pete2005

katana lines

some time ago i buy my toy-katana 97 and i loaded it at about 1.75.Everything was perfect until one day during front riser turn start buffeting, so a change the steering lines(they was 21 cm too short)and then start the problems.Ive got hard openings withs line twist almost every opening etc, front riser pressure increase like 100% and recovery was at least 2 times faster.Everything after only 250 jumps.Why PD make katana witch 650 lbs microline not with vectran or HMA(like mamba form aerodyne)?It realy peasing off changing the lines every 300 jumps and also cost a lot of money>:(

It realy peasing off changing the lines every 300 jumps

1) People should be better about their gear maintenance anyway. 300 jumps is low but EVERY spectra canopy should be relined every 400 jumps PERIOD. By then the lines are so out of trim that the canopy doesnt fly anything like it used to.

2) The Katana has been available with HMA for a few months now (as stated prior). Call PD and they'll reline it for you. Everyone I know who's had the HMA put on has been really happy with the consistency it brings. Be aware though - you will still have to replace the lines for scheduled maintenance. They will just stay in trim specs far better for the life of the line.

3) Call PD. They're always helpful and would have given you this info if you simply called and asked them.

Why people come here as a first resort is beyond me. At least TRY and contact a manufacturer first before bitching about them.

Blues,
Ian
To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders. ~ Lao-Tzu

It's all good, they're my brothers ~ Mariann Kramer

Why PD make katana witch 650 lbs microline not with vectran or HMA(like Mamba form Aerodyne)?It realy peasing off changing the lines every 300 jumps and also cost a lot of money

Did you know any of this before you bought the canopy? If you did why are you "peasing off". If you didn't shame on you.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

:)
Which part of the steering lines you changed ?

Brake to Toggle or the whole Lower Steering Lines & the Brake to Toggle as a kit ?

Does the new steering lines came from PD ?

We have here at our DZ a KA97 with microlines & more jumps without any problem.

Now all KA canopies arrives with HMA.

PD is testing materials from A to Z & only if they passed all tests they will be moved into the market.

Safe Rigging !!!

:)
Which part of the steering lines you changed ?

Hi i change whole Lower Steering Line & the Brake to Toggle as a kit ,and the steereng lines doesnt come from PD(local rigger make it).I would like to say sorry to PD and others- i didnt know that katana is avaliable also with HMA,I should spoke to the PD first before bitching:$My lines get out of trim extremly fast (250 jumps)but i think is because
i jump in very dusty DZ.I order already new line set but again microline-i didnt know about HMA,and now is too late:S
regards

Hi Pete!

We all live and learn - and us manufacturers completely understand that sometime it is easier to log on dz.com than to get in touch with us - especially with the time difference between Spain and the US :)
Please check your PM too ;)

Dropzone.com can for sure be a good place to find information, but with any gear related problems I strongly encourage jumpers to contact the manufacturer with as much detail as possible.
We want you to be happy with your gear - and we can often help set things straight quickly.

Blue Skies,
Kolla Kolbeinsdottir
Performance Designs, Inc
Blue Skies Magazine

I'll take every bet that you are not the only one with this or similar problem.
I'm just really wondering that PD during their thousands and thousands of testjumps hasn't figured out that spectra lines have no business on a high perfomance canopy.
Other manufacturers seem to know that...:P
On the other hand ,spectra is a much cheaper material and manufacturers also make money on lineset's...
So for how long will the HMA line set last?
I'd say 200 max 300 jumps unless you want to risk a line break.If you land mostly on a dusty / sandy landing area I'd put on 200 jumps max.