streaker

Bird Stories

:)
We've noticed a pair of eagles that soar over the south end of the airport here at Skydive Superior the past month or so.

While under canopy yesterday I noticed one of them flying about 100 feet below me. What a beautiful sight!! (Glad he wasn't hungry).

Anyone have any bird stories???

Streaker

B|
Have a yippee ki ya day!

People always ask me if you can hit a bird skydiving - I have no idea where people come up with this stuff :S

I tell them, no, birds don't normally fly too high - usually we're already under canopy when we see them.

A few weeks ago, we had the door of the jump plane open, and a large white gull of some sort went flapping by at 7,000 feet :o I guess I can't really tell people they don't go high anymore.

We jump close to the mountains, and one close mountain is a fourteener (14,000 feet). I guess probably some bird was coming down from the mountain along with the downsloping winds.

Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

A few years ago I was jumping at Finger Lakes in New York. I was under canopy on final. As I was descending, about 50 feet ahead of me was a Red Tailed hawk. He was maintaining altitude in the wind. I, of course, was not. But for that few seconds, the bird and I were sharing the same hunk of air. It was one of the coolest feelings I've ever had under canopy.

Peace,
-Jeff.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving