungys effective or are they giving us a false sense of security?

I think they help, but like Jan said, a hard enough opening and that little bungie will fail. It's funny that our rigs require those add ons now to make them stay where they should. I'm thinking of adding a saddle strap and a clip on belly band. :)

I just tried this with my rig. I was unable to "fall out head down" with a properly routed chest strap, but even with my bungy connected by a single line and knots as it was set, I was able to fall out in a sit fly position.

I looped the bungy so that it was tighter and in a continuous circle through the connectors and was unable to get myself out of my harness.

Perhaps that is a better option than the single line connector as it eliminates the possibilty of the bungy knots pulling through in the event of a premature opening. Also, wouldn't the continuous loop provide for a higher breaking strength?
There is an art, or rather a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning to throw yourself at the ground and miss. Pick a nice day, and try it. - Douglas Adams