BelskyBlueEyes

What car to buy? Wrecked mine

So, last Sunday rolled my Explorer on the interstate and wrecked it. I assume it will be totaled. At least I came out with no injury except a scratch on my ear.

I am in the market for a new car. Well, not a "new" one, I will buy a used one. Anything from 1-5 years old lets say. Since I was not in the market for a car at all, I have no idea where to even start. Probably will get another SUV, but maybe not. Any SUV is prone to rollover.

Anyone have any advice? Cars to consider? Ones to avoid? I hate that I have to go through this and I have 30 days rental car through my insurance so I have to find one pretty quickly.

Get something that gets good gas milage!! I love my Titan, but if I had to do it over again I probably would have gotten an accord or something. I spend probably about $100 a week on gas.

better gas milage= more money for jumping
---------------------------------------------------

http://www.myspace.com/rave4funn

I'm not a Dodge owner, but they have a couple of cars that look like low SUVs, and maybe not as prone to rollovers, and still have somewhat the space inside like the regular SUVs have. But damned if I can remember the model names. My good friend has one of them and loves it. It even has a built-in cooler for canned drinks in the dash above the glove compartment! :)

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

My goodness, I'm glad you are ok! Did you have a seat belt on? What made you rollover?

I love my 2003 Jeep Liberty, but it does not get good gas mileage.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I was traveling at 65-70 mph and saw a Hummer to my right coming into my lane. Was natural reaction to turn the wheel left to avoid a collision. I guess I turned it too abruptly. Next thing I am fishtailing, then I know I am going over. I remember it all distinctly and it is a surreal experience.

Wear your seatbelt. ALWAYS! It saved my life. I am positive about this. The hat that was on my head was found in the middle of the highway- that could have been me had I not wore my seatbelt.

I probably would miss having an SUV if I got a car, so I am still pondering what I want to do.

A little duct tape and bondo and we could have that looking good as new

That said, I'm glad you weren't hurt, and consider practical things before the heart things when it comes to a car. E.g. gas mileage, whether you need it to go on dirt roads, whether the seat is comfortable, etc.

I have a Honda Civic, and it suits me fine. Particularly when I don't fill up all that often.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

So, last Sunday rolled my Explorer on the interstate and wrecked it. I assume it will be totaled. At least I came out with no injury except a scratch on my ear.

I am in the market for a new car. Well, not a "new" one, I will buy a used one. Anything from 1-5 years old lets say. Since I was not in the market for a car at all, I have no idea where to even start. Probably will get another SUV, but maybe not. Any SUV is prone to rollover.

Audi A4 (or S4 for more horsepower and money) Avant, BMW 330xi wagon, Suburu WRX wagon, Volvo V70R...

All with AWD, good in snow, great handling, good hauling capacity (I rent a pickup from Home Depot for $20 when I have a real load rather than paying the gas mileage and handling penalties when I don't), and decent gas mileage.

I have an A4 sedan, but the next one (hopefully another decade and 70,000 miles) will be a wagon. On speed-rated snow tires (Dunlop Wintersport) it's comfortable a tick over 100 MPH headed to a rural dropzone and still can't get stuck going snowboarding (you just have to avoid high-centering it).

I've also thought about a 2001-2002 Z3 M coupe now that I don't snowboard as much. 2-seat hatchback for reasonable trunk capacity. 315HP. There are 629 out there.

I just recently purchased a Mazda 3. VERY nice car - great mileage with a pretty bad ass interior.

My biggest concerns were mileage and how friendly it was for the environment. The EPA has all kinds of info on their website - it really guided my decision. If I had more money I would have purchased a hybrid.

Please don't buy a Honda CRV.

Anyone have any advice?

Figure out what you use the car for the vast majority of the time and then buy a car that makes sense for that type of driving.

For instance, if you drive 5 miles to work every day in the city and aren't hauling anything bigger than a briefcase or purse, it makes no sense whatsoever to purchase another SUV.

This isn't to say that SUVs or any car for that matter doesn't have it's place, but pick a car that makes sense, not simply one that is "sexy" or has the most horsepower or highest gas milage or whatever simply because it's available. It has to fit YOU and the way YOU are going to use it.

Car I want; Shelby AC Cobra (totally impractical).
Car I drive; VW GTI (makes a poop-load more sense).
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I love my Subaru outback. I am getting 28-30 mpg, I have room for the dogs, I can sleep in it if needed. I must note that I drive a manual, so I can nurse the gas mileage a little bit ;) All this in a nice AWD wagon with EXCELLENT safety rating and odds are a little less likely to roll it then an SUV
B|

She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Pretty much anything from Toyota or Honda. Plenty of good gas mileage models and lots to choose from.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

I would recommend something with a good safety rating!!!! B|

I kinda' like my '84 Parisienne. It's pretty good on gas, if ya' keep your foot off the front bumper. It doesn't have airbags but if I tangle with anything less than a fully loaded garbage truck.....I win. B|
"T'was ever thus."