CornishChris

Pointless theoretical question

I have been mulling over a theoretical question recently which is pretty pointless. Even discussed it with the wife.

Assume you are on a commercial flight on a skydiving trip with your rig as hand luggage. If something was to go wrong with the plane and it started to go down, either in some level of control or not, would you be justified in putting your rig on and taking your chances out of one of the emergency exits?

Bear in mind you might put the plane in more jeopardy by exiting. What about the exit itself, how would you survive that? In my theoretical world I am flying from the UK to Spain so the majority of it is over land. When would it be acceptable and when would you be putting too much risk onto the other passengers? Would you ven make it out the door without being mobbed by others?

Despite the numerous above questions I have given just too options - essentially 'Should I stay or I go?'

Thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

If the plane is going down, and you take your rig out . . . you might likely be the first one to die . . . first of all - I'd probably take from you.:D:D

I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

and taking your chances out of one of the emergency exits?

I dont think you would be able to open them in a pressurized cabin.

No - but if it's going down - is it likeley that the pressure is not there anymore . .
I saw it on tv one time that if you lose cabin pressure - it's going DOWN!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama

Which would be good as it would mean you wouldn't be able to exit until c. 8000 feet which, I vaguely recall, is the height they are pressurised at. If you went out too high you could end up hypoxic and you wouldn't be able to tell the altitude very accurately (other than using Mark one eyeball).

Good point though...

CJP

Gods don't kill people. People with Gods kill people

I saw it on tv one time that if you lose cabin pressure - it's going DOWN!

I don't think that is strictly true as I seem to remember a local passenger jet loosing pressure and having to "dive" to 10k. I think it was a UK to Spain flight (oops just realised where Cornish Chris is flying:o)

If you experience explosive decompression I believe that it can cause medical trauma that may be life threatening.

In any event remember to put your oxygen mask on first before kitting up.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Which exit were you thinking on taking??? The one before the engines??? mmmm

or how about the one over the wings??

maybe even the one at the back close to the tail.

Ever been out of a jet. one going down.
It would suck to get out and bounce off something.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

if the cabin is already depressurized I'm out, as long as we are over land, or at least close enough to cross country back.

I think ou are all living in lala land....

All - No I just visit from time to time - in fact - I am going there Thusday this week.

It's hard for me to imagine a scenario where the plane is obviously going down and staying with it is certain death, but yet the plane is flying stable enough and long enough for you to get at your rig, pull it out of the gear back, put it on, make way for the door, open it, and get out with enough altitude to deploy.

--Head
--
Turn off the internet! Join Citizens United Negating Technology For Life And People's Safety!

http://www.citizensunitednegatingtechnology.org/

think ou are all living in lala land....

I thought with a thread title of "POINTLESS..." it was a Charlies Angels type skydiving question:D

Although I have seen a film covering a cargo door that became dislodged/blew off (I THINK based on a true story/documentary - but can't be sure). I think you could have exited that - but the plane was structurally sound and flew/landed safely.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I have been mulling over a theoretical question recently which is pretty pointless. Even discussed it with the wife.

Assume you are on a commercial flight on a skydiving trip with your rig as hand luggage. If something was to go wrong with the plane and it started to go down, either in some level of control or not, would you be justified in putting your rig on and taking your chances out of one of the emergency exits?

Bear in mind you might put the plane in more jeopardy by exiting. What about the exit itself, how would you survive that? In my theoretical world I am flying from the UK to Spain so the majority of it is over land. When would it be acceptable and when would you be putting too much risk onto the other passengers? Would you ven make it out the door without being mobbed by others?

Despite the numerous above questions I have given just too options - essentially 'Should I stay or I go?'

Thought it might be an interesting topic of discussion...

WOW, so funny that you bring that up as it's been a question that i've asked myself time and time again. So bizarre that you have thought of the same thing. It's a question that I can't seem to find the right answer to. If it's determined that the plane WILL not be able to recover, I'd probably try to jump out the back emergency exit. it's tough though, because i feel that your chances of surviving on exit would be slim. It's a tough choice and decision. I seriously think about that every time i get into a commercial aircraft :S

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I'm way too inexperienced to say if you could survive, but as for the ethical aspect, well if the plane is definitely fucked then go for it but if you suspect that leaving would endanger others (which I am guessing it might) then it would be wrong.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I'd say don't mention that you have a parachute and stay in your seat. I would bet you would be beaten to death by the other (panicking) passengers all trying to get the only rig in the plane. You would never be able to put your rig on and I would say getting to the door would be completely impossible.
If it's a cargo plane okey then it might work but never on a passenger flight.

I've actually thought about this quite a bit. Although I can't see an actual scenario that it would be possible to make your escape, I still take my gear as carry on, and not in a gear bag. When it boils right down to it, I will do anything I possibly can to save my own ass..............
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

I've actually thought about this quite a bit. Although I can't see an actual scenario that it would be possible to make your escape, I still take my gear as carry on, and not in a gear bag. When it boils right down to it, I will do anything I possibly can to save my own ass..............

+1

Don't forget to unhook the inflatable slide first, deploying that as ya open the door could confuse things...myth busters showed ya can maybe make it down on one. :ph34r:

I had a similar question posed to me after that Hawaiian Airlines 737 "Tan While Ya Land" flight lost part of the roof, making 1st class 'patio seating' and sucking out a flight attendant...

Don't know about getting a rig on in time, but if I were to find myself in freefall with a couple of other passengers...I would definitely do a quick round, transitioning to a rodeo...stacking as many under me as possible! :ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Like many skydivers I liked to take my rig as carry on so it would not get destroyed. I also liked to request the emergency exit seat but not because I had a desire to be near the exit. I just liked the extra leg room. Some flight attendants have given me odd looks when they spotted the rig and saw where I was seating myself.

Anyway, it was just to protect the rig. I had no illusions of a great escape in a disaster.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

I would prbably grab the nearest sweet young honey and get my last taste of boobies before we hit.

But with my luck, I'd be pinned in the seat with Rodney Dangerfield next to me.

:|

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Don't forget to unhook the inflatable slide first, deploying that as ya open the door could confuse things...myth busters showed ya can maybe make it down on one. :ph34r:

I had a similar question posed to me after that Hawaiian Airlines 737 "Tan While Ya Land" flight lost part of the roof, making 1st class 'patio seating' and sucking out a flight attendant...

Don't know about getting a rig on in time, but if I were to find myself in freefall with a couple of other passengers...I would definitely do a quick round, transitioning to a rodeo...stacking as many under me as possible! :ph34r:

How much beer would it be for the first commercial airliner "raft" jump
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192