AggieDave

Dust to Glory

I'm watching it right now.

This is quite possibly the best documentary I have ever watched. Ever. And I love good documentaries.

Its the sort of thing that someone who has no love, care or concern for the Baja 1000 will still really appreciate the movie! I'm spending a large majority of the movie with my mouth hanging open saying "Damn!"

I very very highly recommend this movie. If you have Netflix, they've got it available for your queue.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Skydiving aside my other passion is off road motorcycling. Dust to Glory is an amazing documentary. I have never raced in Baja but a number of my friends who have said it is a very correct portrayal of the race.

Since it was released it has done to desert racing what Point Break did for skydiving.

Since it was released it has done to desert racing what Point Break did for skydiving.

Really? I would believe it. It even got me thinking. Then again, I'm an old school VW guy. Its not too much of a stretch that I could build a VW powered Meyers buggy...don't see me doing it anytime soon, but its a neat idea.B|

Really? I would believe it. It even got me thinking. Then again, I'm an old school VW guy. Its not too much of a stretch that I could build a VW powered Meyers buggy...don't see me doing it anytime soon, but its a neat idea.B|

"Off-road motorcycling" and desert racing are absolutely not even close to the same thing. I don't think Dust to Glory did the same for baja as Point Break did for skydiving because desert racing is not a spectator sport and far more cost prohibitive to be successful at than skydiving is, but what do I know.
Dave - there is actually a stock VW bug class in the Baja 1000.
check this: http://www.score-international.com/ My brother is the crew chief for the first place car in the unlimited class
here's some cool forums: http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/ This is where you can pick up the link to the weatherman.

Dave - there is actually a stock VW bug class in the Baja 1000.

Yeah, saw that and it really got my wheels spinning.B|

Thanks for the links.

This isn't something that I'd even be able to attempt for many years, but its got my wheels turning.

Its a whole other world out there and definitely one of the most unique racing experiences on the planet. I thought the documentary was good, but its just like watching a video of a skydive. A good visual representation, but not nearly the same as being there.

Here is how your boy Jesse James got his feet wet in baja: http://www.wideopenbaja.com/index_main.html

Picture of my bro.

Saw that he sort of helped build a truck on Monster Garage and that those experienced guys tried to help him along. He got stuck in the silt.

its just like watching a video of a skydive. A good visual representation, but not nearly the same as being there.

I can only imagine. It does make me want to go on vacation, party and watch the start of the race atleast.

"Off-road motorcycling" and desert racing are absolutely not even close to the same thing. I don't think Dust to Glory did the same for baja as Point Break did for skydiving because desert racing is not a spectator sport and far more cost prohibitive to be successful at than skydiving is, but what do I know.

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm not a desert racer, just enduros. I do know a few people who have done the race a couple times and was going off of what I have heard from them.
I should also add that it may not of created many new entries in the Baja 1000 as that is a monumental undertaking but it did spark considerable interest in the off road world from outsiders.

Sorry I should have clarified, I'm not a desert racer, just enduros. I do know a few people who have done the race a couple times and was going off of what I have heard from them.
I should also add that it may not of created many new entries in the Baja 1000 as that is a monumental undertaking but it did spark considerable interest in the off road world from outsiders.

It got people to turn their heads and pay attention to the 1000. The series that has really benefitted, in my opinion is this one: http://www.corracing.com/

I don't know his team name, actually. There are different starting times depending on what vehicle is being raced (I think the dune buggie thingies go first). Their race is still going as I understand.

The last update we got was last night and there is still a good ways to go, but is expected to end sometime today. I think. Ha! I'm not really sure.

I've attached a picture of their team truck, though.:)

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

No idea about trucks. I'm not into them. That's his thing.:P

I watched about five minutes of Dust to Glory one evening when we last visited BZ's brother in CA. His poor girlfriend has seen it and other home videos a billion times.B| I let Billy indulge his brother's excitement while his girlfriend and I drank all their wine, laughed & took pictures of the cat.:$:D:P

:(

The latest news as of two minutes ago is they're out of the race. He said they were about 100 miles ahead of the nearest team when something went wrong with the transmission. They tried to fix it but--in the middle of the desert--were unsuccessful. It must have sucked watching the next team finally catch up and pass them.[:/]

I realize it's a race and you want to win (and I have no idea if there's a purse and/or what the amount is), but at the end of the day hopefully they'll just be stoked to have had the experience.

I'm not positive, but I think this was his first race so there's always next time.:)

desert racing is not a spectator sport

Since it's not really my bag I haven't read or researched anything about it and only know what I've heard from JZ and seen in his numerous videos, but you got that right! From what I understand it's pretty dangerous for spectators. Still, I know JZ has been down as a spectator several times.

I've seen video of some of where the race goes through and it's surprisingly beautiful. Desolate. But, beautiful. They camped near this body of water and it was just so serene. The pictures were amazing.

:)