psipike02

Buying a Ball Python

I've always fed my snake in her cage... did the same with the Burmese in college. Their vision is crap, they go more by taste when it comes to mice, etc. As long as you don't handle rodents before going into the cage, it shouldn't be a problem. I made that mistake once... cleaned out rat cages and went directly to the snake to play with him. That was the only time the Burmese went to strike position with me. I changed shirts and washed up quick that day! :)
I get my mice from a private pet shop, it's the only one I've found that will sell me live feeders. One of the big chain places will only sell frozen feeders because they are opposed to killing animals for food... like they didn't kill the mice when they froze them!?!?! Some chains don't sell feeder rodents at all.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Keep some rubbing alcohol handy. If it ever bites you and latches on, the alcohol is so repulsive to the snake that it should let go, but if you want to keep the snake healthy you should use cotton swab or cloth or something rather than hosing it down and try not to touch it directly - though this may be hard to do when the thing has its fangs in your bloody hand. But for crying out loud, don't pull on it - those teeth are curved backward!

I had a (ended up being) 6' ball python in college, and it only struck at me once when I was stupid and teasing it like it was a puppy or something. Boy, that thing's mouth was BIG coming at me. I have seen very few BPs as big as mine was. All the sorority girls used to go buy rats so they could come over and watch and squeal. I never had to pay for its food.

One Christmas I was coming home (had it two years) and my mom begged me not to bring it home this time because she "couldn't sleep with that thing in the house." I took her (Ripley) to the pet store where I bought her to keep her for me, and when I got back to Tuscaloosa two weeks later, the damned place had been sold, and no one knew anything about my snake. I should have pushed harder, but didn't at the time.
Roll Tide Roll

I've always fed my snake in her cage... did the same with the Burmese in college. Their vision is crap, they go more by taste when it comes to mice, etc. As long as you don't handle rodents before going into the cage, it shouldn't be a problem. I made that mistake once... cleaned out rat cages and went directly to the snake to play with him. That was the only time the Burmese went to strike position with me. I changed shirts and washed up quick that day! :)

I remember being told (after the fact :S) that that was part of the reason my little guy was biting people. Ah wells...

I get my mice from a private pet shop, it's the only one I've found that will sell me live feeders. One of the big chain places will only sell frozen feeders because they are opposed to killing animals for food... like they didn't kill the mice when they froze them!?!?! Some chains don't sell feeder rodents at all.

Hypocrites! :P Y'know, the worst part about the pet shop I had gone to NOT selling me feeder rodents is that they sold snakes!! :D:D:D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.