scdiver89

Whats this mal. called?

Or pack yourself and learn how to bring a canopy in. While you're at it set your brakes and uncollapse the slider. K thanx :P

Ditto. Even when using a hired packer, know how to bring the canopy in, set your brakes, walk the lines, uncollapse your slider and PC. This way you guarantee that 80% of the pack job is correct, not to mention that you will gain respect from your packer.
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

Pretty easy to do. I've done that myself too several times, but have always noticed it when packing because the lines are crazy all over the place. Can be a real bitch to clean up too.

Simple step throughs are easy to miss unless you always pick up your lines and walk to your canopy. I still rarely walk my lines, only if I have a messy landing or have a vibe that things might be messed up.

I'm a bit surprised and disappointed to hear how many people do not walk their lines (4 line check) while packing.

I have never packed a step through but find the need to correct one about once a year.

I think it adds about 15 seconds to my pack job.

MarkM, any particular reason for not doing a line check while packing?
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

if he used a paid packer. it's called time to kick a packer's ass. no excuse to miss that during a packjob.

Funny thing you should say that.
I had a packer pack a step through for me.
To this very day I have no idea how, but she packed for me at least 150 times prior and I made her pack for me again that day.

I can only think that she didnt pack it but it was one of our guest packers and she didn't know how to tell me because I requested that she only allow someone she trusts to pack it.

Im still perplexed by it.
Im not trying to hijack the thread but here's mine.
My photos

My Videos

As others have said, it's a stepthrough. After bagging the closed bag has been passed through a set of lines.

Or after landing the person steps through some lines. I've packed myself a step through twice and landed both of them. But then were simple flip step throughs, not crazy ones like in this vid.

Ahh, I always thought a line check would catch that. No question it could cause it if you don't trace your line groups up from the risers.

if he used a paid packer. it's called time to kick a packer's ass. no excuse to miss that during a packjob.

The guy's a friend of mine and we talked about it a bit. He does his own packing and told me that he'd rushed the packjob to make a short call for the next load. Says he's learned his lesson and knowing him, I know that he has.

Jumping to the conclusion that he used a packer is unfounded, as well as your conclusion that it's time to kick anyone's ass, unless that's the way you try to solve all of life's problems. Malfunctions happen happen to us all and more often than not they happen because we did something dumb to ourselves.

Live with it, learn from it, and move on.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !

jtval
I noticed your main and reserve have very similar colors.
Many years ago an AFF instructor at my DZ had a premature reserve deployment at King Air’s door. His reserve wrapped around the stabilizer and he cutaway his main as a reflex. I don’t know if the colors were similar but it is definitely one reason to have very distinct canopies. Another obvious reason is in a two-out situation.
You have much more experience than me and have probably evaluated this issue so please don’t take this as criticism
Safe skies

Ronaldo
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted