dropdeded

Snow Chains

So this will be our first winter in the mountains and work will be no problem for me, but we are trying to find out what the best option is for my wife's commute. She will need to get out of our area in the snow , then spend all day driving where theres no snow. We figure chains will be a pain in the ass and with minimal snow miles and lots of dry road driving studded tires arent practical. She drives an 07 Honda Civic (I think:$).

Anyone tried these things??

http://www.spikes-spiders.com/

Thanks
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Those look interesting. Having used chains many times, yes they are a huge PITA. I always take along a hydraulic jack, coveralls, and a 12" square of 3/4" plywood to use under the jack on soft surfaces.

The only alternative I'd had seen before is that European invention that is available for commercial trucks. It is a disk with lengths of chains attached to the perimeter that spins and is lowered down from the the chassis until the spinning chains get thrown under the drive wheels. I don't recall what it is called, but it is approved as an alternative to chains here in Colorado.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Those look interesting. Having used chains many times, yes they are a huge PITA. I always take along a hydraulic jack, coveralls, and a 12" square of 3/4" plywood to use under the jack on soft surfaces.

The only alternative I'd had seen before is that European invention that is available for commercial trucks. It is a disk with lengths of chains attached to the perimeter that spins and is lowered down from the the chassis until the spinning chains get thrown under the drive wheels. I don't recall what it is called, but it is approved as an alternative to chains here in Colorado.

I just got a shift change at work to a station in Frazier Park Ca. Its at the top of the Grapvine on I-5 and my ambulance has some sort of "automatic" chain instalation deally. I've driven it before and hear the chains rattling around under ther but havent actually used it yet. We also have a few 4X4 units, those'll be fun.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

I just got a shift change at work to a station in Frazier Park Ca. Its at the top of the Grapvine on I-5 and my ambulance has some sort of "automatic" chain instalation deally. I've driven it before and hear the chains rattling around under ther but havent actually used it yet. We also have a few 4X4 units, those'll be fun.

That sounds like it. About a year ago I found the website of the mfgr, but today I can't find it. The disc is mounted on a vertical axis inboard of the drive wheels. When not in use it is retracted upward, so the lengths of chain would just be hanging there rattling around. When engaged, the disc lowers toward the ground and spins, throwing the ends of the chains out horizontally, causing them to get under the drive tires.

IIRC a pair of these units cost about $1500, and required the kind of space for installation that only large trucks would have.
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

That sounds like it. About a year ago I found the website of the mfgr, but today I can't find it. The disc is mounted on a vertical axis inboard of the drive wheels. When not in use it is retracted upward, so the lengths of chain would just be hanging there rattling around. When engaged, the disc lowers toward the ground and spins, throwing the ends of the chains out horizontally, causing them to get under the drive tires.

IIRC a pair of these units cost about $1500, and required the kind of space for installation that only large trucks would have.

Yeah, I used to drive busses that had those things on them. When they worked, they were better then just tires, but not as good as chanis. They have a tendancy to get iced up and stop working correctly and from time to time would make a terrible racket. They require a lot of maintenence to work at all.

Chains are a huge pain in the ass...I would still look at getting good, studded snow tires for most driving (theyu aren't soo bad on dry pavement...), and using chains as only a 'last resot' You're looking at around 20 minutes chain up and chain down time every time you have to use 'em.

Chains are a pain in the ass. Just get studded tires and if her car is a front wheel drive she will be just fine. Or trade her car in for a subaru....she will never have to worry about chains or studs.....
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Chains are a pain in the ass. Just get studded tires and if her car is a front wheel drive she will be just fine. Or trade her car in for a subaru....she will never have to worry about chains or studs.....

There are times/places in Colorado where chains or 4WD are mandatory:

http://www.state.co.us/gov_dir/cdps/chainlaw.htm

I am not going to get into a debate about chains...All I am saying is for overall winter driving studs work just fine. 90% of the time when there are restrictions it is chains and or snow tires.
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

Yeah, I used to drive busses that had those things on them. When they worked, they were better then just tires, but not as good as chanis. They have a tendancy to get iced up and stop working correctly and from time to time would make a terrible racket. They require a lot of maintenence to work at all.

I can't recall the mfgr., I have the literature at work. I've installed and replaced a few of these units (there's really no repairing them). I can vouch for the above info being correct...they're better than nothing but in the conditions for which they're intended, they're not that effective. They are extremely high maintenance and fail on a somewhat regular basis. The disc makes contact with the inside sidewall of the tire, causing the chains to spin...basically just throws a small chain under the tire momentarily but repetitively.

The major drawback is that they are air-powered, requiring a relatively high volume air compressor. Snow is cold and wet....air doesn't like cold and wet. I saw one set that locked in the "applied" position, when the airline froze and by the time it got to my garage, it had torn-up the inside tires. Space-wise, you could probably adapt a set to work on a pickup and maybe some of the larger SUVs but it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

One thing that most fail to consider is that what helps you to "go", won't necessarily help you to STOP! The rotary chains fail miserably here, as does 4 wheel drive. Most often....good tires, sufficient weight on ALL wheels and a little common sense driving, will get you there and back safely...even in the nasty stuff. Remember that with front wheel drive, if you lose drive traction....you lose your steering too. It's like jumping without a reserve.
"T'was ever thus."

:)
The idea is primo, really but I don't see perfection as a possibility. Some of the mfgr. claims are based on theory, I'm afraid....particularly the "reduced stopping distance" ones. The chains are flung under the wheels by the disc, which is rotated by the tire. Under laboratory conditions, maybe but in reality, on hard ice....a chain can become a skate, real quick! If the wheel stops turning, the chains stop too. In some cases, rubber is better than steel. Also, these rotary chains don't put as much chain surface under the tire, as the fitted chains do.

I'd argue with the reliability claims but in all fairness, the ones I know were often used off-road and likely abused terribly. There's no way to "driver-proof" anything....especially multi-driver "fleet" vehicles.
"T'was ever thus."

I'm from Switzerland and with good winter tires you usually need your snow chains just when you get stuck and that didn't happen more than twice a year to me. And after putting them on a couple times you can do it in 2 min. so it's not perfect but cheap and effective.