scdiver89

Whats this mal. called?

A simple tangle of the lines that wasn't picked up by whoever packed the patrachute.

That's why we pick up the four line groups at the risers and walk the groups up to the canopy, two in each hand (seperated by fingers) pushing the slider up in front of our hands. Any tangle such as this will be immediately evident and can then be untangled before going any further with the pack job.

Another good habit - when you get all the way to the canopy, with the slider grommits now hard against the canopy, is to then grap the "top" two line groups, lift them above and then sight the line groups back to the risers. If they go uninterupted to the connector links, there's no tangle. It's a very fast "feel good" procedure.

Be safe out there.

fergs

I wonder how he finishes with his reserve handle in the right hand, and where the kink just before teh reserve pin comes from.

His right hand is holding it by the pin end, not the handle. He probably used his right hand to clear the cable, then let go of the handle with his left hand.

As for the kink - RSL?
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

i think proper response would be fly your canopy back to the dz and chop over the landing area before 1500 ft.

Crap. Why sacrifice the altitude when you know you're going to chop? Just make sure you get a good visual on where your main is headed. The higher you chop the more grace you give yourself for anything else funky that might happen on reserve deployment.

I love how he's trying to collapse his slider Tongue

That made me laugh too, as well as trying to kick out of it!!

haha.

My first mal was almost identical, rushed packjobs, going through the motions without thinking or looking!!!
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

As others have said, it's a stepthrough. After bagging the closed bag has been passed through a set of lines.

Or after landing the person steps through some lines. I've packed myself a step through twice and landed both of them. But then were simple flip step throughs, not crazy ones like in this vid.

As others have said, it's a stepthrough. After bagging the closed bag has been passed through a set of lines.

Or after landing the person steps through some lines. I've packed myself a step through twice and landed both of them. But then were simple flip step throughs, not crazy ones like in this vid.

That was the sort of step through I have learned about. What exactly would cause the lines tangle above the step through?

That was the sort of step through I have learned about. What exactly would cause the lines tangle above the step through?

Have a bad landing, windy day, canopy is all over the place, you're in a rush, when you're gathering your shit you grab the PC and pull it up through some lines without noticing.

Pretty easy to do. I've done that myself too several times, but have always noticed it when packing because the lines are crazy all over the place. Can be a real bitch to clean up too.

Simple step throughs are easy to miss unless you always pick up your lines and walk to your canopy. I still rarely walk my lines, only if I have a messy landing or have a vibe that things might be messed up.

This isn't a "simple" step/flip through.
That would end up with the same side lines /risers twisted. That happens most commonly when the bagged canopy is given a complete flip. It is also possible to get that by having a very violent deployment and swinging up and flipping through the risers. That situation cnn be landable (I've done it[:/])

This mal looks like the canopy was tangled when it was picked up. You could replicate it (or create it) by putting the bagged canopy through a line group (not just up through the middle of the left and right groups) I don't think I'd try to land that one.

And yes, the kink in the reserve ripcord is called a "pigtail" and it's from the RSL. If all the strands in the cable are intact, the ripcord is OK to reuse.

"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

i think proper response would be fly your canopy back to the dz and chop over the landing area before 1500 ft.

Crap. Why sacrifice the altitude when you know you're going to chop? Just make sure you get a good visual on where your main is headed. The higher you chop the more grace you give yourself for anything else funky that might happen on reserve deployment.

Yeah and then just follow the main down...why head back without it, you're prolly gonna need it later on. ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

all i know is that even with simple flip thru.. DO NOT try to undo it by doing front or back flips under canopy..
i know a person who followed my funny joke to the T and performed backflip under canopy in order to get the flip thru out...
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

if he used a paid packer. it's called time to kick a packer's ass. no excuse to miss that during a packjob.

Or pack yourself and learn how to bring a canopy in. While you're at it set your brakes and uncollapse the slider. K thanx :P

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.