Hagen

Canopy destruction/safe landing with reserve - Ukraine, April, 29

What: complete canopy destruction
When: April, 29
Where: Borodyanka dropzone near Kiev, Ukraine (http://www.paraskuf.com.ua/).
Details: It was the third jump of a very experienced skydiver with Velocity 103 ( INSP 401, VE103-001494, 02/2004). The malfunction upon the opening was the following: tearing of the left brake and lines of the right stabilizer. The left stabilizer was torn along its stitch. The second cell was torn, too, with tearing off lines of 1-2 rows. Actually, the canopy just fell to pieces and that provoked awful turning around.
The skydiver managed to make fast cut away and landed safely with his reserve chute.
Some other details: the loading on the canopy was 2,4. When the skydiver bought the canopy he was told that about 350-400 jumps had been maid with it. Actually, you can see how it happened on video on http://www.paraskuf.com.ua/forum/index.php?showtopic=212.
It would be interesting to hear some experienced opinions on what happened and comment on how such situations could be avoided (except of recommendations not to buy used equipment).
P.S. I hope that my message is understandable even though I may misuse some skydiving terms. However, I’m going to add some link to pictures showing the cut away canopy on the land so you’ll be able to estimate the damages.

and comment on how such situations could be avoided

how about having a rigger actually look your new equipment before you jump it. not trying to bag on you but apparently you weren't qualified for that job

Sure than the canopy was been overviewed. Canopy owner has made more than 2k jumps.

http://www.paraskuf.com.ua/video/cutaway-29.05.06.avi
--
Blue Sky!
Association "PARA-SKUF" (DZ Borodyanka, Kiev, Ukraine)
http://www.paraskuf.com.ua

I have seen many catastrophic main canopy failures, from a variety of reasons. If I had to speculate, I would say this was a malfunction that resulted in canopy damage, not simply a random canopy explosion.

I do not think this thread belongs in the incidents forum. It should be moved to gear and rigging or general skydiving.

The canopy was sold to owner by Andrey Veselov - the official PD dealer in Russia. He told that 350-400 jumps were made with the canopy and that it will need lines change not earlier than in 200 jumps. It was a third jump when the incident happend.
--
Blue Sky!

tearing of the left brake and lines of the right ear. The left ear was torn ...

I think a helmet would have prevented all of these painful ear injuries. :P

Kevin
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

Nick_Fedchik:
Flaming a diller on public forum is a bad idea.

Agree, but You mean than it's a good idea to sell a bad canopy?
Well I'm just a beginner, and just seen the incident while piloting my canopy near at that moment... Still shocked. Third jump on that canopy of experienced AFF instructor...
And from the words of the canopy owner, the dealer said than the canopy in good condition when he sell it. Now as I know from the canopy owner, Veselov keeps a silence about this incident... [:/]
And please don't remind me than skydiving is dangerous etc... I know. In this situation the dealer looks like cheater... Again, I do not accuse to the dealer, but it's looks so...
--
Blue Sky!

Skydiving is a sport with a lot of complex variables. Just because something bad happened doesn't mean that someone or some single thing can or must be blamed for it.

It could be that this was a perfectly good canopy; could be body position, could be pack job, and just a bad day.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

My post does not say that. Selling unairworthy gear is unacceptable.

Well I'm just a beginner ...

So, you haven't really been around for a long time and haven't seen a lot of structural damages that happen sometimes, even with the gear that is in a good condition? Is that what you are saying?

And from the words of the canopy owner, the dealer said than the canopy in good condition when he sell it. Now as I know from the canopy owner, Veselov keeps a silence about this incident... [:/]

... someone said something to you and you are now posting this second hand information in a public forum. Let me tell you, this is a very bad form. How about you get the canopy inspected at PD and get their opinion about the condition of the canopy before flaming a diller?

In this situation the dealer looks like cheater... Again, I do not accuse to the dealer, but it's looks so...

In fact, your whole post looks like you already KNOW that the diller sold a canopy that was not airworthy and your statements looks like a pure speculation to me.

Interesting how little seperation you and he had. You did not track at all as far as I could tell and neither did he. If he had not had the mal and opened on a heading toward you, you think you could have avoided one another? As it was, he was spinning so fast as to not be going in any particular direction and you just got your brakes released when you passed his canopy.

Why didn't you turn and track like some of the others did when the first person dumped out of the formation?

Just looked too close for comfort to me....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

don't accuse me - I do not jump with camera yet:) the event was vidotaped by one of a beginner cameramen from my home DZ. for sure, I'll tell him your comments:) and yes - it was an AFF jump.
however, we do not discuss cameraman work here...

don't accuse me - I do not jump with camera yet:) the event was vidotaped by one of a beginner cameramen from my home DZ. for sure, I'll tell him your comments:) and yes - it was an AFF jump.
however, we do not discuss cameraman work here...

Easy there, from the sound of your posts it seemed like you shot the video. Anyway, no words needed, whoever shot it did not have enough seperation (also note that I said the jumper with the mal did not seperate before deployment either). Both should review the video and learn....

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

The canopy was sold to owner by Andrey Veselov - the official PD dealer in Russia. He told that 350-400 jumps were made with the canopy and that it will need lines change not earlier than in 200 jumps. It was a third jump when the incident happend.

Just as an FYI, I like to change Vectran lines about every 400 jumps. 600 for Spectra lines. The Velo has Vectran.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!

I doubt that you have first hand knowledge of happened on the jump or the expertise to make a statement like that.

Every canopy I have examined after a malfunction causing major damage was in great condition before the malfunction. Parachutes are made out of cloth not steel. They take a tremendous amount of abuse on deployment. A brand new canopy can self destruct on the first jump if given the right set of conditions.

From the description you posted and looking at the pictures my first impression is that the canopy was loaded asymmetrical during deployment. The damage is consistent with tension knots. If you play the video slowly it appears that the jumper has his right shoulder way low at or just before line stretch. You say the jumper has over 2000 jumps, how many on a canopy like the Vel. 107?

Why is it that people today are unwilling to accept responsibility for their own actions. When things go wrong sometimes it is the fault of the person involved.

As said before, if you think this belongs in “incidents” you are in for surprise when you see a real incident.
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals