eightate8at8

Chasing your main

I recently was on a 5 way jump; after we all broke off and pulled we noticed one of the more experienced had cutaway. After time the one who cutaway was clearly folloing her main, while another and probably the most experienced followed her freebag.

Is this your own call, whether or not to follow it? Is it something that somewhat depends on your skill level? Eg. Beginner just land at DZ like normal and worry about it after safely landing vs. couple hundred jumps follow it as long as you can find a safe out

Unless it was headed into an area with no outs, I would definitely follow my gear. But I've got a lot of experience and am comfortable landing most anywhere. If you're a beginner on a canopy you've never flown before, the right call for you might be to land at the dropzone and then go searching for it.

Yeah it is you own call. As soon as you feel comfortable with whatever landing options are out there, it's OK to chase stuff.

It is normal for anyone on the load who sees chopped gear to make sure someone is chasing it, and accept an out landing to help a fellow skydiver as long as one isn't endangering oneself.

I have seen a few cases where people should have been looking out for each other and didn't. Look around after opening, not just to avoid collisions, but see that everyone in your group are apparently safe and sound. Seeing something like a blocky all orange or all white canopy with no pilot chute is usually a sign someone got a little extra excitement on their jump...

(Note that midair catching of stuff is something different entirely. While it is done with freebags, there are potential dangers, more so with canopies, and has killed even a very experienced skydiver.)

Of course there may be local variations. Rarely a DZ may even have someone on the ground who specializes in chasing chopped stuff. Others may have some terrain around, like extensive forests or subdivisions, where you can't really land close to chopped equipment.

Something to watch out for are too many people circling around looking for gear and not watching where they are going. Or people focusing so much on the chopped gear that they don't get set up well for a landing. That can happen if chasing too closely, circling hard and close to something, instead of trying to stand off more, descending slowly and watching from above.

Then there's the question of whether to follow the main or freebag. It depends on terrain and who else is out there to help. The freebag may be harder for anyone else to spot, so sometimes one can let someone else chase the main. On the other hand, if there's a chance of losing something, it is usually a lot cheaper to lose the freebag, so chase the main.

Like a lot of things in skydiving, it is you choice what to do to not get yourself hurt.

We have the Haunted forrest near by and it seems to suck up every main and freebag, I personally have spent hours upon hours searching for my shit in there. I would rather land in trees just so I didnt have to endure the search. Just kidding. But I will follow my shit whenever it is feasible and I can land safely in the general area. I will not catch anything in the air though, although tempting not generally a good idea.

If it's my gear, I'll chase it. The first (and only) time I did this, however, I had zero experience on my reserve. My freebag and main landed in a wheat field right next to the airport and I landed next to the field. No obstacles nearby and my reserve had a lot more flare than my main so it was a very smooth landing. Finding the gear in the wheat field was a lot harder than I thought, though landing in the wheat field right next to the gear would probably not have been such a good idea either.

Don't get target lock. You recently cut away, your adrenaline level is a bit elevated, you're following something in the air, you're excited, etc. It's easy to forget things like the people around you, wind direction, altitude. Especially when skydiving is relatively new to you.

It's a choice you have to make for yourself. Though if you've got <~50 jumps I guess some people might think it's not your decision to make. Said people will probably not like it if they see you following your freebag and landing in a tight spot in the middle of a swamp with lots of dragons in it (swamp dragons) and also a lot of spears pointing upwards. It takes a skygod to pull that off. Know your limits.

It's your life, so ultimately it's your call. But I wouldn't do it.

Don't worry, 888888 has mad skillzzz.

He is asking a legitimate question and behaving himself. Back off and either answer the question or STFU.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

He is asking a legitimate question and behaving himself. Back off and either answer the question or STFU.

Sparky

BAM!!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

It's your life, so ultimately it's your call. But I wouldn't do it.

Don't worry, 888888 has mad skillzzz.

Sparky

You're right, I just couldn't help it. Forgot the ;) anyway.

The question was answered, so my 2 cents:

Never chase your gear unless you perfectly know the landing zone and its surroundings.

A friend of mine (+ 3000 jumps) broke a vertebra at a previously unknown DZ following his main.
He saw the fence he was about to land on at only 30/40 feet, focusing on the gear until the last seconds. He made a low turn to avoid the obstacle, in half brakes but under a 98 sf reserve.
Personally, my health isn't worth it.

A friend of mine (+ 3000 jumps) broke a vertebra at a previously unknown DZ following his main.
He saw the fence he was about to land on at only 30/40 feet, focusing on the gear until the last seconds. He made a low turn to avoid the obstacle, in half brakes but under a 98 sf reserve.

I does take a certain amount of skill as well as a measure of good judgement to willingly take a parachute someplace other than the confines of your friendly neighborhood drop-zone.

Your friend thought he had it, but didn't...at least you KNOW your limitations, always a good thing.

But do be aware that there may come a time or situation that
you'll have to make an unplanned off field landing...think about what you might need to do as well as what NOT to do...just in case. (low turning a small reserve in 1/2 brakes for instance)

To answer the OP's question~ I've always followed my main down...must be an 'old school' thing.

It's MY parachute, I wanna get it back fast and no one handles your gear as carefully as you do.
I want to actually SEE what the problem is that required it to be chopped in the 1st place.

If I can't land right next to it, I'll take the closest available open area near it.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Its your call.

No main is worth my life, so if it is going somewhere that could be dangerous, I just try my best to spot it and land at the DZ with directions.

However, if it looks like it might land in an open field I might follow it, and have done hop n pops to land next to gear before.

BTW the same answers can be applied to a down jumper.

If I can land next to them and not risk getting hurt AND I think I can render aid... I'll land with them.

But if I think I might get hurt as well. I just record the location as best I can and land at the DZ to get medical help there as fast as possible.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My first and only cutaway was on jump 83 and I followed my main and freebag down (they were falling straight down very near each other).

But before I did I performed a full canopy control check. I then checked the ground and saw I had literally dozens of places to land below me and wouldn't make it back to the DZ anyway. So I stayed safely away from my gear. I kept one eye on my gear and also made sure to fly a pattern that would set me up for a safe landing. I identified the general area it would land in and then focused completely on my landing.

My main was 75yds away in the same field I landed in. My freebag was in the yard of a house bordering the field.

I wouldn't tell someone they should do as I did, but I think it can be done safely (even for someone without high jump numbers). It's something for a (low jump number jumper) to talk about with their S&TA and respected instructors and decide whether it's something they could try at their skill level (and only if the circumstances make is safe to do so).

You're right, I just couldn't help it. Forgot the Wink anyway.

The question was answered, so my 2 cents:

Never chase your gear unless you perfectly know the landing zone and its surroundings.

Your story shows more reasoning for not having a 98 SF reserve than it does for not following gear down. You can't be afraid to land out under your reserve.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

in half brakes but under a 98 sf reserve.

If you are going to jump a doily for a reserve you stand a good chance of busting your ass landing it. It may look cool right up until the time you need to use it.
By the way, who makes a 98 sq. ft. reserve?

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

PdF indeed make the smallest reserve on the market (well, at least they used to).

PdF Techno 98, most recent manual I have: PIA planform area 104 ft², top skin area 99 ft², bottom skin area 94 ft². Speed/weight max: 150 kts 145 lbs. Max recommended weight 124 lbs.

Compare:

PD Reserve or Optimum 99, manual/website: area 99 ft². Speed/weight max: 150 kts 220 lbs. Max weight (expert): 149 lbs.

Aerodyne Smart 99, manual: area 99 ft² (bottom skin). Speed/weight max: 150 kts 220 lbs. Max recommended weight: 122 lbs.

All read "You're stupid if you use this reserve if you weigh more than about half a feather." The French one also reads as either "We didn't even bother to test it for even a medium featherweight" and/or "We couldn't get it certified for even a medium featherweight" but definitely as "It's illegal to jump this reserve as a medium featherweight, let alone heavier."

Frankly, I think the world market for these reserves is about two people. And both those girls could do with some food. :P

Johan.
I am. I think.

However, if it looks like it might land in an open field I might follow it, and have done hop n pops to land next to gear before.

When have you ever done a hop n pop to land next to hear??? ;)

I agree with Ron completely.
Wind Tunnel and Skydiving Coach http://www.ariperelman.com

And if your friend weighed more than 120 pounds, his biggest mistake was his equipment choice before he ever stepped foot in the airplane. A friend of mine recently got a 98(?) sq ft Smart reserve. He's tiny, but we're similar sizes and I wouldn't jump that small of an F111 canopy! Its insane. If you're a 90lb girl its one thing, but if you're a human being of average size you're way overloading it.. Especially if you're not used to 7 cells..

Your friend's mistake was not landing off - it was buying a reserve way too small for him.

And if your friend weighed more than 120 pounds, his biggest mistake was his equipment choice before he ever stepped foot in the airplane. A friend of mine recently got a 98(?) sq ft Smart reserve. He's tiny, but we're similar sizes and I wouldn't jump that small of an F111 canopy! Its insane. If you're a 90lb girl its one thing, but if you're a human being of average size you're way overloading it.. Especially if you're not used to 7 cells..

Your friend's mistake was not landing off - it was buying a reserve way too small for him.

There are two subjects here:

The size of his reserve, indeed very small (It was a Parachutes de France btw). That’s why I pointed it out. His main is a 79 sq ft Velocity, and he’s a good swooper.
He had already landed this reserve three times, was feeling safe under it (He obviously wasn't), and made a costly mistake.

The original subject is whether you follow or not your cutaway main; my advice, especially to someone with low jump numbers, is to be really careful, and to think twice before doing so. Why? If:

- You’re at a previously unjumped DZ, not knowing the specific dangers of the area
- You’re under a wing you’ve never flown before
- You’re lower than usual
- Your stress level is higher than usual
- You’re focusing on an object flying nearby

You’re asking for trouble.

I personally landed out a lot of times for my jump numbers at different locations (For reasons which are a different subject) and have no trouble with it (It can be quite fun actually.), but under part or all of those conditions, I wouldn’t do it.

I personally landed out a lot of times for my jump numbers at different locations (For reasons which are a different subject) and have no trouble with it (It can be quite fun actually.), but under part or all of those conditions, I wouldn’t do it.

I hear you on that. I was indoctrinated to landing out a lot very early on since the guys I did CRW with weren't very good at getting back tot he DZ. I don't see why everyone gets so freaked out over it. Probably because so many people turn of their brain and don't pay attention to the wind direction since they're just going to land in the direction the arrow tells them to.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

I especially agree with you floflo concerning the unfamiliar DZ.. When this happened, I had only jumped at this DZ 4 or 5 times.

Ironically, 2 jumps before this event I had asked someone about the surrounding area due to someone landing off. This individual mentioned to me a barb wire fence that surrounded a field. Then, on the next jump (the jump before the cutaway jump) both me and the person who told me about it were way out due to being first out of the plane. Without him having told me about the barbed wire fence I probably would have landed within reach of it, but I took appropriate measures to avoid it.. Just my little story