psipike02

Buying a Ball Python

So I thought I remember hearing a few people say that they've owned one before.

I am getting one from a dealer (I know not to get it from the pet store) and trying to prepare before I actually get him.

Is there anything any previous owner's recommend? Any snake owners, not just ball python owners, advice is welcomed..

Also can any suggest a good escape proof tank and heating pad?
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

A couple of words of advice:

If you have the old-style baseboard heaters or radiators (the long ones that run alongside the wall near the floor or up and down) don't let Monty out in that room. -I can't tell you how many times I had to unwrap him from that damn thing. :S

-How do I know you'll name him 'Monty'? Because 80% of all Python owners name him 'Monty Python'. :S:D:P I was no different.

Anyhoo, also don't get a domed cover that doesn't have some kind of protection from the actual light bulb. I'm pretty sure they don't make those any more nowadays, but they were standard back then. Monty wasn't the brightest of stars in the sky (he was sick often and we think something was wrong with him to start with) but he ended up electrocuting himself somehow by contacting the threads for the light bulb whilest his tail was in the water...or at least that was the story the person I left him with when I went to college (or basic training, geesh it's been so long I don't recall which now) told me.

If your little snakey starts biting people right away with no apparent provocation...get him checked by a vet or call the breeder you bought him/her from. My guy bit people within a week (which also should have been a heads-up that something wasn't right, but I was gone for so often so long that I couldn't really care for him properly and had to trust others to it.

And before anyone gets on me about buying a pet that I wasn't going to take care of, I actually bought him for my then boyfriend that wanted a python but then we broke up & he wouldn't take him. I got stuck with him.

Oh...snakes are fun to watch swim! He really liked to swim in the bathtub. :ph34r: Just about an inch of warm water and he just wiggled around, happy as a clam. :)
Hmm...I guess one more thing; if you get a baby, which is best, don't be fearful of his head/mouth. Showing fear probably isn't the best way to teach your little buddy that you're both keeper and friend. My guy never bit me, but the people he bit said that he had tiny little teeth that were kind of like a baby kitten's sharp baby teeth. It wasn't horrible and they said once he had bitten them they weren't afraid of him at all any more. -Again, he shouldn't have bitten them in the first place, but just to let you know so you won't be overly fearful of that.

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Honestly, I wouldn't go through a dealer either... have you contacted a local reptile rescue? You'd be amazed how many reptiles get abandoned and need homes. That's how my college got the Burmese and how I got my ball python.

Lucy, my ball python, is in a large aquarium. I have 2 stick-on heaters catty corner to each other on 2 sides of the aquarium (you don't want them under the aquarium, it can burn the snake). Don't use a heat rock, same thing, it can burn them. Try to keep the cage about 70-75 degrees on one side, 80-85 on the other.

They like a little humidity. I just keep a large glass bowl full of water, so she can drink or soak, but it also keeps the humidity pretty constant around 60%.

Try to handle your snake frequently. Take walks outside with it if it's warm. Don't handle the day before, day of, or day after feeding.

I prefer to feed mine live mice, I think it's healthier for the snake and less risk of bacterial infection.... After all, would you rather have a fresh steak or frozen? If you feed live, don't leave the snake unsupervised until the rodent is dead. Rodents can cause some serious damage to snakes (though MUCH more common with rats than mice). Your snake may not eat sometimes when you think it should... don't panic. With the season change and recent shedding, mine hasn't eaten in about three weeks. She's healthy though and I know sooner or later she'll get hungry again.

Enjoy your new snake, they are a lot of fun!

Edited to add... I can't stress enough to go through a rescue. It's cheaper too. I paid $20 for my ball python. She was about 2.5 ft at the time, about 3.5 ft now.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I've had 3 ball pythons. All were very gentle. The 1st one even balled up as it was a wild caught ball python. The 2 I had after were captive born and immediately tame, and would never ball up.

1 thing I'd reccomend is a good hiding place in the cage. All 3 of mine would not eat until I gave them a box to hide in while in the cage. They're a reclusive python that NEEDS a good hiding place. Being stuck in the open without anywhere to hide stresses the snake.

http://www.SkydiveVids.com

Mine has a log cave kind of thing, occasionally she uses it. Most of the time she curls up on a little ledge at the very top of the cage, beside the heat lamp. That's her favorite spot. She also enjoys a dunk in her water, or climbing on a branch that's in there. She's pretty active at night and seems to enjoy exploring.

How DID I know who posted this thread before I even looked at the name??? :D

Ball pythons may make excellent pets but keep in mind that it can have a chilling effect on women. (Okay, not COOL women, but there are still some of us girly types who give off high-pitched screeches when presented with snakes of any sort.) I would suggest keeping your new pet somewhere other than your bedroom. :)

Edited to add: Wait, that came out wrong. *I* don't care where you keep him. I'm just thinking of those unsuspecting cuties you might be bringing home. What you and your snake do is up to you; I'm OUT of it! :D

TPM Sister #102

I was considering a snake until I remembered the rabbits in my back yard, then realized my home just wouldn't be safe for a snake.:ph34r:

"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

... but there are still some of us girly types who give off high-pitched screeches when presented with snakes of any sort.

So how you doin'?>:(
Still interested in half my stuff?:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

LOL--I think that's a safe assumption about what Carl wants! He'll probably become instant ball python educator, anyway, and the women will have no choice but to foster a warm understanding of them.

I'm okay if they are not in the same room with me or otherwise loose in the house. I can handle spiders, including my friend's pet tarantula. Rodents are no big deal and some are just downright precious. But snakes are still stretching me just a little too far. :)

TPM Sister #102

Sweet! Thanks to everyone who has given input so far, I really appreciate it, seriously...

I do have some more questions though...

1. Do I need a reptile vet or is a regular vet good too? Should I have him checked out the minute I get him and how expensive will that be?

2. Peregrine, if there are no local rescues, what should I look for? And this is for everyone too, not just Peregrine. I addressed it to her because she originally stated it...

Anyways, if there are no rescues, isn't a dealer who breeds them captively the next best thing?

Awesome idea about swimming too, i'll be sure to try that when I get him.

As far as light fixtures, is there one that's better than another??

And Jewels, you'll have to get used to it, because he/she will become my new little buddy and if the weather is good enough, I'll probably take them around with me. Including the tunnel...
Puttin' some stank on it.

----Hellfish #707----

And Jewels, you'll have to get used to it, because he/she will become my new little buddy and if the weather is good enough, I'll probably take them around with me. Including the tunnel...

:D:D Keep him off the net and out of the turn vanes, and I should be happy! :P I'm not ridiculous about it, but I am SO calling you the next time that bull snake ends up in my front yard. He'll be YOUR problem to take care of. :D
TPM Sister #102

Based on your profile, start here:
http://www.corhs.org/
http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/CO181.html
http://www.iguanapalooza.com/corr/
http://www.coloradoreptilerescue.org

That should get you started with regard to rescues. At least you know you'll have a healthy animal and usually quite a bit of history as well. Since it's your first snake, they are great with giving inforamation regarding proper care.

Yes, if you can't do a rescue, definitely do captive bred, not wild caught.

Ball pythons don't actually require UV light, I don't have a light in her cage, just a ceramic heat bulb and the two stick-on heaters. I have thermostats on each half of the cage, and a humidity reader in the middle. For bedding, I use coconut bedding, it comes in bricks, you hydrate it with water, squeeze it out well, let it air dry for a day or two so it isn't damp, and put it in the cage. Works well, cheap, safe, and great for the snake to bury in if so inclined.

If the snake is CB there is no need to take it to a vet unless there is some kind of problem. Ideally you would want a vet that has studied herpetology (or is a herpetologist) so be sure to ask.
When receiving your new snake, check that the eyes are clear and glossy, the scales are glossy, no bumps/sores (although bumps are not a total concern as they can be caused by unshed skin building up), nothing oozing from the cloaca, and no mites. Wait 24 to 48 hours before attempting to offer food - this gives the animal time to de-stress and get familiar with its new environment.
And just FYI, ball pythons are pretty notorious for going off food for long periods of time, so if it refuses to eat for a while, that is fairly normal. It really doesnt get to be an issue until the animal begins to drop weight (I had one ball that ate like a pig and then one day stopped eating, didnt eat for 8 months and then started up again).

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

Mine would stop eating for about 3 months out of every year.

Be careful about increasing the size of it's food too quickly. When I switched mine from mice to rats, he got a bowel obstruction. Luckily, with me massaging him every few hours for two days, it worked itself out, but it was scary to see him dragging half his body behind him with no control over it

Also, I would recommend NOT feeding it in it's home. I had a separate feeding box for mine. As soon as I would put him in it, he would assume striking position and he never once bit anyone picking him up out of his cage (even when my hands smelled like mice).

My final word of advice would be, when the little kid at Petco asks you what you are going to name your new "pet" mouse, DON'T tell him that you are going to feed it to your snake!

Since I'm not girlfriend material...

You'll never get your hands on guy's stuff with that attitude.:|

Um, it would be a little creepy with psipike02 considering that I could almost be his mother. "Girlfriend material" for him is entirely different--or should be, anyway. Just because he's legal doesn't make it right. :D:S
TPM Sister #102

Also, I would recommend NOT feeding it in it's home. I had a separate feeding box for mine. As soon as I would put him in it, he would assume striking position and he never once bit anyone picking him up out of his cage (even when my hands smelled like mice).

VERY good advice. It's been so long since I was caring for a snake that I forgot this. :)

My final word of advice would be, when the little kid at Petco asks you what you are going to name your new "pet" mouse, DON'T tell him that you are going to feed it to your snake!

Another kind of ridiculous issue I had with my python...I found pet shops that would NOT sell me gerbils (mine ate gerbils, not mice. I don't recall the reason for this...I think it had something to do with local pet shops having 'bad' mice -virus infected- or something like that :S). I had a hard time finding pet shops that would sell me rodents to feed my dude (is that not incredibly ridiculous?! :S) I ended up breeding my own...gerbils and mice are definitely NOT tough to breed. :ph34r:;)
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.