eightate8at8

Chasing your main

Actually, I don't think they are. But certified weight/speed is less than test weight/speed.

If I read TSO C23d correctly, you can actually flare the canopy for landing to achieve a survivable descent rate. It is legal to jump a reserve that'll pound your unconscious ass into quite a crater.
Johan.
I am. I think.

Im new at this, I have only 12 jumps. But in my 9th, i had a cut away. I did chase my main, but luckly it was near the DZ... I did spot it, and with altittude enough I went to the DZ, and had a nice landing. I recover the main a few minutes after,

You did the right thing, so far. Always make sure you stay aware of where the landing areas are and your proximity to them as well as your altitude when trying to spot or track a cut-away main.

People easily lose track of themselves when fixated on something like that and get in trouble. Even worse, they try to snatch the cutaway in mid-air. Big NO-NO. I should know.... :S
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

today in comprtition one jumper had a tention knot, he cutaway, landed his reserve and manged to catch his main.

it was falling slowly due to not being tangled much at all and having a full RDS still attached giving it even more drag.

It was quite impressive, to top it off it landed pretty much on the course too!!

:D

beer, i reckon!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Catching your main canopy under your reserve is dumb. I know. I did it once. The falling main latched onto my reserve endcell and things got very exciting in a slow, nearly boring way for about 800'. ... it cleared.
On cutaway I either follow my main or watch it land. Tip. Your Pilot chute + freebag will be only a few yards upwind or downwind of your main.
Pat Works nee Madden Travis Works, Jr .B1575, C1798, D1813, Star Crest Solo#1, USPA#189,

I recently was on a 5 way jump; after we all broke off and pulled we noticed one of the more experienced had cutaway. After time the one who cutaway was clearly folloing her main, while another and probably the most experienced followed her freebag.

Is this your own call, whether or not to follow it? Is it something that somewhat depends on your skill level? Eg. Beginner just land at DZ like normal and worry about it after safely landing vs. couple hundred jumps follow it as long as you can find a safe out

Note that even if you are a beginner and opt to land at the DZ, you can still be helpful by noting the where the main lands. If the main is down while you are still in the air (likely in a beginner scenario) note where the main is in relation to your position on the ground and a landmark beyond the main, so you can line it up later while looking at the aerial photo of the dropzone. If you can manage this twice, you can triangulate.

Personally, I like having help finding my own gear, so i try to follow other people's gear, as long as it is safe to do so.