eightate8at8

Chasing your main

Just two jumps after recieving my A-license I followed a friend's main when he cut away. The DZ I was jumping at had plenty of outs around it. The S&TA asked me when I got back why I followed it down instead of landing back at the DZ. I simply told him that i felt comfortable landing out. All he said after that was "good landing." I felt comfortable doing it at this DZ, that doesn't mean that I would've done it at a different DZ though. Purely circumstantial.

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid!

a few weeks ago a guy at my local DZ had a cut away and he just went out then turned around and rode it at half brakes so he could lag behind and watch where it was going to land from a distance...then landed with everyone else. he had no problem finding it and IMO it looked to be a very safe maneuver
Jump more, Bitch less.

Earlier this summer, I watched another skydiver do a hop n pop and land in the middle of a large corn field to locate a friends main canopy. This is not a smart thing to do, but, skydivers tend to look out for each other. It's why we love this sport.

So, take a walk in a cornfield... what goes around, comes around.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Earlier this summer, I watched another skydiver do a hop n pop and land in the middle of a large corn field to locate a friends main canopy. This is not a smart thing to do, but, skydivers tend to look out for each other. It's why we love this sport.

................................................................................................

It all depends which MONTH you land in a corn field.
In the springtime, no big deal.
In August or September, you will be LOST in ten foot high corn.
In October - after harvest - no big deal.

................................................................................................

To be honest, I really don't understand corn. It goes in; then it comes out, intact. So where's the nutrition come from?
:|
Sorry for the thread drift, but the question just keeps working on me.

To be honest, I really don't understand corn. It goes in; then it comes out, intact. So where's the nutrition come from?
:|
Sorry for the thread drift, but the question just keeps working on me.

What's corn say before you eat it?

"See you tomorrow!"
Voice>
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

It might be a personal call but as a low experienced jumper (158)
Who drove truck thus constantly jumped at different DZs.
I made the personal decision early on to never do so.
And when i had my only cut away at an unfamilur DZ i was glad i did.
Once i had checked my reserve altitude and location.
(Over far end of airport. Long way from landing area but safe out.)
I did a series of gentle 360s watching where my main and freebag went down.
once i knew about where it was going turned and flew to landing area.
when i went to find my gear what had looked like a nice smooth field from 1200 feet.
Was in fact a dried up swamp with lots of high brush and extreamly rough ground.
Which could have easyly caused a leg injury from a rough landing.
So i'm glad i made the choice i did!!
But if you're at Eloy and have 5000 jumps it would be a different story.
The bottom line is i won't chase gear unless i APSOLUTLY KNOW THE AREA IT WENT DOWN IN.
Oh yeah after fruitlessly searching through high brash.
I went back to the DZ and offered 100 dollars to anyone who could find it.
went back with help and found both but my reward was refused so i happyly bought beer!!
Blue skies!

In my case, I've landed in every field on the county. We have huge wide open spaces here. Doing CRW, you sometimes land off. (in my case, more often than not). Off DZ landings do not scare me. I just try to remember my rule of thum. Pick out a field to land in by 2,000 and set up your approach by 1,000. Know the area, and know the obsticales.
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

....they might get a bit pissy if you trash a couple rows of corn.

What is this corn you speak of?

As long as you don't damage a fence getting out of the field around here, most folks are very nice. The Mcnasty's are what they are and that is universal but you do make a good point.

Always be very nice, friendly, and courteous to the landowners and don't damage anything you can help. Remember you are a guest that they did NOT invite but it doesn't mean they won't be glad you are safe.
"... this ain't a Nerf world."

you guys and girls need to think about relations with the land owners around too. they might get a bit pissy if you trash a couple rows of corn.

I hope people know better that to land in corn. That's just asking for an injury if only an ear of corn to the nuts. Then your canopy will be tangled in a bunch of rows.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I had a student that landed in a corn field safely, was able to shuffle his canopy together, turned around to walk out and had a corn leaf cut into his eye. :(

Landing OK, getting the canopy OK - walking out: Ambulance :S

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.

You didn't need to tell us that. That made me cringe.

+1

A guy cut away yesterday, someone else on the load manged to catch the freebag under canopy (no, he didnt seek it out, it just happen to float down beside him and he grabbed it). No injuries on the guy who cut away, and he got his canopy back :)

+1

A guy cut away yesterday, someone else on the load manged to catch the freebag under canopy (no, he didnt seek it out, it just happen to float down beside him and he grabbed it). No injuries on the guy who cut away, and he got his canopy back :)

If you get a chance have the guy that caught the canopy read through this.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1150793

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

+1

If you get a chance have the guy that caught the canopy read through this.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1150793

Sparky

He caught the freebag. The canopy landed in a tree. And the guy who caught the freebag as he handed it over said there "was no way in hell he'd do that with the canopy" if it had come near him, nor would he actually seek out the freebag if someone else cut away. The only reason he grabbed the freebag was bc it was RIGHT there.

ETA: Perhaps that is still pretty unsafe, but everyone landed safely and in one piece. (Also both guys have been in the sport for over a decade and have a few thousand jumps each, dont know if it makes it any better or worse...)

This is a quote by tbrown, who posts here and used as a signature line by wmw99 who also post here. I think it might apply in this situation.

"There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)"

Sparky

...manged to catch the freebag under canopy (no, he didnt seek it out, it just happen to float down beside him and he grabbed it).

That's my story for the 8-10 freebags that I've caught under canopy. Damn, those things are hard to avoid. :P

PdF indeed make the smallest reserve on the market (well, at least they used to).

Well whaddayanooooooooo? They don't! Now, there is .. the Firebird Rush 90! Count 'em folks, a whopping NINETY square feet of lifesaving F-111! :S

Pack volume 242 cubic inch, certified to impact fully 95 kg or 209 lbs at a survivable maximum descent rate according to ETSO C23d and, according to the blurb, it has "very good diving characteristics". Yeah, I bet. :o

I might as well land my wingsuit. :)

PdF Techno 98, most recent manual I have: PIA planform area 104 ft², top skin area 99 ft², bottom skin area 94 ft². Speed/weight max: 150 kts 145 lbs. Max recommended weight 124 lbs.

Firebird Rush 90, manual/website: area 90 ft². Speed/weight max: 150 kts 209 lbs. Max weight (expert): 143 lbs.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Pack volume 242 cubic inch, certified to impact fully 95 kg or 209 lbs at a survivable maximum descent rate according to ETSO C23d and, according to the blurb, it has "very good diving characteristics". Yeah, I bet.

I take it that the ETSO-C23d are different that the FAA TSO-C23d.

However, test weight must be not less than 264 lb (119.7 kg) and the test speed must be not less than 180 KEAS (333.4 km/h) for reserve and emergency parachute assemblies; for dual harness parachute assemblies for test weight must not be less than 480 lb (217.7 kg) and the test speed must not be less than 210 KEAS (388.9 km/h).

Sparkky