Brains

Bone density test?

Anyone ever have this done? What is involved with the procedure?

Get a friend, give him a baseball bat, lay your arm out, tell him to take a good hard whack, inspect ends of broken bones jutting through skin and you'll see how dense they are... :DB|
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Its pretty begnin.

They take xrays in a few spots (hip and spinal collum typically) and then use software to calculate bone density, and rate the patient based on age and what the mean is for that age (so many standard deviations from mean etc...).
Remster

Get a friend, give him a baseball bat, lay your arm out, tell him to take a good hard whack, inspect ends of broken bones jutting through skin and you'll see how dense they are...:D

That is pretty funny, however i am concerned because in 2005 i broke my right tibia, spiral fracture. Tuesday night i fell and broke my left tibia and fibula, spiral fracture. I am starting to think something is wrong with my bones. [:/]

Remster, thanks for the answer, i was hoping the test didn't involve removing any bone for testing or something like that.

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

You want us to report your spouse for abuse? :ph34r:

The data they end up will be limited for a young male. Most of the collected data is for post menopausal women, so the variation from the mean they observe on you will be based ona very small sample size. Even for mid 30's women, the sample size is small.

Remster

Get a friend, give him a baseball bat, lay your arm out, tell him to take a good hard whack, inspect ends of broken bones jutting through skin and you'll see how dense they are...:D

That is pretty funny, however i am concerned because in 2005 i broke my right tibia, spiral fracture. Tuesday night i fell and broke my left tibia and fibula, spiral fracture. I am starting to think something is wrong with my bones. [:/]

Damn, that sucks! [:/] Hope you heal well, and drink more milk or take calcium supplements, but hey, I'm no doctor.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Jeff, there is also a base line test you can get done that all they do is scan your heal. It takes about ten mintues to do.

I've been through the whole bone scan stuff and also had just the heel scan done, and both were close in showing the same results. I'm now on that Boniva stuff.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

My wife had the test last week. I believe she was told that the "new" method was to test the heel as it is load bearing. She scored 131% so she's happy. The test took about 10-15 minutes and she was given the results immediately.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

ouch!
Painless study, you get quick results - you can run results by your primary care doc or your orthopedist. They will recommend meds if you need them.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

I had the heel scan done about 18 months ago as part of a "Lifeline Screening" and it did indicate a potential problem. BUT I've broken both my ankles so the heel was probably not the best place to scan. When I asked my regular doctor about it and told her HOW I broke my ankles, she told me not to worry. Its not like my bones were breaking spontaneously or anything, they took a lot of abuse both times and healed very well afterwards. No Boniva for me, not yet, anyway!

Holy crap Jeff! I'm sorry to hear about your leg, man that's horrible. I guess you'd do anything to get out of swooping with us.:P

Joking aside, I am sorry to hear about your misfortune.

:D I will now have more metal in my body than Moffett!B| In 05, i broke it right before a snowboarding trip, this time it was a month before a snowboarding trip:D

My son has Osteogenisis Imperfecta Type IV. He has been having bone desinty tests since he was about 10, he is now 30. With him, when they discovered he had a problem, they scanned a variety of areas including his spine, and they do occasional tests for comparison purposes. His take about a half an hour. He was on calcium supplements at an early age, and they have really helped his bone density, so I would suggest getting the tests done. With early diagnosis, and treatment, you CAN strengthen bones.
And yes, he has jumped, about 13 tandems. He can't (shouldn't) be landing on his own legs, although in his last jump, he landed FAST EDDIE! I could have shot them BOTH!
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Tuesday night i fell and broke my left tibia and fibula, spiral fracture.

How'd you do that?:|

Damn.

Sorry.
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I actually perform these at work...like the others said, no big deal. Takes 15-20mts. at the most if scanning the femur and spinal colum.

It can be hard for some people to lie flat on a table if they've had spine fractures and/or curvatures, but otherwise no problem.

Sorry to hear about your bones:( - heal fast!

"...I've learned that while the "needs" in life are important (food, water, shelter), it's the "wants" in life (ice cream, chocolate, sex) that make it worth the effort." Kbordson

Tuesday night i fell and broke my left tibia and fibula, spiral fracture.

How'd you do that?:|

Damn.

Sorry.

Heeley's in my kitchen :$[:/]

:o

:D
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

That is pretty funny, however i am concerned because in 2005 i broke my right tibia, spiral fracture. Tuesday night i fell and broke my left tibia and fibula, spiral fracture. I am starting to think something is wrong with my bones

Note to self.. next time I meet Brains.. be carefull when I hug him.. he is Fragile

Do they even make those in a man size or are you squeezing into some kid's shoes you rolled outside of a Jr. High?

I have a nice, hardly used pair in size 10 if you would like them, i don't need them anymore.:D

Amazon, yes i am fragile, so if you only gave me a half amazon hug i would probably be ok:)