swedishcelt

Did you get a flu shot this year?

Just curious. I got one and I feel icky now, fever and sore throat, slight cough. Sigh. I don't know whether it's because of the shot or not but that is what my friends say... :S

Yep. A couple of weeks ago. No problem.

LAST year, however, I did feel like crap after I got it. I was feeling like I was getting the flu when I got the shot so maybe that's what did it. Some friends of mine said the same thing. When they feel "sick" when they get it, it makes them feel like CRAP.
'Shell

I got one this morning and feel fine. If I understand the process correctly, it's only the nasal sprays that should make you feel crappy, as they are weakened forms of live virus. The shots are of dead virii and shouldn't prompt any symptoms. I could be wrong.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

If I remember correctly you are right Dave......got mine a couple of weeks ago and get one every year due to exposure risk.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

nope, never get one, and never get sick!!! B|:)

Of course, i had some sort of illness/virus thing going on in the beginning of september, but no flu shot for me!!! :D:D:D

CReW Skies,
bubbles

"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

No, I don't do shots period. I boost my immune system naturally and do fine every year. If it's not broken, don't fix it.

But for those who would be deathly ill with the flu if they didn't get the shot....yeah....it's a godsend.
Mrs. WaltAppel

All things work together for good to them that love God...Romans 8:28

I got one this morning and feel fine. If I understand the process correctly, it's only the nasal sprays that should make you feel crappy, as they are weakened forms of live virus. The shots are of dead virii and shouldn't prompt any symptoms. I could be wrong.

Blues,
Dave

You're probably right, I just wonder why I always get symptoms after getting the shot? Oh well.

Never got one, Never got the flu. I really have a hard time with the flu shot idea... Ok let me give myself the flu or a very weak one so in the event that I do catch it later on in the year It wont be as bad. Just doesn't make sense to me.

I get the flu shot every year, I've got asthma and have been hospitalized in the past from the flu. Not fun!

I've never gotten really sick in the ten years that I've been getting the flut shot, but it could just as well be regular exercise and sleep that is keeping me protected versus the shot.

Oh well, I know when I'm around people with the flu I feel immune, and that in itself probably does me a lot of good!

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

I get one every year at work. It's convenient, fast, and free. Whether I would get the flu if I didn't get the immunization is debatable, but unprovable. Any medical types out there with some study's stats?

There is a benefit to having everyone around you be immunized even if you aren't, called "herd immunity." If no one around you gets the flu, you don't need to be immunized.;)

I get one every year for one reason. My mom is 72 and has asthma (fully under control), but cannot get a flu shot because she is allergic to eggs. So everyone in the family gets the flu shot so they don't expose her to the flu.

BTW, Dave is correct. It is a dead virus they use. You cannot get the flu from the vaccine. If you feel like shit afterwards, you probably were already carrying some bug.

Thanks for the reminder, I need to get one. Been getting them for the last 12 years and haven't been sick once during winter ever since.

Every year somebody at work is out for a week, then comes back with a horror story about how they were blowing it out both ends with a throbbing headache and they just wanted to die and get it over with (which is also possible). I suggest they might consider getting a flu shot next year, and they say something like, "Oh I NEVER get a flu shot". And all I can say is, "WELL APPARENTLY NOT !!".

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

I get one every year. In 1975 I was laid out by the honest to God FLU. Never want to experience that again. B|

I have, on several occasions, felt "flu like symptoms" begin and then recede.

I'm a believer.

Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

I've never gotten one and I've had the "flu" maybe once in my life. I usually get one winter cold that makes me miserable for a day or 2 but normally that's about it and I've heard the flu shots can make you feel crappy- for me so far it hasn't been worth it.

Isn't that how vaccines work though- expose you to a weak version of the virus to promote your own immune system to build up the appropriate antibodies so when the real thing comes along, your body is prepared?

Yes. A vaccine works by priming the B-lymphocytes that produce the antibodies that react to the viral protein.

Some people feel crappy after getting a flu shot, but other people have no problems at all afterwards. Depends on the individual.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

Just curious. I got one and I feel icky now, fever and sore throat, slight cough. Sigh. I don't know whether it's because of the shot or not but that is what my friends say... :S

Its from the shot.
happens to me every year.
My photos

My Videos

Considering that the Flu vaccine is not a live strain I don't see why people say the flu shot makes you sick. Although just because you get the flu shot does not mean you wont get sick.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

I'll be getting mine this weekend. I'm in the National Guard and it's mandatory that everyone gets one at our unit.

I've been getting one every year for the past 3 years and had the flu once before that.

The first time I got one, I was on active duty, and a lot of other people got sick after the shot, but I think the only reason I didn't was because I was already on medication from being sick.

Since then, I've never been bothered by the shot.

Also, before the shot, I'd get really sick several times a year, now, I very very rarely get sick, other than the occasional sinus infection, which let me tell you, feels terrible on a jump.