nikyboy

HOW THE F#*% DO YOU GET A NEW ZP CANOPY IN THE D BAG?

Get angry at your canopy as you try to shove the fucker in. It helps if you are listening to metal, and watching the packers at the DZ sliding canopies in their dbags with ease. Swearing a lot helps too.
Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

hey i was just wondering if anyone has any tips on getting my new ZP canopy in the bag, its too slippery and it just keeps filling back up with air, i have been paying for it to get packed, but that starts too add up.... so any tips?

Packing was real torture at first -- I'm cramming a 170 into a 150. Right now it's no big deal, but it's still very energy consuming to cram it into the bag!

Talk to it, caress it, cuss it, beat it, stuff it, cuss it, stuff it, etc... Then pay a packer for a few jumps till the 'new' is worn off while at the same time observing others who make packing 'look easy' and attempt to learn from them. If you'd like pro tips and tricks and would like to learn tom pack that slippery thing yourself. Go Big and schedule some time with me. I should have you 'getting it in the bag easier' within 8 hours of training broken up into 2-3 sessions.

I have to agree with the various people saying "psycho pack".

I'm a newbie jumper, also having serious packing issues, and also owning a brand-new ZP canopy.

Two things have changed since I first got it: One, it has about 20 pack jobs by packers, which has made life a tiny bit easier. The second is that I've become happier with psycho packing, which makes the snotmaterial an order of magnitude easier to control when you're bagging it.

Get someone to explain it from the point of view of a normal pro-pack.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

A friend at my old DZ had the rigger make him a 2" wide strap with velcro on it.
After he cacooned the canopy he would put the strap around it to hold the canopy and not allow it slide out when S-folding and he would undo the strap and take it off after he had the canopy in the bag. Although I gave him a ton of shit for not being able to pack without a crutch it seemed to work pretty well for him.

Don't forget to take the strap off that would be bad.

Nick

Are you kidding me about the strap? Don't even be putting the death strap around the canopy, use some other tool that if packed in the rig the parachute will still open. Even as a rigger I had learned to use a strap tool for packing, I quickly learned that the 2" STRAP TOOL tool is NOT welcomed IN MY RIGGERS KIT. Tell the fella to find another way bro.

Yo Larry!!!

That 2" strap should be part or your kit so you can bust it out in front of Sonic and freak him out!!!!

"Are you kidding me!!!"

See ya at the DZ with my molar warrior for my weekend of packing!!

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Start your S-Folds from the top down. Meaning- Grab the top of the canopy and S-Fold it towards you at this point you should have about half the canopy S-folded. Bag this part of the canopy. Once the canopy is in the bag neatly S-Fold the rest of the canopy down the center of the canopy that's already in the bag. Make sense!! Probably not, but it's the easiest way to bag a new zp canopy. Also, don't kneel on the canopy when you are trying to control it this will make it slide all over the place. Instead use your legs to put pressure to control your packjob.

from the pic...
why use a pullup cord to make a first stow?
It's looks like you put canopy in the bag quite well (almost all in the bag) so IMHO there shouldn't be any problem to just stow it w/o any additional tools :$
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Talk to it, caress it, cuss it, beat it, stuff it, cuss it, stuff it, etc...

I got $5 on the new ZP...two falls out of three.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

OKAY DUDE:

I was a packer for many years. Brand new ZP sucks, no doubt.

Some tips:

1) Use your whole body to pack. Knees, elbows, belly, even your head.

2) However you pack it, (pro or flat) try and iron creases in your folds while pressing the air out. It may not look like it does much but over time, but it will help the parachute develop some memory.

3) After you cocoon the pack job (wrapped the tail around, laid it down and cocooned it), try and squeeze as much air out of it as possible. Try and get it as tight and compact as you can so after you make the first fold you can use your knees and elbows to contain it. This is when you need to make sure you control the material instead of vice versa.

4) Use your knees and keep pressing the air out when you complete the fold and use your knees to press it.

5) Bunch up excess material and squeeze excess air out to make as nice an S fold as you can.

6) Before you do all this make sure you have prepared the D Bag completely (all rubber bands are on and untwisted, pilot chute cocked, bag big and open.

7) While keeping knees and legs on s fold slide corner of D bag under pack job and then gently guide it into the bag.

8) Repeat on the other side.

9) Press the D Bag closed and get that first stow done.

10) Relax!

Hope it helps, I remember what it was like to have brand new Zero P. It does get easier the more you do it, you just sort of get used to it. But that is why I get my canopies used with about 100 jumps on them. Now I fly a semi-ragged out Stiletto and I love packing it!
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."