D22369

Freakin losers...... PULL OVER!!!!

ok, on my way home from the friday after work beer with the co workers, a city cop with lights blazing cruising at at least 50 (in a 35) ......

nobody but me put on the signal and pulled over... he had to dodge quite a few morons in their vehicles....

(disclaimer) - as a rule I dont like cops, but I have several that are law enforcement officers, I find that most carry an attitude that I find totally unacceptable to be around -- its the their god, your not attitude...

BUT!!! for crying out loud, at the time they have their lights on and are heading toward trouble, GIVE THEM ROOM!!! shit... they just might be heading to help someone you know....

fuck I hate people

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Years ago when I was living on the left coast there was quite an issue with firetrucks not getting the right of way...they started carrying video cameras mounted up top, and the people clearly being an asshole got a ticket in the mail.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Years ago when I was living on the left coast there was quite an issue with firetrucks not getting the right of way...they started carrying video cameras mounted up top, and the people clearly being an asshole got a ticket in the mail.

I got that ticket in the mail. Thank goodness it's not me in the picture. Somebody else was driving my car. It's a $320 ticket now. :S
Be yourself!
MooOOooOoo

Its like herding sheep. Some will put on thier blinker and pull to the left, some will pull to the right, some will run to stay ahead of you, some will freeze. My biggest fear when driving (ambulance) code 3 is pushing someone through a red light into oncoming traffic. When completely blocked, I shut down the siren and leave the lights on staying way back, waiting for a green light, then please, get the fuck out of my way:P

It really is disheartening how many drivers dont know what to do when confronted with an emergency vehicle in the rear view mirror.

And unfortunately the reality is that its not just cops that get attitudes, theres some youngsters piloting these ambulances that have pretty unrealistic views on what thier doing.

Funny thing is sometimes cops hang back and follow us, just to ticket idiots;)

------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Just a quick question (to play devils advocate)-was he using his siren? You did not say that he was in the original post. All you said was that he came up, lights blazing. If his sirens were not on- by law- he was not an emergancy responding vehicle- therefore, no one had to move out of the way. Sure, they could have been courteous and moved, but they did not have to.

If he did have his sirens on, then everyone that didnt move was a bunch of assholes.

The sole intention, is learning to fly.Condition grounded, but determined to try.Can't keep my eyes from the circling skies.Tongue tied and twisted, just an Earth bound misfit.

its frustrating to have people not move to the side when we are trying to run hot.
The service I work for avoids the lights and siren if we can, we have found and stydys prove that running hot does not always get you there faster and can seat more hazards in the process. on occassion it is a must to have the lights going and the sirens on.
Alot of people must forget what was taught to them in drivers ed, move to the side for emergency vehicles, driving in the left lane when not overtaking another car..etc, etc.
As someone that occassionally drives a ambulance, it also makes us uneasy when family follow us or anyone for the matter when we are driving with the lights on. I usally ask the family to not do this and when they don't comply I guess I am an ass but I radio the local pd to come in behind us and slow them down.
Please pull over and do so with caution and with safety in mind. thank you
www.greenboxphotography.com

It really is disheartening how many drivers dont know what to do when confronted with an emergency vehicle in the rear view mirror.

While driving down the highway? That is fairly well known. But at a red light? Educate us. Point to a web site where guidelines exist.

It can be rather chaotic at a stop light can't it? I would rather do less than more, which might cause another emergency.

From: http://www.nysgtsc.state.ny.us/emer-ndx.htm#approached:

"What should I do if I am approached by an emergency vehicle with its light and sirens going?

When approached (from the front or rear) by an emergency vehicle whose light and siren are activated the driver of every other vehicle must yield the right of way.
In yielding the right of way, you must drive immediately to the right hand edge or curb of the roadway, parallel to the roadway, and clear of any intersection.
You must stop and remain stopped until the emergency vehicle or vehicles have passed, unless otherwise directed by a police officer. (See Section 1144 of the Vehicle & Traffic Law.) "

(This is a NY state thingy, most states will have similar rules)

Basically, this is it in a nutshell. To specifically answer your question about being at an intersection: move to the right and stop if possible, but if the intersection is full on your side and you therefore cannot move to the right, remain stopped where you are. Do NOT enter the intersection until all emergency vehicles have completely cleared the intersection. Don't try to "beat them across the intersection."

IMO, DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, proceed into an intersection against the red light to clear the way for an emergency vehicle. Most responders will cut their siren if a boulevard blocks their access to the oncoming lanes and they cannot get around you. DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, move to the left into oncoming traffic.

The only possible exception I can think of to this rule would be if a vehicle was approaching you from the rear and other emergency vehicles (police or other vehicles already at a crash scene) were completely controlling traffic in the upcoming intersection.

Elvisio "lights and sirens" rodriguez

IMO, DO NOT, under ANY circumstances, proceed into an intersection against the red light to clear the way for an emergency vehicle.

Good info, thank you. You know, if this is a problem nowdays you would think that the government would create some public safety ads for TV. They do that for a lot of things, and it would only take a 30 second spot once in a while to get the word out.

I must say that when you are the only car between a red light and the ambulance in back of you with the lights/and or/siren on, it is difficult to not think that you are supposed to go through the red light to make way. Especially when the driver is manipulating the siren control to cause that change in siren operation that means "I'm honking the horn, get out of the way".

One of the most frustrating thing I experienced was when an ambulance was behind me on a crowded street and I was slowly approaching an intersection in the left lane in preparation to stop behind traffic. I must have had the music on loud enough to miss the siren, (or maybe it was not on). The ambulance got so close that I could no longer see the lights in my peripheral vision and was slow to identify it and get out of the way. By the time I moved to the right, the ambulance started to pass me on the right and there was a conflict. The urgency seemed odd to me because after it passed me there was a lot of traffic 100 feet ahead that could not quickly move.