ryoder

The Rental Car

P.J. O'Rourke once wrote this:

Even more important than being drunk, however, is having the right car. You have to get a car that handles really well. This is extremely important, and there's a lot of debate on this subject – about what kind of car handles best. Some say a front-engined car;some say a rear-engined car. I say a rented car. Nothing handles better than a rented car. You can go faster, turn corners sharper, and put the transmission into reverse while going forward at a higher rate of speed in a rented car than in any other kind. You can also park without looking, and can use the trunk as an ice chest. Another thing about a rented car is that it's an all-terrain vehicle. Mud, snow, water, woods – you can take a rented car anywhere. True, you can't always get it back – but that's not your problem, is it?

Ref: http://www.heretical.com/miscella/reptile.html

Today I found this:

April 8,1951 a 200 lap race was held before 9,000 fans... Marshal Teague in a Hudson won the race over Johnny Mantz in a Nash Ambassador... Slick Smith was actually driving the Nash at the finish in relief for Mantz...The biggest news of the race as far as I am concerned was the Frank Mundy story... Mundy went to Gardena without a ride and when no California car became available he took matters into his own hands... He rented a 1950 Chevrolet at a rental agency downtown and qualified 17th... He finished the race 11th and waited till dark to return the car so the employees would not notice the bald tires on the car after racing.... I wonder if rental cars always matched the templates... Oh you mean no templates back then , huh...

Ref: http://www.eons.com/groups/topics/nascar-fans/1/2007/08
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Absolutely!

As a 5+ year veteran 'connoisseur' of rental cars I can vouch for the fact that for some reason these cars are just much more darn fun than one you own.

Much like the similar phenomenon of fast cars not being fast until they have racing stickers.