mnealtx

Booties / Shoe goo

I recall reading several threads on here about putting Shoe Goo on your booties (the leather part) to protect them.

I just had a random thought: Why not take them to a shoe repair place, and have a set of half soles trimmed and sewn to the bottom of the leather? That would protect the leather from abrasion much better than Shoe Goo, I would think...

Your thoughts?
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I like to put the shoe goo not just on the bottoms, but also in the seam and about 1 inch up the sides. Really protects the booties.

That combined with a half sole sounds like it would be bulletproof!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Why not take them to a shoe repair place, and have a set of half soles trimmed and sewn to the bottom of the leather? That would protect the leather from abrasion much better than Shoe Goo, I would think...

Cost!:P Actually i never thought of it. It is probably one of those things that you learn when you buy your first suit, then you tell the next newbie when they buy their first suit and so on.B|

Never look down on someone, unless they are going down on you.

I like to put the shoe goo not just on the bottoms, but also in the seam and about 1 inch up the sides. Really protects the booties.

If you rewrite it slightly it takes a whole new meaning. Like this:

"I like to put the shoe goo not just my bottom, but also in the seam and about 1 inch up the sides. Really protects the bootie"

see what I mean?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Shoo Goo was great when i was skateboarding before my shoe sponsor, that stuff kept my shoes from falling apart!
And my old RW suit had that stuff all over the booties to the point that it was almost a rigid wing!
Besure and place something very soild behind the work surface (fabric) and get plenty of sticks because the one they give you will get nasty quick.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Why not take them to a shoe repair place, and have a set of half soles trimmed and sewn to the bottom of the leather? That would protect the leather from abrasion much better than Shoe Goo, I would think...

Cost!:P Actually i never thought of it. It is probably one of those things that you learn when you buy your first suit, then you tell the next newbie when they buy their first suit and so on.B|

It was a random thought I had, when I went and got my boots shined the other week...was looking at the guy's display case where he shows the different shoe soles and started thinking....
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Shoo Goo on the sole is not enough, because side walls also wear out quickly.
I have sewn webbing side walls on dozens of booties because that was where they wore the worst.

I like that idea, too!! What did you use for the reinforcement?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I used an old credit card when I gooed up the booties on my new wingsuit. The goo actually peeled right off of the credit card when dry, if the card wasn't expired it could probably be used again.

The downside to using a shoe repair store is that you don't get high off the fumes.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Shoe Goo, when done right, really works. The half-sole idea ain't bad either! I have a customer who, as soon as he gets to the DZ, puts his jumpsuit on and wears it all day long! About every three weeks, I have to put new leather and surrounding material on the booties. I have suggested, he tuck the booties up the jumpsuit legs when he's not jumping. His response? "It doesn't look cool!" Well! Duh, me! I have used half-sole leather and he complained that it was 'too thick'.:P What is really a bitch to work with is when, bootie repairs are made with Duct Tape or Gaffer's tape. I have to soak the booties in Naphtha so I can remove the adhesive.

Chuck

Type 12 and Type 8 webbing both work well for sidewalls. I have also used Type 4, square weave tape 1.5 inches wide.
Hint: the last suit was so far gone, that it was easier to completely remove the sole, sew on sidewalls, then re-attach the sole.

Type 12 and Type 8 webbing both work well for sidewalls. I have also used Type 4, square weave tape 1.5 inches wide.
Hint: the last suit was so far gone, that it was easier to completely remove the sole, sew on sidewalls, then re-attach the sole.

I appreciate the tips, everyone!

I think I may wait on the shoe goo until after I have reinforcements made for the booties... THEN do the shoe goo and half soles. Should make it a good long time before the booties need more work!
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I used an old credit card when I gooed up the booties on my new wingsuit. The goo actually peeled right off of the credit card when dry, if the card wasn't expired it could probably be used again.

The downside to using a shoe repair store is that you don't get high off the fumes.

I am a retired senior citizen on a fixed income; I don't have a credit card. [:/]:(
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Shoe Goo, when done right, really works ... What is really a bitch to work with is when, bootie repairs are made with Duct Tape or Gaffer's tape.

Does Shoe Goo affect how easy it is to repair booties?

Yes, it does. I have found that Shoe Goo, is incredibly difficult to try to sew through. It is also extremly difficult to remove without the use of strong solvents. In replacing the sole leather, I have also had to remove the material between the sole and the top of the bootie. As a replacement for the strip of material running between the sole and top, I use Type-12 webbing and about a 4-oz leather for the sole. Where the bootie has been 'toe-dragged', I'll sew a piece of Type-12 webbing over the area and hot-knife it the rounded shape of the toe. This method is for 'extreme' wear cases. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

Shoe Goo, when done right, really works ... What is really a bitch to work with is when, bootie repairs are made with Duct Tape or Gaffer's tape.

Yes, it does. I have found that Shoe Goo, is incredibly difficult to try to sew through. It is also extremly difficult to remove without the use of strong solvents. In replacing the sole leather, I have also had to remove the material between the sole and the top of the bootie. As a replacement for the strip of material running between the sole and top, I use Type-12 webbing and about a 4-oz leather for the sole. Where the bootie has been 'toe-dragged', I'll sew a piece of Type-12 webbing over the area and hot-knife it the rounded shape of the toe. This method is for 'extreme' wear cases. Hope, this helps.

Chuck

So, if I were to have these reinforcing strips sewn to the bootie, then the half-sole I mentioned above, the shoe goo wouldn't be needed?
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I am a retired senior citizen on a fixed income; I don't have a credit card. [:/]:(

When I was doing home health I heard "I am retired, I am on a fixed income" from everyone one of my patients..
I was making about 12$ per hour and usally got the same amount of hours every week.. therefore my income was also fixed!
I would always tell these people that we all have fixed incomes to some degree, other more fortunate people just have higher fixed incomes then we do.
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Chuck

So, if I were to have these reinforcing strips sewn to the bootie, then the half-sole I mentioned above, the shoe goo wouldn't be needed?

The shoe goo, really does help save the sole leather. I would be willing to believe, the majority of skydivers who wear bootie-suits, know how to make them last. I think, the one's I've had to deal with are more concerned with looking cool. Well, Duh me! Isn't that what it's all about?:D The half soles you mentioned would work well. The leather has to be dipped in warm water for about 3-seconds. Shaped around the edges, allowed to slowly dry, then, sewn on. It really amazes me, how easily it sews, also. You could probably get away without the Shoe Goo.

Chuck

The shoe goo, really does help save the sole leather. I would be willing to believe, the majority of skydivers who wear bootie-suits, know how to make them last. I think, the one's I've had to deal with are more concerned with looking cool. Well, Duh me! Isn't that what it's all about?:D The half soles you mentioned would work well. The leather has to be dipped in warm water for about 3-seconds. Shaped around the edges, allowed to slowly dry, then, sewn on. It really amazes me, how easily it sews, also. You could probably get away without the Shoe Goo.

I was thinking of the thin rubber soles like what you see for dress shoes... after all, it only has to stand up for the back and forth between the hangar and the plane/landing zone...
Mike
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I was thinking of the thin rubber soles like what you see for dress shoes... after all, it only has to stand up for the back and forth between the hangar and the plane/landing zone...

O.K. I gotcha now. As long as they are flexible enough to be turned back, right-side out after sewing them. They would definately last.

Chuck