fraja

Neptune or OPTIMA

Hello All,

I have tried to purchase VISO, but is not available (yet).

So, i need to purchase a altimeter, and i would like to know your opnion about OPTIMA and NEPTUNE.

I would like to know who is the best ?!

Thanks,

ps: im sorry about my english.

Fraja.

They are two different products.

The Neptune works as an audible altimeter, a visual altimeter and a digital logbook.

The Optima works as an audible only, but also has a plug to connect an LED that offers visual warnings.

Both have canopy alarms.

The Neptune is more expensive, but not significantly so when the extra features are considered.

Which is better depends on what you need out of the device.

For Great Deals on Gear

Hi Cris,

Thanks for the answer.

I would like to purchase a digital/audible altimeter with jumplog feature.

Neptune has a price a little expensive, but the major ppl here uses. Optima has a nice price, but, i dont know nobody that uses... because it, i'm writting... to ask about the quality/performance/funcionality.

Best Regards,

Fraja

Neptune has a price a little expensive, but the major ppl here uses. Optima has a nice price, but, i dont know nobody that uses... because it, i'm writting... to ask about the quality/performance/funcionality.

The Optima is nice, and works well. It does not have a logging facility, nor is it a visual altimeter. It's only an audible altimeter.

I am currently looking for an alti with logging capabilities (especially fall rates etc.). I do have a pro-dytter for audible alarms.

I was looking at the Neptune, but after doing some searches here and looking at the reviews have become very concerned about the quality / reliability / bug issues.

Firstly I do not like the idea of an alti malfunctioning mid-air and secondly I live in OZ and not so sure I could get the type of service back-up you get in the States (especially time it would take to ship forth and back for service / replacement).

So I have been sitting and waiting to check out the new L&B products first. Like the alti-track features but the price set for it down here is very high. The VISO looks like an alternative but will wait until I see feed-back here and fully understand it’s logging capabilities. I know it has less features then the Neptune, but if it has enough features for my needs I probably buy it based on the product quality I know L&B provide.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

This is true...

I've had my neptune tell turn into a stopwatch in freefall, telling me how long i'd been falling...

Also it told me i climbed from 6k to 10k, interesting, as i could have sworn i was at terminal.

All in all a heap of DogShit.
quote 'you are to go around... next time extend your landing gear'

Afaik, the VISO is ONLY a visual digital altimeter, with no logging or audible facilities.

For logging, get a pro-track. That is not being replaced.

Yes, not an audible, but L&B web site states:

Digital Alti-Meter- Stores detailed altitude information about the last jump for later review
Digital Speed-Meter- Stores detailed speed information about the last jump for later review
Jump Counter- Electronic logbook, storing and displaying information about the last 200 jumps.
- Can be used to keep track on the number of jumps on a rig.
- Can be reset at any time, but time and date for the last reset remains stored and cannot be erased.
---------------------------------------------------------
When people look like ants - pull. When ants look like people - pray.

Afaik, the VISO is ONLY a visual digital altimeter, with no logging or audible facilities.

For logging, get a pro-track. That is not being replaced.

Yes, not an audible, but L&B web site states:

Digital Alti-Meter- Stores detailed altitude information about the last jump for later review
Digital Speed-Meter- Stores detailed speed information about the last jump for later review
Jump Counter- Electronic logbook, storing and displaying information about the last 200 jumps.
- Can be used to keep track on the number of jumps on a rig.
- Can be reset at any time, but time and date for the last reset remains stored and cannot be erased.

That is indeed interesting. Their promotional flyers don't mention the logbook feature at all. I wonder if that is a feature that has been added recently, just before product launch, or whether they simply failed to mention the feature on their initial promotion.

For Great Deals on Gear

It seems to be only a ONE jump (detailed) logbook, though. Their website also doesn't say whether you can download this info to jumptrack or whatever software program you may have.

We will have to see what they finally decide to come out with. It is just a matter of code writing and available memory to add additional features to it.

I give up.

There's only so many times I can post the same info before I go postal. Please read what was posted in this thread, and in about five others over the last ten days.

I have a VISO. It IS a logbook. It keeps speeds, altis, etc for the last 200 jumps, and keeps detailed, real-time playable data for the last 5-10 jumps (can't remember which). It also keeps a running count of all jumps on the VISO. It DOES NOT have the ability to download to a computer (as of now). In the couple hundred jumps I've put on it... it works great, ZERO glitches, battery is still full, and it's accurate as hell. It has no audibles and is primarily a digital visual alti with on-board logging. Great product, but for the audible/logging/downloading, you'll still want a Pro-Track.
Oh, hello again!

I want one - I want one - I want one - I want one B|

I'm glad that it has more memory than just one jump. Their website always said "the last jump" whenever it talked about storing detailed data. I was like WTF - what good is a one jump logbook?

I'm sure that by the time they release it to the rest of us unlucky souls it will have downloading capability.

I want one - I want one - I want one - I want one :D