skymama

Way to kick someone when they're down

This makes me sick

Cop who fell on the job sues family of baby who almost drowned

An officer who went to help when a baby fell in a pool says she slipped in a puddle.
Rene Stutzman

In January, 1-year-old Joey Cosmillo wandered into the backyard and fell into the family pool. When his mother hauled him out, he wasn't breathing. Rescuers were able to bring him back to life, but he suffered severe brain damage and cannot walk, talk or even swallow.

Now, his family faces another burden: One of the rescuers, Casselberry police Sgt. Andrea Eichhorn, is suing, alleging the family left a puddle of water on the floor that afternoon, causing her to slip and fall.

The boy's grandparents, named in the suit, are mystified and angry.

"The loss we've suffered, and she's seeking money?" said Richard Cosmillo, 69, the boy's grandfather. "Of course there's going to be water in the house. He was sopping wet when we brought him in."

Eichhorn last week sued Richard Cosmillo; his wife, Maggie Cosmillo; and the boy's mother, Angela Cosmillo, accusing them of negligence. They were careless, according to the suit, and allowed the home they shared to become unsafe.

As a consequence, Eichhorn broke her knee, something that kept her off the job for two months, according to police Chief John Pavlis.

Joey now lives in a nursing home five miles away, where he gets 24-hour care. He breathes through one tube. He's fed through another.

"He doesn't have any abilities -- any," his grandmother said. "He can't sit. He can't swallow. He can't eat. We're not even sure he can see."

She and Richard Cosmillo are the boy's legal guardians. For the first two months after the accident, she remained at his bedside, never once going home.

She has now gone back to work at a furniture store, and her husband keeps watch on the boy. He visits every day.

"This thing," Maggie Cosmillo said, "has destroyed our lives forever."

The baby's mother was the only one home Jan. 9, when the boy slipped out of the house and wound up in the pool, according to a police report.

She plunged in and dragged him out, carrying him inside, down a hallway and into a bedroom. She also called 911.

Eichhorn arrived a few minutes later. As she stepped into the room where rescuers were working on the boy, she slipped and went down on one knee, then stood back up, according to Richard Cosmillo.

Later that day, she went to an emergency care center and eventually to an orthopedist, according to her attorney, David Heil.

While she was on medical leave, Pavlis said, the city's insurer paid her medical bills and provided disability checks.

Eichhorn, a 12-year department veteran, would not discuss the suit. Her attorney said those benefits, paid by the city's workers' compensation carrier, were not enough. The suit seeks an unspecified amount of money.

Eichhorn, he said, is a victim. Her knee aches, and she will likely develop arthritis.

If the Cosmillos had made their pool baby-proof, police would not have been called to the scene, there would have been no water on the floor, and Eichhorn would not have hurt herself, he said.

"It's a situation where the Cosmillos have caused these problems, brought them on themselves, then tried to play the victim," he said.

The department's personnel file on Eichhorn, who earns $48,000 a year, is filled with letters of praise. She has worked as a prostitution decoy and a hostage negotiator, and once wrestled a box of razor blades away from a person threatening suicide.

"She is the best sergeant within the police department and should become the next lieutenant," her supervisor wrote in a job review in 2003.

"Sgt. Eichhorn is a good officer," Pavlis said Tuesday.

He urged her not to file the lawsuit, he said, but there was nothing he could do.

The Cosmillos have not given the suit much attention, they say.

Richard Cosmillo is busy looking after Joey, whose name he had tattooed over his heart a few days after the accident, when doctors told the family the boy would survive only a few hours.

But Joey, now almost 23 months old, has survived. He can smile, and he appears to recognize music, his grandparents say. His grandfather hopes for much more.

"Joey is a Roman gladiator. He is an absolute warrior," Richard Cosmillo said. "There isn't anything or anyone in this world that I love as much as him."

Rene Stutzman can be reached at [email protected] or 407-324-7294.

The cop was only out of work for 2 months, her bills were paid and she had disability checks. You're expected to stop in the middle of giving your child CPR to mop the floor? :S
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

Im with you on this one Andrea, what a shitty example of a cop. God forbid this ever happen to one of her kids.... some people don't give a shit and will sue whoever, just to pad their bank account. I'd like to kick that hooch in her bad knee if I ever ran into her....>:(

My first reaction to the first couple of lines was 'media sensationalizing procedure', as medical insurers usually require a person injured in a residence to 'sue' the homeowner to collect a portion of the medical bills via homeowner's insurance liability.

However, if this lawsuit was by choice, and her medical bills were paid (and if they weren't, hello worker's comp?! :S) -and this woman is still seeking to press a lawsuit, then that has got to be the most low, base, vile, thing I can imagine a 'public servant' doing. >:(

~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

However, if this lawsuit was by choice, and her medical bills were paid (and if they weren't, hello worker's comp?! ) -and this woman is still seeking to press a lawsuit, then that has got to be the most low, base, vile, thing I can imagine a 'public servant' doing.

Well, it said her Chief urged her not to file, so I read that as she was doing that by choice.

First time I've ever wanted to call a woman the "C" word.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

This 'cop' is what I refer to as human garbage.

We all have choices in our lives to make. Instead of having some compassion and perhaps doing what she can to help this suffering family, she chose to add to the suffering.>:(

Karma, please come quickly!

If this goes to a jury, I wouldn't be surprised if she was awarded nothing but an 'Asshole of the Year' button.

However, if this lawsuit was by choice, and her medical bills were paid (and if they weren't, hello worker's comp?! ) -and this woman is still seeking to press a lawsuit, then that has got to be the most low, base, vile, thing I can imagine a 'public servant' doing.

Well, it said her Chief urged her not to file, so I read that as she was doing that by choice.

First time I've ever wanted to call a woman the "C" word.

Awe, c'mon, just say it! CUNT CUNT CUNT! :D

Awe, c'mon, just say it! CUNT CUNT CUNT!

Back in the day, I thought that was one of the words that was blocked on the site. I didn't even try it.

She's a Cunt! :ph34r: Great, now I'll probably get pulled over the next time I'm in Casselberry. :P

Awe, c'mon, just say it! CUNT CUNT CUNT!

Back in the day, I thought that was one of the words that was blocked on the site. I didn't even try it.

She's a Cunt! :ph34r: Great, now I'll probably get pulled over the next time I'm in Casselberry. :P

better hope it's not raining if you are pulled over, the officer could slip on that slippery road that you made him walk on.

I won't even give me opinion of cops right now. I'm still toooo pissed at them.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

the you can use the other C word....COP!

That's too good of a word for her. Aren't they supposed to serve and protect, or did that go out with bell bottoms and 8 track tapes?

Next thing you know, she'll be suing Federal, Speer, or Hornady for making the bullets the crook used to shoot at her, causing her to duck under a car, and bruising her knee.
Were I her, I'd be embarassed that as a trained peace officer, she wasn't enough aware of her environment to prevent her from falling on her knees (or ass).
More likely, she's probably been teased to death by fellow officers, so this lawsuit is a means of recovering her ego.

I would like to hear Sgt Andrea Eichhorns side of this story and, if it's anything like it sounds, would like to help her grow. But how do you teach Honor, Respect and Compassion? Obviously she didn't learn it in the Police Academy. Nor do I think there would be any classes or training situations on "doing the right thing."

It was on duty, during an EMERGENCY. She's just abusing the system and adding to why the legal system is broke.

If the story is told as correct.... she has A LOT of growing to do (cuz right now, she's below the value of the worms outside)

That's absurb!!! That's ridiculous, and WRONG!!!!! These people take an oath, and her bills were paid by disability. That's just ridiculously wrong!!! It makes me so upset that they're doing this. It's absolutely wrong!!!!

CReW Skies,
bubbles
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

Keep in mind that her insurer may be the one suing.

And it would most likely be The Parents/Grandparents Home Owners Insurance that is the one actually being sued.

So it really could just be one insurance company sueing another insurance company. In the end, (Just like almost all Law suits) the only winners are the Liars Opps I mean Lawyers and everyones insurance rates go up.

Keep in mind that her insurer may be the one suing.

Possibly, but it still sounds like to me that it is her:

"He (referring to her Supervisor) urged her not to file the lawsuit, he said, but there was nothing he could do. "